Single Turbo size for a everyday work truck.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the MPD single pedestal kit and a SXE Turbo. What turbo size would you recommend for a normal everyday truck? I tow and want it to perform the best for that application. The 366 seems popular but what size exhaust housing? Can I run this turbo with no wastegate?

Thanks in advance

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
dont go bigger than 66. hit me up , we sell the MPD and H&S Kits, in stock and make the intake that works the best with them.

Reaction score
If you're going to be towing often, we suggest the 64.5mm to our customers. They run really well and stay on boost while towing. Definitely my personal favorite for the 6.4 in that application. Give Mike a call. He can get you set up with anything you need.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
i havent tried a 64.5 single but tried 62/63/66/71 (before the sxe series came out) and everyone of them with around 15k towed like a bag of dicks. that was using multiple tuners and also a truck with 4.10's and 4.88's . A drop in atmo would be a much better deal to tow with imho, which no limit etc sells as well

Reaction score
I'd be willing to put the 64.5 SX-E up against a drop in atmo. Especially we want to compare EGT's, drive pressure and longevity.

cbking

Reaction score
Will a 69SXE be bad for towing? Truck doesn't see a trailer much but I want to be able to still tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'd be willing to put the 64.5 SX-E up against a drop in atmo. Especially we want to compare EGT's, drive pressure and longevity.

Will a 69SXE be bad for towing? Truck doesn't see a trailer much but I want to be able to still tow.

As far as EGT on stock fuel you are taking a drastic drop when adding a 72 drop in over stock HP. Like 2-300* drop. We've sold the 364.5's and they do work well, but overall towing it's not a fair comparison. Can you tow with it? Absolutely, but it's still not the same. Slower response and does require a lot more downshifting to keep the SXE happy vs a drop in. If you run the 74x68 turbine to help spool, ebp will be lower than a drop in, but it's still up there. Same conditions looking at 45/60 boost to ebp with a 364/68 vs 45/70 ratio with drop ins. Overall it is up to the customer what they want. Both have their purpose. If it was a truck that spend most it's like towing and towing heavy I would stay drop in. If it's moderate towing I would say you will be fine with an appropriate sized non vgt single.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I don't tow everyday but defiantly use the truck at times. Basically I'm saying it is not my race car. It is just a everyday truck

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I don't tow everyday but defiantly use the truck at times. Basically I'm saying it is not my race car. It is just a everyday truck

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

not have used the sxe series on a towing truck i would still go drop in, a drop in will make plenty of power to max out stock fuel.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
It really is amazing how much better the SX-E series over the previous S300's.

we run them all of the time just not on dedicated tow rigs. If a 64.5 spools like a 62 & has power of a 66 then I would still favor a drop in because of the tuning and nature of a single all around when trying to tow. Just opinions, I wouldnt suggest it to any of my hot shot guys etc

Reaction score
The biggest reason I have for getting away from using the factory style setup is the undeniable drive pressure issues they have. Just my personal findings though.

Jomax

Reaction score
The biggest reason I have for getting away from using the factory style setup is the undeniable drive pressure issues they have. Just my personal findings though.

Even for people that will never have dual fuelers?

Can't imagine anymore lag then what I have now... and I know a non vgt setup will be worse.

Reaction score
This is on a 6.4 Jomax. The 6.4 has high drive pressures with the VGT turbos and the problem is compounded by the fact that they also have gasket issues.

I won't argue that a non VGT is likely going to be slower spooling than the VGT setup but, I can tell you that a 64.5mm SX-E really isn't much slower than the factory setup.

Jomax

Reaction score
This is on a 6.4 Jomax. The 6.4 has high drive pressures with the VGT turbos and the problem is compounded by the fact that they also have gasket issues.

I won't argue that a non VGT is likely going to be slower spooling than the VGT setup but, I can tell you that a 64.5mm SX-E really isn't much slower than the factory setup.

That's what I get for not checking where I'm posting LOL .

purplepstroke

Reaction score
As far as drive pressure. I have 69/75 factory style turbos and am at 40 psi boost running 40 psi drive pressure. high rpm might be a different story but most people dont drive at 3500rpm all day.

Latest posts

Members online