6.4 blew up again

Fly By Night

Reaction score
A friend's 6.4 just ate its second engine at 215k, we are deciding weather we should repair or sell it as is, I am looking for input on its value.

-Tuned/ EGT/ EGR removed
-New Ford engine @ 150k
-Leather interior in good shape
-4 Door, long bed F-350

It runs currently with a knock and low compression in one hole.

What is it worth as is/ with a rebuilt engine in it?

sootie

Reaction score
Impossible to estimate value without knowing 4x4 or 2wd, trim level, pic of condition etc

Petro

Reaction score
To me, even in perfect condition with every bell and whistle available, they arnt worth much more than 5 to 7 grand. By the time you stick 7 or 8 grand in them to get it running and do everything correct, your already very deep in a pickup that is 10 years old that has a terrible reputation. This is also doing the work myself. Paying a shop 15+ grand to put a motor in them is almost completely out of the question if you ask me but alot of people do it. And after all that, you still have a 6.4 that may or may not **** a pump out, eat a lifter, or hang an injector before another 100k is up. I'm not a fan, seen too many customers go damn near broke on these trucks because they're steaming piles.

Last edited:

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
It may be worth more to him repaired than cash value. For a non runner he won't get a lot. For a few grand he could probably get a good motor in it, ******d, new rockers, lifters, ect.

Just my 2c. If he sells it for a few grand, then tries to buy something else he could be spending a lot more for an engine he knows nothing about.
I wouldn't have someone else do the work, though, especially not the dealer. That's too much money for the truck; fully running it's not going to be worth the cost of a dealer replacement engine. It's definitely a mechanic's special at this point.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Impossible to estimate value without knowing 4x4 or 2wd, trim level, pic of condition etc

Sorry, some of those were pretty gross oversites.

4wd, the front end is tired, I'm not sure the trim level, I think it was custom ordered, it has leather seats no heat, no compass, power adjustable pedals, I can't figure it out. The exterior has some dents, the interior will clean up to damn near new with a good detail minus a crack on the side of the drivers seat.

co04cobra

Reaction score
It’s worth 5k MAX in immaculate shape needing a engine. The screw up was putting a engine in it through ford. That’s why you’ve had a repeated failure.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
It’s worth 5k MAX in immaculate shape needing a engine. The screw up was putting a engine in it through ford. That’s why you’ve had a repeated failure.

One of the vendors on here did the engine, I dont care whose engine it is the bottom end is going to have issues WHEN then injectors decide to act up.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Here are some pics, I hope this helps give a better idea of value. Sorry for the blurry pics, I just cracked my camera lens.

Tuned and ******d
Factory 20's and 35's
Leveled
Fab Fours front bumper
Firestone Airbags in the rear
Camper shell
Leather interior
4WD 6.4 1 Ton
216k miles

What do you think the truck is worth as it sits? How much if any do the accessories add to the value of the truck?

Attachments

• IMG_20190403_125252212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190403_125252212_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190403_125242000_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190403_125242000_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190403_125307269_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190403_125307269_HDR.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Its doesnt photograph well with the safari racks on it but it looks to be in fair condition. Blown up i would be at 2800-3400...

Ive passed on cleaner specimens blown up at 3500 bucks.
The shop i used to help at is building two 6.4s. They git a super clean 09 fx4 lariat for 2500 and a 10 lariat for 3k that only had 62k on it. Both needed motors.

Edit:those bumpers and racks sour it for me. Id have to find stock bumpers to replace them

Strokersace

Reaction score
So did I just miss it somewhere or is there no mention of what year it is? Is it a 2010 model Or an 08 model that came out in early 07?

Connor M

Reaction score
It's an '08 with a build date of 4/07

I'm not real literate on these, what does that change?

The engine got progressively better as time went on. little things like radiators, hoses, programming, etc. Generally the trucks got better as time went on as they fixed the little issues that came up and were noticed. 2010 is the best while a job 1 08 that didn't have some of the recalls done is gonna have the most quirks and annoyances.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
The engine got progressively better as time went on. little things like radiators, hoses, programming, etc. Generally the trucks got better as time went on as they fixed the little issues that came up and were noticed. 2010 is the best while a job 1 08 that didn't have some of the recalls done is gonna have the most quirks and annoyances.

My first 08 had a build date of 02/07 and was one of the most solid trucks I have owned.

gwunter

Reaction score
To me that's a nice looking truck except the top rack over the topper.....the front bumper doesn't help much either, but not as bad as that topper rack thing.

Im not in the market nor have I followed it lately, but I'm kinda surprised that truck is potentially a 4k$ truck as it sits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
To me that's a nice looking truck except the top rack over the topper.....the front bumper doesn't help much either, but not as bad as that topper rack thing.

Im not in the market nor have I followed it lately, but I'm kinda surprised that truck is potentially a 4k$ truck as it sits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

12 years old....worst engine platform in a superduty. Paying for the truck as a roller basically

Connor M

Reaction score
Any idea on how bad it is? did he pop the block or just put a hole in a cylinder?
If the block's useable... race truck time.

EPA

Reaction score
Would it be worth more parting it out?
I see complete interiors like that going for 1500-2000.
Plus the complete front end swap could be worth something.
100-150 bucks for the oem mirrors.
Wheels and tires could bring at the least $400.
Rack, bumper, bed ect... Some decent parts there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online