7.3 PSD Shopping - I put appreciated

rman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had posted last week about an OBS, but that ship has sailed.

Looking at a 2002 2wd CCSB Lariat right now. 261k asking $8750. No sunroof, no EATC.
Has some sort of intake, some sort of exhaust. Downpipe looks like it's welded on?
Tried to get the boot off the turbo but couldn't wrestle it off. Was in a weird position, I'm in my work clothes, and everything is oily.
Owner has only had it 3 mos. Said he had a change of heart. 1 owner before him.
No blowby. Or perhaps the oil cap was sealed on with oil residue.

Claims no leaks, the entire underside is coated in oil, as well as under the hood, supposedly from a HPOP hose bursting on the freeway

In addition to some opinions on the above - I was wondering what the idle is like on 7.3
Sitting in the driver's seat, it has a fair amount of vibration. I just sold my 03 6.0L 3 weeks ago and it sat super smooth at idle. So not sure if it's normal for the 7.3

Also, letting off the gas, there is an audible woosh from the turbo, is that normal?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SIG Sauer

wildbill963258

Reaction score
The turbo whoosh is normal but the vibration is not especially if you can feel it in the seat. The only time I have felt a vibration from any of my 7.3's is when they weren't running on all 8 cylinders. The super duty 7.3 is even smoother than the obs (my Dad has an 02 that we used to ride in a lot together) so that thing definitely has some sort of problem and without further discussion of what it's doing no one will be able to tell you if it's worth buying or not. (Sounds like to me the current owner has a bunch of problems with it and instead of fixing it he wants to sell it and let someone else deal with them)

rman

Reaction score
The turbo whoosh is normal but the vibration is not especially if you can feel it in the seat. The only time I have felt a vibration from any of my 7.3's is when they weren't running on all 8 cylinders. The super duty 7.3 is even smoother than the obs (my Dad has an 02 that we used to ride in a lot together) so that thing definitely has some sort of problem and without further discussion of what it's doing no one will be able to tell you if it's worth buying or not. (Sounds like to me the current owner has a bunch of problems with it and instead of fixing it he wants to sell it and let someone else deal with them)
I think the vibration alone turns me away. With 4 kids and travel for work, I can't be bothered with these things anymore.

It could be as simple as a belt tensioner or it could be something wildly expensive.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
How much max can you spend on a truck?
honestly I'm shooting for $5-7k
gets driven 2500 miles a year. Take the kids fishing, maybe pick them up from school, run home depot/costco runs.

if I can't find one in that budget I'm hunting for a clean 01-03 f150 gasser

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
Oh ok, if you stick with diesel you will probably find a better obs for that price range than a super duty
unfortunately the OBS are either beat to hell, or in the $13k + range. I suppose for my limited use, high mileage isn't overly concerning. Just need tk make sure it's mechanically sound.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Denver

Reaction score
2500 miles a year. Get the gasser. OBS's are money pits. Trying to find a clean 7.3 Superduty is a pain. The newest one is now 17 years old. I was looking for a 4wd to replace my 2wd... My 2wd is now a 4wd.

EPA

Reaction score
2500 miles a year. Get the gasser. OBS's are money pits. Trying to find a clean 7.3 Superduty is a pain. The newest one is now 17 years old. I was looking for a 4wd to replace my 2wd... My 2wd is now a 4wd.

You got a point at 2500 miles a year and no heavy towing no need to spend on a diesel... With 7k I would look for a clean 6.0 silverado haha... Ford guys are going to hate me... But the silverados ride really nice and parts are everywhere for them, 6.0 also has some grunt. Also pretty dang reliable.

wildbill963258

Reaction score

I agree with him ( except that obs are money pits because not all of them are) diesels need to be driven if they aren't driven on a regular basis then they start to develop problems when they do get driven especially if they have sat then get drove like 4 or 500 miles all of a sudden.

rman

Reaction score
yeah, looking for some 01-03 f150 supercrews. mileage is high, especially for a gasser, but I'm familiar with the 5.4 2v and they are relatively easy and cheap to maintain. the 4r100 holds up well behind them.

just got an autocheck for the truck I looked at yesterday. not a 1-owner, he's the 4th,and there's theft on it as well

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Denver

Reaction score
I agree with him ( except that obs are money pits because not all of them are) diesels need to be driven if they aren't driven on a regular basis then they start to develop problems when they do get driven especially if they have sat then get drove like 4 or 500 miles all of a sudden.

I owned an OBS. They cost money. 7.3's can sit. We own an 02 with 93K miles. No problems with it. 3 times it's sat so long without being started the batteries had to be replaced to get it started. No issue with fuel either. Lately its been doing 700 mile trips once a month.

Denver

Reaction score
You got a point at 2500 miles a year and no heavy towing no need to spend on a diesel... With 7k I would look for a clean 6.0 silverado haha... Ford guys are going to hate me... But the silverados ride really nice and parts are everywhere for them, 6.0 also has some grunt. Also pretty dang reliable.

I would get the Chevy over the F150.

rman

Reaction score
I'm honestly thinking about a 97 F350 Cclb 4x4 with a 460. I'm a sucker for loud, cheap to maintain, cheap to fix. mpg not too bad considering I drive 2500 miles a year (or less)

I always say I want a BBF after going to monster jam every year lol. Just love the old muscle sound.

This particular one is only an XL, but clean clean clean. Needs NSS and front fuel tank not working. Most of front end, shocks, etc just replaced.
Fresh trans rebuild, new transfer case, 12/12000 warranty.
Rear bench is clean, front bench replaced with 2011 SD leather seats and console.

Only 128k! Asking 7400, KBB values it between 4-7 so I may have some wiggle room.

Few other options. 01-03 F150 with 260k and new engine/trans
Another 01 F150 with 93k but green lol
1996 CCLB with 250k on the 7.3 but poor interior

I guess it boils down to which one I like the most.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Last edited:

rman

Reaction score
I would get the Chevy over the F150.
I started looking at a few last night. I am more comfortable with the F150 platform due to familiarity. I've never disliked a chevy that I've rented, just always found them to be very plain. Maybe it's the soft ride.

Mopars have always gone electrically crazy in me.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

DieselDC

Reaction score
Purchase a v8 triton gasser. Can’t beat it for the price and reliability. Easy to maintain and at or under 2500mi a year, it will last quite a long time.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Dodge automatics are terrible even in the gas trucks, if my old neighbor was a member on here he would be able to tell you that he has went through 7 trucks in the past 3 or 4 years because the transmissions would go out on them.

rman

Reaction score
Purchase a v8 triton gasser. Can’t beat it for the price and reliability. Easy to maintain and at or under 2500mi a year, it will last quite a long time.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
finding one with decent mileage and clean interior is getting tough since they're so old

I have 4 kids so crew cab is almost necessary
really prefer 4x4

i have a few leads... albeit overpriced.
if the obs 460 doesn't sell, I'll hopefulness at it tomorrow. only downside is it's an XL, no power locks or windows

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Latest posts

Members online