Good air intake to run with GTP38R?

Jomax

Reaction score
Only reason I'm running the afe 2 in the dually Is because I won it for free... before then, it was running a 6637. My other truck runs a 6637. It's alot nicer not to have to clean and oil a filter..

The AIS has its place, they filter the best hands down. Just installed one in my mom's Excursion, but All she has is a DP tuner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Only reason I'm running the afe 2 in the dually Is because I won it for free... before then, it was running a 6637. My other truck runs a 6637. It's alot nicer not to have to clean and oil a filter..

The AIS has its place, they filter the best hands down. Just installed one in my mom's Excursion, but All she has is a DP tuner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I bought my afe and still swapped back ..kinda im still using the airbox that came wit the afe, afe is not a bad filter just preffer 6637

dimon42

Reaction score
Seeing if I can resurrect an old thread!

dmd (or anybody else): Did you have any issues installing the S&B intake? I just did a Garrett GTP38R and have the Ford AIS kit and wanted to explore freer flowing options. I bought the S&B dry cold air intake kit, but the “snout” that goes from the filter box to the turbo inlet boot interferes with the CAC pipe which kicks the snout on enough of an angle that I can’t get the filter on inside the box. I even went so far as to loosen both boots to try rotating the CAC either way, tried shifting it toward the spider (until the ends of each are basically touching) and then shifting it towards the intercooler, but nothing would do it. It’s a stock CAC with DieselSite boots. I abandoned the S&B at the time and went back to the Ford AIS because we were leaving for a trip! I don’t know when I’ll have a chance to try again, so I wanted to see if I could get anybody else’s input before I crack back into it.

I’m also considering doing the RiffRaff 6637 kit; however, I’m not a huge fan of unnecessary noise and I’d prefer to have the protection of a box even though it sounds like the filter is water resistant.

Enoch: Are you happy with the RiffRaff 6637 kit? How is the noise level?

I did notice some additional liveliness with the GTP38R, but I’m sure it’s being overly restricted at the moment so I’m curious how much better it will do with a less restrictive intake. I tow heavy (~20,000 lbs) and on grades that I’ve done several times, it just felt like the truck wasn’t having to work so hard to get it done. Like I was asking less of her, if that makes sense… Currently making 25psi or so but I need to back off my wastegate to see if I’m limiting it unnecessarily since it sounds like these are good for 40psi which my truck won’t even make with stock injectors!

Thanks for any input!
- Danny

dmd

Reaction score
I remember the first time I installed it that it was tight. I really like it thought. i did
put some foam on the side that goes to the fender well to dampen the sound some. I was
hoping for it to be more quiet than then 6637 which is way too noisy for me with the
38R. With the foam padding it is much more quiet but also leaves some open for air
flow additional to the air nozzle up front. Figured if it was restrictive it would suck the
foam in and that hasn't happened. I think it is a really good setup now.

dimon42

Reaction score
I remember the first time I installed it that it was tight. I really like it thought. i did
put some foam on the side that goes to the fender well to dampen the sound some. I was
hoping for it to be more quiet than then 6637 which is way too noisy for me with the
38R. With the foam padding it is much more quiet but also leaves some open for air
flow additional to the air nozzle up front. Figured if it was restrictive it would suck the
foam in and that hasn't happened. I think it is a really good setup now.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find some time to try it again. I can't imagine what can change to magically make it fit, but we'll see. It's been a while since I bought the S&B and tried to install it the first time, but I just haven't had time to play with it again. Sucks having what might end up being a $300 paper weight!

I am considering getting the RiffRaff 6637 kit to have on hand to also try out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have to find some time to try it again. I can't imagine what can change to magically make it fit, but we'll see. It's been a while since I bought the S&B and tried to install it the first time, but I just haven't had time to play with it again. Sucks having what might end up being a $300 paper weight!

I am considering getting the RiffRaff 6637 kit to have on hand to also try out.
I run the donaldson version of the napa 2790 in everything i own. Its bigger than the 6637.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online