Talked into a CB Radio.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So im the only one at work and in my group of friends without a CB and after a few months of everyone giving me a hard time and justifying their excuses someone finally gave me a good excuse so i guess its time to get one. What would be a good radio /antenna combo to go with and if anyone has a nice working one their willing to part with i will happily make arrangements to take it off your hands. Thanks

:lame2::pointlaugh:

oneton

Reaction score
the newer cobra's i hear are good and bad(like everything else).
depends on how much money you want to spend and what features you are looking for or wanting radio wise.

a good magnetic mount ant is a wilson 1000.good perm mount wilson is a trucker 2000.

a 102 in steel whip works great also

jwlandry

Reaction score
Look into a general lee. From what I've read they are bad ass out the box and very well built. One of them will be my next radio.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I have an old cobra classic I had a shop go through, with a older palomar 600 kicker.

Cobra radio's are the most common, and probably the best bang for the buck.

I would strongly recommend avoiding any type of plastic antenna. Magnetic antenna's fall into the best bang for the buck category, and when tuning a radio to talk cleanly they're usually very good.

I use an antenna similar to this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-5000-Tru...307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b38c9033, and at 10 miles I'll sound like I'm sitting next to you.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
galaxy d949 with wilson 5000 mag mount here. It's been a good setup for me for a while now. Radio gets out pretty good, even when barefoot. Also just picked up a connex cx4300hp to mess with when I get around to picking up an 8' whip in a week or so. I think you'll enjoy the heck out of these things once you get yourself a decent setup, especially if you already have friends that have radios.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So i bought a cb set up from some guy off craigslist last night. Its a older cobra 29 ltd wx with the mic connector on the side. $50 and it came with a wilson antenna, a powered mic, external speaker with talkback and a pa speaker. He had reciepts for work that was done and he put alot if money into it. Called the shop and gave them the number on the cb and they confirmed everything that was done and he had it set up when i got there and it worked great. It now puts out 75 watts ish according to the shop had has a few other features added. After asking around on a cb forum the shop in fontana ca that did the work is well know and respected so it put my mind to ease about buying a piece of scrap.

Now i just gotta get it put in.

SoCalPsd-Corey

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So where can i buy the smoke in a can to put back into the box? :doh:

Where do you guys have your antennas mounted?

SoCalPsd-Corey

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So where can i buy the smoke in a can to put back into the box? :doh:

Where do you guys have your antennas mounted?

SoCalPsd-Corey

magnet mount on the roof about 18" from the third brake light in the center. Soon to be moved to tool box mount.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Magnet mount on the roof just might talk cleaner than a toolbox mount.

Don't under-rate 'em.

neverkickn

Reaction score
So what was that final reason that made you decide to get one?

What do you guys use your radios for mainly?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If you're askin the thread in general, a CB and basic driver dialect kicks the pants off any radar detector out there.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Mainly for a open line of communication to the equipement at work because all the tractors have one and to talk to the guys one the way to the sites after leaving the shop in the mornings. And the friends we go to the dunes with all have them in their vehicles and Its a pita to call 13 people when you wanna get off the highway for a stop or to empty tanks at a station. Just a convience i guess.

SoCalPsd-Corey

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of antenna this is

d03627b4-4ea8-9f5b.jpg

SoCalPsd-Corey

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Magnet mount on the roof just might talk cleaner than a toolbox mount.

Don't under-rate 'em.

Definitely, the way it sits in the center of the vehicle and at the highest point makes it the best choice as long as you're not gonna be driving through a lot of trees. I've had mine knocked off before. At any rate, that galaxy with some decent shoes on gets out real nice. I was at the beach not too long ago (corpus christi) catching skip to florida.

So what was that final reason that made you decide to get one?

What do you guys use your radios for mainly?

For me its a combination of hobby and utility. Sometimes the simpler technologies out there are far superior for certain uses.

If you're askin the thread in general, a CB and basic driver dialect kicks the pants off any radar detector out there.

Absolutely.

Latest posts

Members online