10.5 brakes on the 10.25 sterling

m j

Reaction score
I am in the midst of this conversion.
using info from the http://fordmann.com/F250.Dana_70U.htm site
I have brakes from both the fullfloat d60 e350 and the 10.5
the fordmann site states to use a spring from a hardware store. the spring from the e350 clears everything, I still have research to do as too whether the e350 small parts kit will provide all the pieces you need and can be used in lieu of the 10.5 small parts kit.
it may be that the e350 parts are better to use for this swap.
+ the pads are already clearanced
+ the springs are well out of the way of the sterling hub
- the upper pivot differs a fair bit from the 10.5 parts so pads do not swap
- I have to remeasure the ceterhole on the e350 bracket to see if it will fit over the 10.25 housing tube.

I used 1/4 plate for the flange. pretty close to the 10.25 flange oem thickness, and easier to work with for experimenting
3/8 or thicker would be better and I may redo it in the future. I would get them plasma'd

10.5 parts on the 10.25 unmolested showing how close things get. hub cannot go on.

changed to e350 upper spring

ref pic of e350 parts

upper pivot differences

pad differences

pad differences

more to come...

m j

Reaction score
shoes modified, e350 spring, ready to install

I will check better once I clean up the DS tube but it looks like e 350 stuff is the better starting point

m j

Reaction score
ew metric bolt pattern FTL

if anything a disc brake dana 80 is FTW anything else is full of issues :)

Reaction score
10.5 SD with OBS hub pattern

I have some details on the ultimate rear disc conversion. It has been done sucessfully more than once, I know how but don't have the specifics. Install a complete SD 10.5, but the hubs are redrilled to OBS non metric wheel pattern. Everthing is stock SD except the wheel studs and the machine work on the hubs. The axle assy is slightly wider than the OBS so it actually matches the front axle. I believe this is the best setup because if you use a SD front axle you have unit bearings which is one reason I dont own a SD!

bad12jr

Reaction score
That's easily solved with a conversion. And its easier to set up the hub bearings on the conversion kits. You can do it on the bench instead of in the air.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

m j

Reaction score
the 99-04 front axle is a downgrade from the 97 BJ d60 IMO
an 10.5 with 8x6.5 would still need the e350 rotors.

an 05+ super 60 would be cool other then the goofy radius arm casting.

anyone have a compelling reason to use a 10.5? it doesnt appear to be an upgrade to me. I paid $50 for the 10.5 I robbed the brackets from :)
I didnt see anything on it worth keeping so plan to scrap it.

it would cost more in machine work then what i have into moving the brakes on to my 10.25 to have custom machined hubs to retain the good wheel bolt pattern.
no way would I run adapters, and they would exasperate the width issue.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Why would you think the 10.5 or the SD D60 is a downgrade? You can have 4 wheel disc brakes AND a dana 60 front for the price most of you guys are paying for just a BJ obs D60. Then you can also have a set of axles that aren't offset too :fustrate:

And LMAO at the unit bearings. *** a bunch of packing wheel bearings. Ill put a unit bearing in every 100K miles in 15 minutes vs knoocking races out, replacing spindles, and blah blah. JMO.

m j

Reaction score
you havent come up with anything to sell me on a 10.5.

if I found a good deal on a disc brake dana 80 I would grab it, but 10.5 looks like a waste of time.

the 99-04 front d50/60 had a lot of failures.
I saw way to many on the side of the road with a wheel no longer attached. which is probably why the 05+ stuff is so beefy
how often do you think spindles get replaced? way beyond 100000miles for most
$200 a side for unit bearings, what a deal.

JD3020

Reaction score
Subbed for results. May convert to rear discs this summer, tired of drums.

Although if i get lucky, i'll just go to a D80 or AAM and call it a day. Factory locker from my dad's D-max would be soo nice...

co04cobra

Reaction score
you havent come up with anything to sell me on a 10.5.

if I found a good deal on a disc brake dana 80 I would grab it, but 10.5 looks like a waste of time.

the 99-04 front d50/60 had a lot of failures.
I saw way to many on the side of the road with a wheel no longer attached. which is probably why the 05+ stuff is so beefy
how often do you think spindles get replaced? way beyond 100000miles for most
$200 a side for unit bearings, what a deal.

The SD D60 is pretty well identical to the obs D60. If somebody isn't smart enough to replace the unit bearing before letting it get so bad that the wheel comes off we are dealing with a whole other bag of issues.

10.5 and the 10.25 is the same case. They are pratically identical. EXCEPT you already get the 4 wheel disc brakes, have a even track front to back, and the metric bolt pattern. Much easier, more simple, and cost effective way to do 4 wheel disc brakes AND you improve ride quaility by doing the SD 60 a RSK and SD springs. $200 on a unit bearing every few years I can handle.

There is nothing about putting SD axles in a obs that isn't an upgrade. Not trying to start an arguement. I've did the SD axles, and also replaced many spindles, races, and wheel bearings. No comparision. IMO.

m j

Reaction score
the sd 60 is not identical, it has junk unit bearings. that is a huge difference.
when I saw the failures the trucks were pretty new. no way should they have been worn out. the front ends are reknown for failure.
that is the reason the sd 50/60 axles are near worthless compared to a kingpin or BJ60.

what is the advantage of an even track front to back? is there one?

metric bolt pattern is in the con list

I am putting coils in the front of my truck, I think it is foolish to try and get ride quality with leaves.

how is having custom machined hubs simpler on an axle you admit is not superior? I have the 10.5 and see no point in changing to it when all i had to do was make and replace 2 mounting flanges. I spent more time sandblasting the 10.5 parts then making and mounting the flanges.
specialty tools included a hole saw and drill press and mig welder, no machinist required

$200 a side = $400 spendy maintainance if you ask me.

co04cobra

Reaction score
One advantage to a even track is so it doesn't look so damn dumb from behind. Second is your front wheels clearing a path for your back instead of the rear having to create half of another new track.

BIG ? here. How many trucks have you personally owned, worked on, had fail, or had to replace a SD unit bearing on?? Or are you basing your unit bearing opinion on seeing random ass trucks broke down or horror stories through the "grapevine".

King pin D60 LOL. Might as well convert it back to IDI injection while your're at it. Then putting coils in place of leaf sprins?? When you could much easier put SD leaf packs and RSK and still have a nice ride with a much more solid front.

Metric or obs lug really makes no difference you can get any wheel you want in either patteren. I have a lot of SD wheels, so metric patteren was a big + for me.

Last big + here. What happens when you break a part on your custom made setup 500 miles from home? Using a main stream part you can go anywhere and order the part you need for the SD axle.

Once again unit bearings every 100K miles = non issue.

m j

Reaction score
so you have no clue why the rear track is narrower then the front.

I have never owned a 99-04 SD unit bearing axle, I wouldnt want one if it was free.

I do not under stand why you need to swap the axle out to change springs...seems odd.

"much more solid front" LoL ok yeah. if solid means rides like leaf springs no thanks, I already have that issue. unit bearings are not as solid as old skool spindles.

other then making their wheels not swap what is the advantage of the metric pattern? just change for the sake of change?

what part do you forsee being difficult to find?
my "custom made setup" is all mainstream parts other then the parking brake shoes have 5 minutes of grinding, I think i can survive with out parking brake shoes and if I cant a grinder is pretty easy to find.
park brake shoes are from the 10.5, the hardware kit is from the 97ish e350 to get the better springs.

the only reason I have the e350 stuff here is that is the axle under the rear of my YJ

spindle in my bj60 look good, 320000km is about 200000miles. I have 1978 d60, and an 80s kp60 in my YJ here too with original spindles.

I wouldnt even know how to tell if a unit bearing was wearing out, a wheel bearing and race is pretty easy to visual check, how do you do that on a unit bearing?

Last edited:

Got4wd

Reaction score
Curious to see it all done. I came up with the 10.5 hub conversion. Reason I went my way was I hated the narrow track rear axle and huge hubs that stick out a mile. Wanted disc brakes and this seemed like the best way to go about it. Props to you for doing it different. We all can't have the same ideas right.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
just need parking brake cables to finish it.
drove it to work today.
what do you want to see?

only thing I added to what others have done is the e350 springs rather then some mystery hardware item

I cant give much of a before/after comparison as the PO failed on the seal install when he put all new brakes in it so the passenger side was destroyed by oil contamination.
obviously feels much nicer today then before the weekend :)

dieseltron

Reaction score
so the axle shafts in a sd "dana 60" are just as strong as my KP dana 60?

129_0106_06z+2000_ford_f350_super_duty+axle_shaft.jpg

that makes sense to me. :badidea:

I do agree a sd swap is easy but then you get this.

co04cobra

Reaction score
so the axle shafts in a sd "dana 60" are just as strong as my KP dana 60?

129_0106_06z+2000_ford_f350_super_duty+axle_shaft.jpg

that makes sense to me. :badidea:

I do agree a sd swap is easy but then you get this.

That is not a SD dana 60 axle.

That is a 99-01 dana 50

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.