Time to do injectors

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Oh btw! I’ve ordered 238/80’s from unlimited and hydra with gh custom tunes. And sending off hoop tomorrow to diesel site.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Gotta question for some of y’all. When I pulled the injectors there was a lot of oil in and covering them. That’s the first time I’ve ever done that and was wondering if that’s normal? Also I fixed a small piece of tubing to my shop vac and was told to suck up the oil off the top of the pistons. Well there is quiet a bit oil ther or I’m sucking oil out of the pan. Am I actually pulling oil out of the engine by doing this?

DieselDC

Reaction score
Gotta question for some of y’all. When I pulled the injectors there was a lot of oil in and covering them. That’s the first time I’ve ever done that and was wondering if that’s normal? Also I fixed a small piece of tubing to my shop vac and was told to suck up the oil off the top of the pistons. Well there is quiet a bit oil ther or I’m sucking oil out of the pan. Am I actually pulling oil out of the engine by doing this?

Normal.

I believe I’ve read this in your thread already about oil on top of piston. You have differing opinions. Pick one and go with it.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

565edge

Reaction score
I rotated motor over to tdc and used a might vac with a small tube pushed down through injector cup. The back 2 cylinders had the most oil. The rest where not to bad.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I rotated motor over to tdc and used a might vac with a small tube pushed down through injector cup. The back 2 cylinders had the most oil. The rest where not to bad.

Yep that’s what I did. Also I got wired the fuel pump and pumped all the fuel out of tank and flushed 5 gals of clean fuel through it.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
My injectors came in yesterday and last night I got them installed. Bolted down and oil deflectors bolted on. Torqued at 10ft/lbs and oil deflectors 9 ft/lbs. I vacuumed out the glow plug holes and turned the engine over 2 times to remove any fuel or oil off the pistons. My hpop should be here today and after that goes on I’ll crank over a few times to remove air. I was planning on a new icp and ipr but crossing my fingers they’ll be ok. Injectors went in as planned and all were even across the top. I’ve been doing a few other things while waiting on parts. I’m installing another the amp for the stereo and built a board for mounting everything behind the back seat. I’ll post some pics later on. Also I’m building a console for the front floorboard for room for iPad mount,switches and air compressor controls.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I’ve got the adrenaline hpop in and and while I’ve been at it tore out some interior and been retiring stereo,built a front console in the floorboard. All I like now is installing glow plugs and tightening everything down. Hopefully this evening I’ll get to fire it up and purge the oil lines. Don’t have my hydra chip in yet hopefully it will be here by Friday.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok guys, I finished installing my injectors and adrenaline hpop yesterday afternoon late. I went ahead and installed my hydra chip before trying to start my truck. I figured that since it came from GH all I would need to do is install the chip and that’s it. Do I still need to download the software and run this with a laptop through the chip? Everything seems to be ok. The wait to start light operates like normal,no service engine soon light on. Just cranks but no start. I haven’t tried anything yet I just want to eliminate the possibility that the chip is culprit due to my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

DieselDC

Reaction score
Your truck will start without the chip no problem. Just don’t try to drive with it...

With that said... you need to connect the chip to your laptop and transfer the tunes over. Then install the chip onto the pcm (batteries unplugged).

Prior to cranking - did you pour oil into the hpop? That will allow you to start the truck faster. Make sure batteries are fully charged. Crank 20sec intervals, minute rest, crank again till it starts.

—————signature—————

79jasper

Reaction score
If you have the extension cable, there's no reason to remove the chip for loading tunes. And it depends, if you told them about your mods (if injectors) they could have loaded tunes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Your truck will start without the chip no problem. Just don’t try to drive with it...

With that said... you need to connect the chip to your laptop and transfer the tunes over. Then install the chip onto the pcm (batteries unplugged).

Prior to cranking - did you pour oil into the hpop? That will allow you to start the truck faster. Make sure batteries are fully charged. Crank 20sec intervals, minute rest, crank again till it starts.

—————signature—————
Yep poured oil in the reservoir and thanks for the tip on cranking. I had forgot about that.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
If you have the extension cable, there's no reason to remove the chip for loading tunes. And it depends, if you told them about your mods (if injectors) they could have loaded tunes.

I just downloaded it on my laptop and yes they had already loaded it. I’m new to this stuff really. I had a ts 6 pos chip once but it was preloaded. At least now I know how to receive tunes and download them on my chip. I really need to get a obd2 connector and diagnostics app. The only thing that might stop it cranking would be ipr valve. I was going to replace that and the cps but $ got tight. I did take it apart and clean it. Just hope that didn’t mess it up. By cleaning I went over it with some 2000 grit sandpaper.

DieselDC

Reaction score
I just downloaded it on my laptop and yes they had already loaded it. I’m new to this stuff really. I had a ts 6 pos chip once but it was preloaded. At least now I know how to receive tunes and download them on my chip. I really need to get a obd2 connector and diagnostics app. The only thing that might stop it cranking would be ipr valve. I was going to replace that and the cps but $ got tight. I did take it apart and clean it. Just hope that didn’t mess it up. By cleaning I went over it with some 2000 grit sandpaper.

That might have been a bad idea with the 2000grit. Could have got into ipr and sand, oil, injectors might not be a good mix. I think you’ll be alright.

If the ipr, cps wasn’t problematic prior, you should have no other problems starting up the beast.

—————signature—————

Arisley

Reaction score
That might have been a bad idea with the 2000grit. Could have got into ipr and sand, oil, injectors might not be a good mix. I think you’ll be alright.

If the ipr, cps wasn’t problematic prior, you should have no other problems starting up the beast.

—————signature—————

You should only use solvents, nothing with grit, for the exact reason the DieselDC said. However, if you washed it out good, you should be alright.

Do you really mean cranking? Or did you mean starting?

I am betting on starting.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Lol @79jasper at it again making sure you dot your T and cross your I

—————signature—————

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. But yea starting is what I meant,lol. I cranked (turned it over) 30 seconds at a time at least a dozen times or more. Pulled icp but nota. Pulled the plug on the drivers side oil rail and had a friend crank it over for 15-20 seconds and just a lil oil coming out. Both rails are full and reservoir. Wouldn’t ya say ipr is bad?

565edge

Reaction score
It took me several attempts to start mine. I started to think I messed something up. I'd charge batteries over night and try the next day. After 3 days of doing this I put jumper cables on it from another truck and it cranked faster and finally started .

DieselDC

Reaction score
Your truck started b4 all this so it’s nothing to do with ipr, icp etc - or so im lead to believe...

Okay just for chits... plug in your reader and let’s see what you got for ipr and icp. Icp at 100 and bouncing, ipr under 50. If icp is not at least 100, your pump may be installed incorrectly

Then unplug the icp. I wanna say I would like to see icp 2000+, ipr under 50

For chits walk me through you hpop install. Was the gear on the pump when you screwed on that bolt? 18mm IIRC... crank pulley jammed to torque the hpop to 98 ft/lbs?

—————signature—————

79jasper

Reaction score
Pulled the plug on the drivers side oil rail and had a friend crank it over for 15-20 seconds and just a lil oil coming out.

I've seen the same exact thing.
Turns out the gear wasn't actually seated on the hpop shaft.

Latest posts

Members online