Midwest twins on stock bottom end?

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Okay before you say regear. I have these 37" Toyo on stock rims. Truck smokes and lags at low rpm, then when it lights it takes off. For the benefit of driveability and towing without smoking out the entire light. I leave it turned way down. I know the fueling down low will hurt the rods. But I want the lugging and torque of a diesel down low while still being able to run 90 mph down I-75 without truck screaming. I don't think adding a dual fueler will help, and I don't want a bottom end rebuild just yet. Only got 40k miles on it. Do you guys think one of the smaller ball bearing twin set up would be beneficial without adding extra fuel? Don't want to hurt the trans or bottom end. Rather build in stages when I'm ready

sootie

Reaction score
Get your tunes refined or choose a different tuner that sits your style better. Nothing wrong with running compounds on a stock bottom end.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
i can still run 90 down the freeway on 37''s without screaming too bad, re-geared to 4.30's

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Switched tunes recently. Sotf from gear now. Had the pip before. It's like too much fuel or not enough between 1000-1350 rpm in any tunes other than real mild it smokes until the turbo lights. Why I was thinking more air. I usually leave tow/haul on. It seems to help a bunch. Was just wondering if the twin would help at all down low I guess. Be about same price as regearing both axles and lockers. Guys around here want too much to install gears.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Switched tunes recently. Sotf from gear now. Had the pip before. It's like too much fuel or not enough between 1000-1350 rpm in any tunes other than real mild it smokes until the turbo lights. Why I was thinking more air. I usually leave tow/haul on. It seems to help a bunch. Was just wondering if the twin would help at all down low I guess. Be about same price as regearing both axles and lockers. Guys around here want too much to install gears.
Your high pressure turbo is still key from idle till the low pressure charger takes over.

live life full throttle

andrewtac

Reaction score
I was going to do it (hopefully still will, bought a new house so the spare funds aren’t); anyways when researching the lag would not be any better, might even be a little more. I was looking at the cheaper turbos, maybe the high dollar ones would help as they supposedly spool really quickly.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to do it (hopefully still will, bought a new house so the spare funds aren’t); anyways when researching the lag would not be any better, might even be a little more. I was looking at the cheaper turbos, maybe the high dollar ones would help as they supposedly spool really quickly.

mine with a precision spools faster than a setup with a borg warner, probably 100 rpm better. i will get a video of it normal driving .

story5253

Reaction score
How much are you towing? What gears are in your truck now. I run 37” tires on my 2011 with 3.55 and H&M’s canned tunes towing my 20’ car hauler with three four wheelers I don’t feel the need for shorter gears. But when pulling my fifth wheel it makes me contemplate it. Because i feel the truck lags coming off the line or bogs down. But it also seems to hint for gears at times mainly when driving 55-65. Anything above it seems to be in the right power band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I'm talking unloaded. Do 99% of driving unloaded. I'm always lugging with these 37" tires. I feel like I was under geared with 35" tires. Got the 3.55 gears. I know my fuel economy is better at 90 mph with these gears. But I feel like I'm losing so much lugging under the powerband that gears would actually help driveability and mpg. I don't want to be screaming rpms either. Just don't think it's efficient to be smoking when it down shifts to correct gear. Why I was thinking more air from a twin might actually clean it up and get it moving instead of regearing

Last edited:

doo dah

Reaction score
I would recommend gearing. Less $$ than adding a turbo. Also as you add more power you are stressing other parts that will eventually break and cost more $$. I had 37s for a while and had same set up as you; could never get it quite how I wanted. Took off the lift and back to stock so I can tow my fiver and truck runs much different than before.