7.3 OBS Build Advice - 400 HP Goal

PVXCummins

Reaction score
My roommate bought a '96 F250 4x4 June of 2013. Him and I replaced all rear hangers, shackles, both fuel tanks, and shocks and POR15'ed the frame within a month of buying it. He parked it September of 2015 with a leaking fuel system, power steering pump, rotten rad support, cracked rad, rotten oil pan and slipping E40D transmission. Truck has 275,000 miles on it.

Fast forward to June of this year and we finally pulled the engine, trans and transfer case out of the truck. He has a brand new built trans and triple disc convertor ready to go in. Original plan was to replace the oil pan, re-gasket a few things, install a Driven Diesel Electric Fuel System, replace the rad support and put it back together. That plan has since changed (as most builds usually go) and now we are doing a full rebuild on the engine with plans to make 400-450 HP. He's new to this game but is willing to spend the money on the right parts to make this happen. Ive built the engine in my 12V puller, rebuilt the engine in my 6.0 tow rig, but 7.3 performance is a whole new animal for me. Please school me on injector size, HPOP's, and turbos for a set up capable of 400-450 HP. Truck will never see a pulling track and maybe will see a drag strip few times a year. Want a fun, reliable street truck

Heres a list of parts/plans i have compiled for him so far:

Heads:
-Surface head, check valves and seats, o-ring (local machine shop)
-ARP Head Studs to hold it all together
-Valve Springs and push rods (unsure of what is needed here)
-Stock head gaskets

Block
-Mahle complete gasket set, new crank bears, rod bearings, cleaning pistons up to re-use and going to put new rings on them
-Re-using stock cam (unless a mild upgrade would be needed)
-Replace roller lifters
-Block is going to the machine shop to get cleaned and honed, him and I will assembly entire rotating assembly

Air / Fuel
-New up-pipes
-Exhaust is 2 years old, MBRP unit (3" down pipe)
-Whats a good Cold Air Intake to get??
-Turbo, was thinking the BD Power Turbo Thruster II
-Driven Diesel Complete OBS Electric Fuel System
-High Pressure Oil Cross Over Tube from Diesel Power Products
-Adrenaline HPOP
-Hybrid injectors (what size???)
-Tony Wildman custom tunes

I'm really unsure of injector/turbo/HPOP combos. What i understand, with Hybrid injectors you don't 'really' need an upgraded HPOP. But not sure what injector size or brand would be best.

Appreciate any help you folks can give.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Since it is OBS, I would go T4 route for the turbo. This will come with intercooler piping, up pipes, boots/clamps, downpipe, pedestal, etc. If only going for 450, maybe some 200/80 injectors and S364.5 sxe turbo with an Adrenaline hpop. I believe this is the setup (or close to it) that The Brad runs. Maybe he will chime in.

superpsd

Reaction score
I would do a health check on the engine before I wasted money on a rebuild. You dont need a built motor for the power he wants to make. If the health looked good he could reseal and do the injectors and hpop, studs, springs etc while the engine is out.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Your going to o ring the heads?

De-lip the bowls, you can send the cam off and have it improved. Weld the cam to the cam gear. Weld the oil spouts comp 910 valve sprigs and smith bros push rods.

PVXCummins

Reaction score
Since it is OBS, I would go T4 route for the turbo. This will come with intercooler piping, up pipes, boots/clamps, downpipe, pedestal, etc. If only going for 450, maybe some 200/80 injectors and S364.5 sxe turbo with an Adrenaline hpop. I believe this is the setup (or close to it) that The Brad runs. Maybe he will chime in.

Thanks! Been thinking an intercooler would be a good upgrade as well. Ill look into that turbo/injector combo

I would do a health check on the engine before I wasted money on a rebuild. You dont need a built motor for the power he wants to make. If the health looked good he could reseal and do the injectors and hpop, studs, springs etc while the engine is out.

Little late for that, engine is tore down to the block with the rotating assembly out of it. Hes the 6th owner of the truck and we don't know the history other than it was a plow truck at some time in it's life. For peace of mind we both decided a refresh of the engine wouldn't hurt.

Your going to o ring the heads?

De-lip the bowls, you can send the cam off and have it improved. Weld the cam to the cam gear. Weld the oil spouts comp 910 valve sprigs and smith bros push rods.

Yea, o-ringing the heads. Is there a thread about de-lipping the bowls and where can he send the cam off too? Weld the oil spouts, I am unfamiliar with that. Any more info?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I sent my cam to diesel innovations. Riff Raff diesel sells welded oil spouts.
May want to send the pistons off to get delipped. Maybe balance them, or coat them as well.

Petro

Reaction score
For a measly 400 hp, I wouldn't waste my time worrying about the cam or delipping the pistons. Hell, you wouldn't even have to stud it at that power level . . . But it never hurts. Get her put back together, throw some small hybrids in there with a KC drop in turbo, electric fuel setup, maybe some pushrods and springs, and some good tunes. It'll easily surpass 400 and be a fun reliable setup. I've put together a ton of mild 500 hp 7.3 setups for customers, most of those customers are towing heavy all the time with those setups. They are very reliable and problem free with good tuning. A cam and pistons is over kill.

Last edited:

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
For 400 hp I wouldn’t worry about delipping the pistons or coating them. In my opinion that is for high hp applications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If your gonna have the engine apart, and get the “more power” addiction now is the time to do “some” modifications, but pick your poison

gwunter

Reaction score
I don't see a need to o-ring the heads either for this build. O-ring with studs seems way over kill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

psmike

Reaction score
over 500 here never DE lipped or coated.. just studs.. an no oringing of heads

Last edited:

PVXCummins

Reaction score
I don't see a need to o-ring the heads either for this build. O-ring with studs seems way over kill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

over 500 here never DE lipped or coated.. just studs.. an no oringing of heads

Why no need for o-ringing? With an bigger than stock turbo and more fueling i would think o-rings were in the cards. I've never heard of 7.3's popping head gaskets like the 6.0s do, i just figured while the heads are off, better to o-ring for worst case.

Arisley

Reaction score
I would not o-ring a daily driver at all. Heard of way more issues than not.

It's not just overkill, it is a complete waste of money to boot.

For your goals, I would e-fuel it. Put superduty parts on the top, head studs, a set of small good hybrids, an adrenaline HPOP, take the money you save from O-rings and get a good T4 setup, and for sure intercooled. Throw a 6637 air filter on it and a decent trans behind it and carry on.

Of course, if you are building the bottom end, I would balance the rod/piston assemblies, that's nothing but a little time.

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
You can lose the oil crossover line from the build if you're buying a T500 / Adrenaline / Whatever-The-Cool-New-HPOP-Is-These-Days.

It's no longer necessary with an aftermarket higher displacement oil pump. Not much, but should save some $$$ towards another item on the list if needed.

The Brad

Reaction score

I’m holding 3000+ icp without going over 40% IPR duty cycle with a stock 17* pump, but an OBS pump will be another story. I’m still gambling with stock head bolts and over 40psi boost, but I don’t romp on it much. The 364.5 is an excellent choice if your towing, but a 366 will still tow well if you want more HP on top. I’ve seen guys do well towing with a 369.

superpsd

Reaction score
Why no need for o-ringing? With an bigger than stock turbo and more fueling i would think o-rings were in the cards. I've never heard of 7.3's popping head gaskets like the 6.0s do, i just figured while the heads are off, better to o-ring for worst case.

If the heads are still on I would stop right there. Better to have seasoned gaskets. Just stud away as long as motor checks out.

Latest posts