Remove bottom fat spring with 4400 5.4's ?

What to do...

• Option 1 4800 5.4s

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Option 2 4400 5.4s

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
I want to lower/level my F250 09 Super Cab Short bed 4x4

Option 1. 4800 5.4 front coils and remove 250 block.

Option 2 4400 5.4 front coils, trim bump stops and remove 250 black and fat bottom leaf?

My question is will option two really ride much better with the 4400 springs and the removing the fat leaf? Or will that not make any difference. I hear removing the top overload makes a difference but i dont have that.

Also if i get 20x10 BMF's what size 420's would be best.

And will my drive shaft be ok, i hear some people say they have to shorten it.

Thanks,

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
From my understanding the stock shocks are fine. The spring you choose is up to you anf how you want your truck to set. Every one says the ride is as close to Cadillac as you can get next to full air ride.

BFT

Reaction score
Notnthe same since inwas lifted... I removed mine and showed no difference that I could tell on the ride andade a slight difference on height.

punkrockford

Reaction score
Trust me on this, spend the money and buy a correct lowering kit for the truck. I spent many years in the lowered truck scene and we always saw problems when people start removing springs and cutting coils and such. if you put gas springs up front ,yes it will lower the truck but its going to ride like **** cause when ever you go over bumps the front is going to move more cause of the weight coming down on the front end.

http://djmsuspension.com/products/djm3018-35/

ran a DJM kit on my 1999 ranger and it was great. if i was going to lower my truck this is the way i would go.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Trust me on this, spend the money and buy a correct lowering kit for the truck. I spent many years in the lowered truck scene and we always saw problems when people start removing springs and cutting coils and such. if you put gas springs up front ,yes it will lower the truck but its going to ride like **** cause when ever you go over bumps the front is going to move more cause of the weight coming down on the front end.

ran a DJM kit on my 1999 ranger and it was great. if i was going to lower my truck this is the way i would go.

I found no issues at all running 4400lb 5.4 coils. Best ride ever for me. If I had trimmed my bumpstops, it would have been even better. I would never remove leaf springs though.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Theres a few guys that would disagree with the JDM kit. Apparently it doesnt like the torque.

Sent from the cabin of my Boeing 6.4

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
I say 4800 and no block.

Thats what i am thinking right now. How much more would the 4400 vs the 4800 in inches lower the front? 1" 1/2? 1/4?

Notnthe same since inwas lifted... I removed mine and showed no difference that I could tell on the ride andade a slight difference on height.

You are taking about the fat short bottom leaf right.. I dont really see how it would make it any smoother so sounds about right.

Nice to see they are making kits

I found no issues at all running 4400lb 5.4 coils. Best ride ever for me. If I had trimmed my bumpstops, it would have been even better. I would never remove leaf springs though.

with 4400 and leave the fat bottom leaf how much lower was the front. I plan to take some measurements with whatever way i go and let everyone know. Trying to find out that 44 will drop lets say 3 and 48 will drop 2.5 or whatever.

Yes. Its to reduce axle wrap or axle rotation. I would not remove it without traction bars of some sort.

Makes since thanks

Theres a few guys that would disagree with the JDM kit. Apparently it doesn't like the torque.

Looks like a nice kit but i would rather just change out to the 4800's than replacing alot of parts

Sent from the cabin of my Boeing 6.4

I have seen a bunch of pics but does anyone have a pic of 4800 front and no black back with no overload top but still has the fat bottom?

Guessing i will need new u bolts also correct? And will stock wheels and tires still fit with the 4800 and no rear block?

Cody6405

Reaction score

That Kit is for a 2wd, op has a 4X4 so the kit would be of no use. I have the djm kit on my truck and it rides like a lowered truck, but it looks cool so i dont mind:D

To the original poster i have seen some people have the rear springs dearched so that may be one thing to look at if you need the rear lowered and dont want to start pulling springs.

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
That Kit is for a 2wd, op has a 4X4 so the kit would be of no use. I have the djm kit on my truck and it rides like a lowered truck, but it looks cool so i dont mind:D

To the original poster i have seen some people have the rear springs dearched so that may be one thing to look at if you need the rear lowered and dont want to start pulling springs.

Truck looks good, thanks for the info.

I see alot of people talking about this, feel like its the new how do i get my truck to blow black smoke or whats the best tune haha

punkrockford

Reaction score

i always ran air bags instead of springs. rode like a dream.the kit i had on my ranger rode just the same as stock until i put bags on it

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
What do you guys think? anyone else?

What do you guys think about the 420's ?

madman1234509

Reaction score
I bought mine off of a an ebay link someone had posted a while back on a lowering truck thread. Made an offer for like 100 or 120 shipped and they accepted it. Search "lowering" and in one of the more popular threads there is an ebay link. They are 4800 coils, some thought there werent at first, but they are.

Sold my truck going to pick up a 10 HD edition next week, the spring will be going on that with black 20x10 or 20x12 wheels and 33" baja atzs

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
Thanks I will look for that... how much did it lower your truck? Was it level? Did it really make any ride difference? I k ow how people act like things they do make a world of difference but not always the case. Prob order as soon as I hear from you and will let everyone know how much is lowers and if it really makes for a better ride.

OUTLAW_6.4

Reaction score
I bought mine off of a an ebay link someone had posted a while back on a lowering truck thread. Made an offer for like 100 or 120 shipped and they accepted it. Search "lowering" and in one of the more popular threads there is an ebay link. They are 4800 coils, some thought there werent at first, but they are.

Sold my truck going to pick up a 10 HD edition next week, the spring will be going on that with black 20x10 or 20x12 wheels and 33" baja atzs
Thanks I will look for that... how much did it lower your truck? Was it level? Did it really make any ride difference? I k ow how people act like things they do make a world of difference but not always the case. Prob order as soon as I hear from you and will let everyone know how much is lowers and if it really makes for a better ride.

Latest posts

Members online