Cyl Contribution Test & Injector Placement

sniper_101

Reaction score
00' 7.3, with 160cc single shots I put in like 7\8 years ago, I believe from Full Force.

I've never had my Forscan on the truck because I've never had to. Tried it out the other day for ****s and giggles, and ran a contribution test on it. It "failed" 3 & 8...

This got me thinking, when I put the injectors in years ago, I remember one had a different colour top/solenoid body and a year after that reading #8 ran a "unique" or different injector. So two questions: Whats the reason for the one odd-ball injector? Any issues caused by running it in a different hole?

I'm wondering if I have 3 & 8 back asswards causing this contribution fault. Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No you probably do not. 7.3s and contribution tests are really useless. I've never ever been able to successfully diagnose using that. Almost every single cc test I've done has thrown 3 & 8 code.

Chances are nothing is wrong, it's just old loose technology.

It cracks me up when people think their going to get super far with a scanner and a 7.3. It's just simply too dumb

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^Whs. Typically, I have #8 flag. 8 is a long lead injector, which help with in cab noise on stock injectors. You would get a cackle with a normal injector in #8, and enough people complained, so it was changed. I believe with after market injectors it doesnt matter anymore, as enough **** has been changed that a little cackle isnt gonna be noticed.

But like ctc said, 7.3s and scanners are for yhe most part useless. Checking icp and rpm and buzz testing are about the only useful tho,gs a scanner will do On a 7.3...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you dont have oem injectors then it probably throws #8 because it isnt a long lead anymore. And odds are if you have the recall gray style cps in the truck, it throws that code for #3..

A cct only monitors what the oem calibration should be for oem performance. 3 and 8 are kinda the norm if any others pop up then there is an issue somewhere. I found a bent pushrod using a cct..

I have a otc genisis scanner and i have found many issues using it on so many trucks that i have forgotten how many. Hell, i have probably forgot more than i know about a 7.3 by now. Most people use auto enginuity and know what to look for. The ones who say they are useless to diagnose with either dont knkw what to look for or dont know how to use them to diagnose a 7.3 or dont care to do so.

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you dont have oem injectors then it probably throws #8 because it isnt a long lead anymore. And odds are if you have the recall gray style cps in the truck, it throws that code for #3..

A cct only monitors what the oem calibration should be for oem performance. 3 and 8 are kinda the norm if any others pop up then there is an issue somewhere. I found a bent pushrod using a cct..

I have a otc genisis scanner and i have found many issues using it on so many trucks that i have forgotten how many. Hell, i have probably forgot more than i know about a 7.3 by now. Most people use auto enginuity and know what to look for. The ones who say they are useless to diagnose with either dont knkw what to look for or dont know how to use them to diagnose a 7.3 or dont care to do so.

live life full throttle

Agreed. My otc genisys has never steered me in the wrong direction

Arisley

Reaction score
A lot of people expect the scanner to tell you that the wire is shorted to ground 1 foot 8 1/2 inches from so and so connector. When all it can do is tell you what it is reading.

Latest posts

Members online