Not your standard trans fluid question

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
So, I can get access to Chevron HD synthetic atf for heavy duty manual and alison type transmissions, anyone know if it would be ok to use in pickup manual transmissions and transfer cases? I've tried doing my research, but I cant seem to find anyone who has actually used it in a light duty pickup, and obviously I wouldn't want to toast anything... I know it can't be used in regular auto transmissions because it doesn't have the same friction properties as say mercron v, but beyond that, I have no idea

INFRNL

Reaction score
as long as it meets the specs for our tranny's it should be fine. I have used chevron MD-3 atf but i don't think it's HD. since getting my BTS it has shaeffers as that is what Brian recommends.

tomlin

Reaction score
The OEM fluid for the ZF6 was Mercon, at least on the 7.3's. Same for the transfer case. That said, I think Ford recently changed the transfer case to an actual transfer case fluid. This was due to the discontinuation of Mercon. The transfer cases apparently don't like Mercon 5.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Good to know.. I had found a pdf from Chevron that it is a good replacement for dextron III and mercron/ V, so I'm in the clear for my stroker and my bronco :rockon:

Members online

No members online now.