Torque specs

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Hey guys I finished working on my truck. Replaced the front hub assembly on both sides as well as new stubby axle shafts new seals thrust washer's and brakes.
Anyway in my buddies manual it says torque the 4 nuts that hold the bearing assembly to the nuckle to 55 lb/ft. That sounds low to me and I find others say it's 133 lb/ft.
Anyway he torqued them to 55 and after a decent drive I think something is loose. It's dark so I will get a look at it tomorrow. I also think I'm going to torque them to 133. Will that cause any issues?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I doubt they came loose but yes they are 133 ft lbs.

Did you loctite the install the studs into the hub?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That may be your issue. How did you tighten the studs into the new bearing? I thread one nut upside down, then thread another on top(so that the built in nut flats are meeting, tighten them against eash other, put loctit on threads going into bearing and then impact them into bearing. Take nuts off and then your good to go.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Wait did you re use the wheel bearings? I thought you installed new but reading again it doesn't sound like it

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
No sir everything is new. I tightened the studs by double nuts no lock tight but they are tight.
I pulled the front wheels off this morning and Re torqued the nuts to 133 ft/lbs and the lug nuts to 150 ft/lbs.
Now I have a vibration between 55-65 mph. Didn't vibrate till I Re torqued things. Not sure what the issue is now.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
The bearings and studs are all new. New rotors new brake pads even the u joints and axle shafts are new. I may take the wheels off because now I have a decent vibration I didn't have yesterday. I did have the lug nuts torqued to 110 ft/lbs till I found they needed to be more so now they are 150 and now I have a vibration, kinda sounds like my tire but why do it now and not yesterday when I drove 170 miles. As soon as I got to about 50 I could feel it good.

Last edited:

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Is the wheel hub centric? If not, you may not have it centered well enough.

My truck is a 2001 7.3 4x4 with stock wheels. I know that doesn't help but I am not sure and feel like a idiot but I don't know. Like you said it might not be centered maybe. It's raining and I have no where to go tommorow morning I'm gonna pull the wheels and see.

Not sure what to look for but I will take them off then Re install them. It's never had this vibration before and I have had the wheels off number of times. This is the first time I have torqued the wheels though which I set them at 150ft/lb.

OK I did some reading and I understand now but not sure what mine are but I will know tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
If you have stock wheels they are hub centric.
Since you just put new wheel bearing assemblies in, make sure that the lip that the wheel centers on is true.
150 ft lbs is correct torque for the lug nuts.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Since you just put new wheel bearing assemblies in, make sure that the lip that the wheel centers on is true.

Ok thanks I will check in the morning when I pull the wheels back off.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
OK pulled the wheels and everything looked good. Re torqued them and shake is gone. Thanks for the help guys. Now I'm off to figure out my oil level issue lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Superduty lugnuts are supposed to be 160ftlbs....

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No they’re not. If it’s an OE lug nut, 150ft lbs is stamped right on it.

Supposed to get a drop of oil between the captive washer and nut, then torque.
Hmm.. maybe i thought they said 160 on them. Lol.. either way. My 2000 owners manual said 150 to 165 and my 2015 owners manual says 165 ftlbs.. and correct about the oil. I use fluid film myself.
43b243b04d623d5758db35ab320d757f.jpg
a3f2c470cce3338bf45375a2cf06e842.jpg

live life full throttle

Zeb

Reaction score
Hmm.. maybe i thought they said 160 on them. Lol.. either way. My 2000 owners manual said 150 to 165 and my 2015 owners manual says 165 ftlbs.. and correct about the oil. I use fluid film myself.
43b243b04d623d5758db35ab320d757f.jpg
a3f2c470cce3338bf45375a2cf06e842.jpg

live life full throttle

My 12 said the same as my 15....

live life full throttle

Well......:slap: I’ve done very little wheel and tire work on the 11+.
Regardless, they aren’t supposed to just be run on with an air wrench like too many clowns do! LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well......:slap: I’ve done very little wheel and tire work on the 11+.

Regardless, they aren’t supposed to just be run on with an air wrench like too many clowns do! LOL
Lol. Very correct on the impact... usually takes the studs breaking off for those types of guys to learn.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online