Random long cranking problem

DMDP

Reaction score
Well a guy brought over a 01 ex. With a 7.3 in it with starting issues. He said randomly, it will just crank and crank and won't start. Someone told him to break the valve open on the fuel bowl and let it drain for a couple seconds and then try. He said that's the only way he got it to start both times it happened.

So now I got it here and of course, past 2 days, no problems at all. But this morning, she just cranked. I noticed the tach was not moving, so I started thinking cps. But then after like 15 sec of cranking it came up to around 200rpms bit still no start. Gave the starter a break, then started cranking again. No Rpms at all for like 10 seconds then it just started. I'm gonna go out and put scan tool on it and see if it's got any codes

What you guys think

Tom S

Reaction score
I would be swapping out the CPS for a start. I would also be tempted to test out that CPS in another truck.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
when it cranks with no RPM's showing, do you get your wait to start light and all the other gauges function?

DMDP

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about just doing that but now I just realized that the tach doesn't seam to move until it's running even when it starts perfectly.
Only code in it is p1212 icp (cranking) not detected

DMDP

Reaction score
Well the hpo line that runs to the drives side head had a pretty decent leak. So I replaced it and we will see what happens

Latest posts

Members online