Trans problems not sure what to do now

99stroker

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me I have an early 99 SD with 330,000 miles on it and the 4r100 trans is not holding up any more. It has stage two injectors and a stage two turbo and a ts chip with reburn by Tony wildman I bought the truck a little over a year ago it was a company truck and they told me the trans had been completely rebuilt 3 times the last time it was built they company put the best stuff they could put in it and even a shift kit put 6 months ago the trans started making a whining noise when i shut the truck off and a week later the trans blow up on me it ate a center support bearing and fried the forward drive clutch pack but still had reverse I found lots of metal in the pan when I pulled it off so I had the trans rebuilt again and was told that the trans had some really high quality parts in it and when I had it rebuilt I had them put a few more clutches in the forward drive hub hoping that would help and it has done well up until last week it started making a whining noise again everything still works fine and haven't found any metal in the pan but the noise really has me worried that the trans is goin out again anyone ever have this happen before not sure what to do with this trans nightmare any help would be great
thanks
Josh

Last edited:

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Im not sure what your sound might be but i would suggest taking it to a trans shop and have them try and diagnose it. Did this rebuild come with any type of warranty?

99stroker

Reaction score
It's been to a trans shop but never made the whining noise when they had it but every thing in the trans is new even the convertor i have only put 8000 miles on the truck sense this last rebuild so yes all has warrenty but shop wont do amything till they can duplicate the noise or there is a failer I have scanned the truck for trouble codes and was none. Truck shifts like a dream and pulls like a horse still am just tryin to find out why it would have this whining noise that comes and goes I know the noise have heard it before then the trans went out the last time as anyone else experienced this problem before or no of a fix to get it to not do it again

Tom S

Reaction score
I would suggest not letting yourself get sucked too far down a money pit if the place your using proves to not have the ability to build a transmission that will hold up to a truck with injectors in it. Your story is a very common one that I have seen a million times. One of the best transmission builders in the world for these trucks is Brian Truck Shop in Arkansas. Tons of guys have driven from all over the country to get one. His warranty is second to none. John Wood in California is also a good one.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
the whining noise when it's shut down is what's getting me..
I can't think of anything that would cause it..

hey, question..
does your truck have a lift and tires on it?

Latest posts

Members online