More problems

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
OK I did that ping pong ball on the oil fill opening and it spins around. Decent amount of smoke comes out also. How much is too much? I know it's not a do way to check but all I can do at the moment.
I also keep getting oil on top The power steering pump cap. It's not atf which is what I run its motor oil. It's a new pump and that thing whines and drives me crazy.
My drivers side front tire rubs the back side of the inner fender when turning out the driveway. Just driver side, the tires are 285/75r/16 . The tag say it came with 265/75/16 which I plan on going back with.
Truck is a 2001 7.3 4x4 cc with a intake and exhaust everything else is stock and it has 274,000.

13fist

Reaction score
I don't recommend going back down in tire size. No one ever says "glad i did that". But it is up to you.
Never heard about the pingpong ball test. I doubt one would stay on my truck, most folks flip the oil cap over and see if that blows off.
There is always going to be smoke, a steady fogging is normal. More on a cold engine.
The oil on the ps pump can only becoming from a couple places. I'd look at valve cover & gasket first and go from there.
The tire rub sounds like it could be track bar issues. I'd look over the whole front end, sagging leaf springs, spring & shackle bushings, balljoints, etc.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
The only reason is for fuel mileage. I have owned the truck over a year now and don't go off road, heck I have never even tried the 4x4 yet. I will look over the front not sure what I'm looking at but don't see anything bent.
When I do turn I don't ever go full to the stop with the steering. My valve cover looks ok but I believe the oil cooler is leaking. Not sure how that would get on top The pump as its below but I will do some more digging around.
I heard about the ping pong ball years ago as well the oil cap. My cap slides around some do to the vibration of the engine mainly lol.

Thanks for the help I have some parts to order and lots of work to do trying to get this truck more reliable and a better driver.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Pull the inner fender liner back with a couple zip ties and you’ll be fine. That’s what I had to do with mine to fit the 305/70r16s.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Pull the inner fender liner back with a couple zip ties and you’ll be fine. That’s what I had to do with mine to fit the 305/70r16s.

I'm gonna see if I get the clearance I need with the stock size tires. It doesn't rub bad but you hear it hit when full locked.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
What power steering fluid did you use? They take ATF. Plain old power steering fluid will make noise.

Mobile 1 synthetic atf. Before I put the new pump on I flushed the system because I found a bottle of power steering fluid behind the seat when I bought the truck.
Only thing I can think it's a pump from autozone. Is there a better pump out there? Be nice if I could buy a new one. The truck doesn't turn that great to begin with.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Best factory replacement pump would be a Motorcraft.

I hope your autozone pump isn't bad. I bought one but never put it in. got it because ford was on backorder at the time. Ford PS pumps have never been good especially when putting on larger tires.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Best factory replacement pump would be a Motorcraft.

I hope your autozone pump isn't bad. I bought one but never put it in. got it because ford was on backorder at the time. Ford PS pumps have never been good especially when putting on larger tires.

Thanks I'm gonna look into that pump. It has fresh atf and still makes noise. It's a reman pump so they aren't that great. Good warranty but who wants to keep changing pumps.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I hear you there, i don't even want to change mine as it is.
My factory pump whines sometimes and i top it off with fluid and it goes away. I probably put a little extra in it, but it hasn't died yet. I guess that's one good thing.

I will give the autozone pump a chance(I think) but at some point i will buy a new ford unit just in case.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I hear you there, i don't even want to change mine as it is.
My factory pump whines sometimes and i top it off with fluid and it goes away. I probably put a little extra in it, but it hasn't died yet. I guess that's one good thing.

I will give the autozone pump a chance(I think) but at some point i will buy a new ford unit just in case.

I need to find a better pump this thing sucks honestly. Have several things I'm trying to get done on truck. Looking at shocks also lol

Latest posts

Members online