GTP38 Hybrid?

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
What was your setup when using stocker with 66mm& 1.0 exhaust? I'm running stock sticks with no programmer or chip. But I will be when decide what to do on rebuilding my stocker. I plan on a t4 setup when injectors go. And who knows what size housing the banks quick turbo kit is?
Stock injectors, 4 inch exhaust, a few different 70-120 chips. Turbo wheels were stock with the ported ATS housing and banks 1.0 turbine housing. The ball bearing 38R turbo came out after I had these parts which is what I eventually switched to.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've decided to go ahead with the basic rebuild kit and inspect everything,replace what needs it and go with a wick wheel2 wheel. However I have found a Garrett 38r brand new for 1250$. And it is made by Garrett. Only thing is I'd like to have the smaller exhaust housing. I need to find out if the factory .84 will fit. I know they offer them but then you're getting up over what I need to spend.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Stock injectors, 4 inch exhaust, a few different 70-120 chips. Turbo wheels were stock with the ported ATS housing and banks 1.0 turbine housing. The ball bearing 38R turbo came out after I had these parts which is what I eventually switched to.

That's good to know. I'd really like to hear from someone who has the banks quick turbo housing upgrade. Nowhere I can find the the size of it. Before I go to spending a lot though I'll go with the 38r and sell it when I get injectors and bw sxe366. I might even get most of my $ back. I'm sure I won't with the modded stocker. Thanks guys for the info.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
That's good to know. I'd really like to hear from someone who has the banks quick turbo housing upgrade. Nowhere I can find the the size of it. Before I go to spending a lot though I'll go with the 38r and sell it when I get injectors and bw sxe366. I might even get most of my $ back. I'm sure I won't with the modded stocker. Thanks guys for the info.
Banks quick turbo is 1.0 which what I had. The 38R made slighly more power but was TONS louder which got old very quick especially for my wife. Those 1.0 turbine housings are expensive now and really not worth it unless you find a used one. I had about $700-$750.00 in both the exhaust and ported compressor housing, you are better off buying a 38R now if you need to buy new.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've decided to go ahead with the basic rebuild kit and inspect everything,replace what needs it and go with a wick wheel2 wheel. However I have found a Garrett 38r brand new for 1250$. And it is made by Garrett. Only thing is I'd like to have the smaller exhaust housing. I need to find out if the factory .84 will fit. I know they offer them but then you're getting up over what I need to spend.
The 1.0 spools plenty quick on the 38R, no need for the .84 in my opinion.

Back woods

Reaction score
So what about using a Van turbine wheel in a gtp38? That was kind of my original question. Would there be any gain going to the larger turbine wheel that came in the TP38 and E-series.

Super Duty
Inducer: 76.50 MM
Exducer: 67.78 MM
Tip Height: 11.90 MM
Journal: 10.16 MM
Stem: 6.35 MM
Blades: 10

Van/TP38
Inducer: 76.50 MM
Exducer: 69.80 MM
Tip Height: 13.38 MM
Journal: 10.16 MM
Stem: 6.35 MM
Blades: 10

2.02mm bigger Exducer than the GTP38. The TP38 turbine is also bigger than the 38r turbine wheel.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I like the KC rebuild kit. 360 journal and complete rebuild. I'll keep my housing stock and go with a billet wheel. Unless the the turbine wheel ( or the rear wheel that pulls exhaust) needs replacing I'll just be around 350$ in a new turbo that should be good enough till injectors. Then I'll go t4. I'm not taking chances at this point on being laggy. Bottom end is the only gripe I have with my truck and a triple disc billet tc would do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

JDelaney

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know why you guys are even considering modding a stock turbo. I have yet to hear of anyone not being amazed at the performance increase when switching from stock, an, or 38R turbos to an S364.5. 20 year old tech has an awfully hard time keeping up with the new stuff and by the time you fix leaky up pipes, install a new housing and a WW2 you are almost into T4 mount/turbo territory.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I paid 200 for upipes 80 for rebuild kit and 200 for a wheel to get rid of surge. 480 vs 1500 for GTP 38r or 2600 for t4 and 366? I'm not modding for for big injectors and 500hp just need it working like it used to. All that will come later as needed.

Back woods

Reaction score
The time has come to make a decision on this. My wife's Excursion is showing signs of a bad turbo. The compressor wheel is making some noise on shut down and it has some radial play. I am well aware of the T4 setups and I am an accomplished fabricator but it is not worth the work.

Have made the decision to go with a Van turbo. Mainly because of the larger turbine wheel. The current setup is stock with an ATS housing. Plan is to install the Van turbo, send out the .84 housing to be machined and and reinstall. Should keep the spool fast and open up a little more top end.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I went with KC's stage 1 turbo. I ordered it Tuesday it should be here Monday. It's more or less a 38r with a .84 ar.

565edge

Reaction score
I was just going to tell you i have a modded tp38 just like you are talking about. I have the larger turbine wheel with a .84 housing, large billet wheel out of a 38r in a ported hoysing with a 360 degree thrust. Works turbochargers did all the work for $1,050. Im happy with it but am having egt issues towing 17k up big grades. It seems to spool decent with stock injectors. I would of sold this to you and a dp tuner f5 with 7 tunes in it. I need to step up and get the kc turbi stage 2 366 turbo. Let us know how that new turbo works for you.

Back woods

Reaction score
Well, decided to give the new KC turbo SXE drop in turbine a shot. Got the 70mm wheel for the Van housing. This will be my setup; ATS ported housing, 11 blade billet wheel, 1.15 housing, 360 bearing and SXE turbine wheel. Should be a good combo.

Will post up so side by side pictures of the turbine soon

Back woods

Reaction score
Yes, they are selling drop in SXE turbines for tp38/gtp38 applications. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

Last edited:

565edge

Reaction score
I got one of the turbine wheels also in 70 mm. Does anyone know how to mill out the turbine housing for the larger turbine wheel? I have a 70mm obs turbine now with the .84 housing. I found a guy on Ebay who has the 1.0 garret brand wastegated turbo housings for $245. I want to try both housings with the new sxe style turbine wheel I just received. It looks like the inducer is the same size but the exducer is what is larger. I was thinking I just needed to open up the entire housing before actually measuring it. Now I'm wondering if I need to send off to a turbo shop to get machined or of a local machine shop can open it up.

The Brad

Reaction score
I got one of the turbine wheels also in 70 mm. Does anyone know how to mill out the turbine housing for the larger turbine wheel? I have a 70mm obs turbine now with the .84 housing. I found a guy on Ebay who has the 1.0 garret brand wastegated turbo housings for $245. I want to try both housings with the new sxe style turbine wheel I just received. It looks like the inducer is the same size but the exducer is what is larger. I was thinking I just needed to open up the entire housing before actually measuring it. Now I'm wondering if I need to send off to a turbo shop to get machined or of a local machine shop can open it up.

Slap that sucker in there and take me for a ride this weekend!