7.3 been sitting

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 7.3 SD that's been sitting for 3 years now. The clutch dropped out and I've been too busy with other things, and haven't needed it to tow anything for that time. I am looking to get it up and running soon for a trip this fall, so I wanted to know if there is anything else I should do besides changing the batteries, oil, and making sure the air intake is clear. TIA

greyford1979

Reaction score
I would take a look at the wire harnesses, make sure nothing has made a home under there and chewed up any of the wiring.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Fresh fuel.

Good point, should I drain what is in the tank and mix it slowly back in, or simply top off the tank? I think it's about half a tank so ~15 gallons.

I would take a look at the wire harnesses, make sure nothing has made a home under there and chewed up any of the wiring.

Do you mean the ones under the valve covers, or the wiring throughout the engine bay?

Brake calipers will be stuck probably

Any thing I need to do to unstick them? Any damage incurred?

Thanks again guys.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Not much you can do. Just replace them IF they stick. You could try to take them apart, press them all the way closed then pump them up.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
When looking over your exposed wires in the engine bay you are looking for any damage from the little critters who like to knawl and chew. They will even chew on hard plastic.

Arisley

Reaction score
Good point, should I drain what is in the tank and mix it slowly back in, or simply top off the tank? I think it's about half a tank so ~15 gallons.

Thanks again guys.

I would drain it and use the old stuff for weed killer, but you can put it back in your tank a bit at a time.

On the brakes, if they are seized, they are seized in the open position, jack up the truck, spin the tire and have someone hit the brake, check them that way. I let my truck sit for over two years once and had no brake issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.