Stock exhaust

Diesel625

Reaction score
I was wondering how bad the factory downpipe restricts the exhaust. For tuning all I run is a 40hp FICM tune. The cat and muffler are ******d as well. I’d like to run a 4” exhaust, but if I’m not going to benefit, I’d rather spend money elsewhere. My thoughts were to run a 3.5” downpipe and a 3.5” muffler to quiet it down a bit. Any suggestions?

sootie

Reaction score
waste of money upgrading the down pipe on a on a tune only truck.

Zeb

Reaction score
I’m with Sootie on this one.
If you want to clean up and quiet down a butchered up system MBRP makes a nice 4” downpipe back system.
A factory exhaust isn’t nearly as restrictive as a lot of people think/claim it is.
What I’m going to say can be disagreed with and probably picked apart, but I think it is accurate.
My wife’s Excursion has 205/30’s, CNC Fab Stage 2 hpop, RCD Stage 1 cam, ODawg intake manifold, Irate T-4, SX-E 63/68/.83, the up pipes are wrapped with DEI Titanium header wrap, and the turbine has a Turbo Performance Products blanket on it, CSF 6028 intercooler,

Zeb

Reaction score
Sorry, accidentally posted before I was finished typing.
It has a custom fuel system, Jesse Warren tuned it, and it has a DPC Heavy Duty triple disc converter, a a STOCK (catalytic converter and muffler still there) exhaust because she wanted it quiet.
On Bo Layne’s Super Flow dyno it did 508/938 and 511/940. Let it cool down, bumped the load up 5% and raised the starting speed 5 mph and it did 509/942 and 511/943. Let it cool off and separated the exhaust where it was downpipe only and it did 509/943.
If a truck is close to stock power there isn’t a lot of point in changing the exhaust other than for it to sound cooler.

03_PSD

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I'm stock (tune only) but did 3.5 dp and killed the kitty. My lower egts have been the only benefit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.