Differences over the years from 2011-16

story5253

Reaction score
So I know each year things get tweaked. Sometimes even halfway through the year.

I’m familiar with the 7.3 and the different engine tweaks as well as brakes and such.

But here is the question. What changed from year to year? Let it be motor changes interior changes or powertrain. We all here have heard oh the first gen 6R140 are better than the ones in 15-16. But why is that? Pics would be great. Dimensions and specs to support as well would be even better. If you have part numbers for upgraded parts that would be awesome.

My goal here is to learn and know the platform better. As well as being able to use this as a reference guide for upgrading parts or not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cappa

Reaction score
Also worth mentioning is some people say to avoid buying a job 1, 2011 as there were some that had bad valves. If one comes apart it basically destroys the motor.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Just for future reference

17+ job 1 and newer got a new front cover and water pump.

New motor mounts

Bigger wrist pins

17 + Job2 and newer builds get new larger connecting rods vs job1 17 and older.

17 + Cooling system routing changed vs 11-16

17 + has internal oil drain for turbocharger

17+ new oil cooler

18+ get new revised heads

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
15+ got a new standard style GT37 chassis turbocharger

15+ got a new higher output HPFP with increased capacity (if I remember right it's in the 8-9% range)

New injectors

15+ transmission clutch count was reduced

15+ New polymer coating on main bearings for improved wear-and-tear durability and lower friction
15+ - Improved crankshaft fillet design – the transition point between the crankshaft's journals – to increase crankshaft power carrying capability
15+ - Increased crankshaft damper weight to reduce rotating forces on the crankshaft when the engine is performing at peak power levels
15+ - New five-layer head gasket to handle wider range of engine firing pressures resulting from more powerful engine performance
15+ - Added material to the engine's cylinder heads, exhaust manifold and valvetrain to handle increased power levels
15+ - Redesigned turbo oil and cooling lines to improve sealing
15+ - Piston assembly upgrades to increase load-bearing capability
15+ - New four-layer exhaust manifold gasket for improved durability

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Basically these are tweaks from year with some hard parts changed here and there, some good some "bad" as some might say.

2017+

Ford moved the low pressure fuel system pump from the frame to a in tank style pump and revised water separator.

Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks other than needing to drop the tank if the low pressure pump ever gives out.

story5253

Reaction score
What exactly changed to the brakes in 2013? Bigger rotors?

story5253

Reaction score
Does anyone know if heads are interchangeable. I have a 2011 and I’m looking into changing heads for fear of valves in the stock heads grenading my motor. Also if I’m to change heads to say 15 heads will my exhaust manifolds fit? I know I’d need new glow plugs to fit the newer heads.

sootie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if heads are interchangeable. I have a 2011 and I’m looking into changing heads for fear of valves in the stock heads grenading my motor. Also if I’m to change heads to say 15 heads will my exhaust manifolds fit? I know I’d need new glow plugs to fit the newer heads.

Yes interchangeable. Any changes will be internal and likely will improve performance.

story5253

Reaction score
How much different are the injectors from 11-14 and 15-16? Is it a difference in nozzles? Or is it purely the 15 cp4 provides that extra amount of fuel?

sootie

Reaction score
How much different are the injectors from 11-14 and 15-16? Is it a difference in nozzles? Or is it purely the 15 cp4 provides that extra amount of fuel?

nozzles and the inside diameter of the body is larger.

sootie

Reaction score
No. You will see no power difference between a 2011 truck with 15+ turbo and pump than you would see with a 2015. Any difference there would be tune related.

Where you see the difference is when you run a stroker pump or dual fuelers with a bigger turbo setup and can only see 700 HP on an 11-14 truck and on a 15+ you might get 740HP. (Numbers for illustration purposes only)

story5253

Reaction score
No. You will see no power difference between a 2011 truck with 15+ turbo and pump than you would see with a 2015. Any difference there would be tune related.

Where you see the difference is when you run a stroker pump or dual fuelers with a bigger turbo setup and can only see 700 HP on an 11-14 truck and on a 15+ you might get 740HP. (Numbers for illustration purposes only)

So in less words it’s a very minimal change that gains a minimal amount of satisfaction.

Thank you all for the input so far. This is definitely helping me understand what I have now. As well as what I want to change later.

Latest posts

Members online