Piston de-lip specifics

bigfords

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm rebuilding a 7.3 to go in my truck and am going with .020 over Mahle pistons. Can any of you give me the specifics on de-lipping the pistons? The lip on the pistons does not seem very sharp to me. I don't want to have too much of it cut if not needed.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DieselDC

Reaction score
Talk to swamps diesel.

Basically removed any spots where heat can build up on and modifications to the bowl of the piston allows for better fuel automization.

If you’re not making big power - why even bother? If you plan to, go for it for sure!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

bigfords

Reaction score
I've got 230/100s in my truck now, but going with a fresh set of 238/80s. Building a tow rig.

I'm not too sure it is totally necessary for me to de lip in my situation. Cutting the lips actually decreases atomization efficiency in my understanding, which is why I'm hesitant. The Mahle pistons I have don't seem to have a very sharp edge, any possiblity they come de lipped from Mahle?

DieselDC

Reaction score
You should really talk to swamps or Carson stauffer. All about heat prevention is all I know. You got mild injectors and towing with them so I would invest in it.

Now if it was me and I had forged stock goodies, I’d put springs in and run with them. Since you got them out, it would be worth it to speak to one of the two for better knowledge.

Carson stauffer done up the DT360 I have - springs for 4K+ revs, ppump and gears with injectors, bts etc. The man knows his chit.

—————signature—————

uncool

Reaction score
In your situation, I would spend the money on a better turbo and ceramic coat what you have. That will do more for heat reduction than de-lipping the pistons.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that de-lipping is more to prevent cracking at higher heat and or stress levels than anything else. In other words for the competition crowd or Hot street trucks. The coating of the pistons is more to help with heat prevention/transfer. But at your power levels I don't think it's necessary. Make sure that who ever you have install your pistons, that they check your clearances as well. In other words piston protrusion to head clearance. Ask me how I know?
Yeah, I know, it's engine building 101, but you can't fix stupid in some folks.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that de-lipping is more to prevent cracking at higher heat and or stress levels than anything else. In other words for the competition crowd or Hot street trucks. The coating of the pistons is more to help with heat prevention/transfer. But at your power levels I don't think it's necessary. Make sure that who ever you have install your pistons, that they check your clearances as well. In other words piston protrusion to head clearance. Ask me how I know?
Yeah, I know, it's engine building 101, but you can't fix stupid in some folks.

You are correct, it’s what I’ve said above. All to prevent heat build up / hot spots in a race or high hp build.

—————signature—————

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You are correct, it’s what I’ve said above. All to prevent heat build up / hot spots in a race or high hp build.

—————signature—————
Or any 7.3 build.. lol.. before i had my dually rebuilt the first time it had cracks in all 8 pistons around the lip.. plus valve stamps.. lol..

live life full throttle

bigfords

Reaction score
Yes I'm running a 366SXE right now and it keeps things very cool. The delip is just to prevent cracking. I'll be assembling the engine, but I had the machine shop check piston protrusion and it is in spec.

I'm not overly concerned about the delip, it wanted to do it if necessary, and the right way! Thanks for the input so far.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes I'm running a 366SXE right now and it keeps things very cool. The delip is just to prevent cracking. I'll be assembling the engine, but I had the machine shop check piston protrusion and it is in spec.

I'm not overly concerned about the delip, it wanted to do it if necessary, and the right way! Thanks for the input so far.

The sharp edge of the lip can cause a heat issue or strength issue. There is more to doing the lip than just heat. Bone Stock 7.3s can crack them.. its a good idea to do regardless of how cool your truck runs.

live life full throttle

Countrycar

Reaction score
This picture of my engine is on my night stand:sleep: And yes it looked very cool, right before the heads went on anyhow.. LOL....

Attachments

• Briceno 1.JPG
    Briceno 1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

DieselDC

Reaction score
Will it make it LOOK cool?

No, no one cal see it. It’s like love, no one can see it but only you can feel the #boost

—————signature—————

gwunter

Reaction score
No, no one cal see it. It’s like love, no one can see it but only you can feel the #boost

—————signature—————
Well played!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Maybe I should take my heads off when a stranger ask about my truck.

“See that!, I’m COOL!”

hucorey

Reaction score
Delipping reduces your compression ratio, which in colder months, if you daily drive, causes harder starts.

When we fire up the p pumped engine when it's a bit chilly it takes about 6 cans of ether to get it warm enough to stay running. :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Delipping reduces your compression ratio, which in colder months, if you daily drive, causes harder starts.

When we fire up the p pumped engine when it's a bit chilly it takes about 6 cans of ether to get it warm enough to stay running. :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Define colder....

Your p pump 7.3 is a completely different animal.. lmao!!!!!

live life full throttle

gwunter

Reaction score
Hucorey, you mention it lowers decompression and harder cold starts on your ppump engine. I'm assuming your ppump engine also has lower comp pistons in it along with delipping? Do you have any appx. measurements of how much lower just delipping puts it, maybe it's not enough to matter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online