The 400rwhp Excursion Project

Bersaglieri

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to PSA and 7.3's but not new to diesels. Been reading alot of threads on here over the last year or so.

Bought the wife a 2002 Excursion and have been doing budget mods to it over the last year or so. PHP Hydra, straight pipe, K&N filter, gauges, and necessary suspension mods for safer driving. We put around 30,000 miles on it a year.

At 320,000 miles we were experiencing injector oring failures. And so it began... It started with preparing to install Full Force 180/30 injectors and then I found out the turbo was pretty worn. Then bad uppipes, glow plugs, cups, the list goes on. The good news is that we have 400-440psi of compression in the cylinders. Now I am on a mission to replace anything that will give us issues down the road.

With 320,000 miles is there anything I need to fix or replace other than what I have listed below? Yes, I know the trans will die, at least it will be quick.

Current plan:
Full Force 180/30
Ford/Alliant cups, glow plugs, valve cover gaskets/wiring
Irate Diesel T4 kit
Borg Warner s364.5sxe .91 A/R T4
Mahle top end gasket kit and Mahle bolts
Gaerhead tuning

Questions:

1. With 320,000 miles on the valve train, should I do valve seals and valve springs? Comp 910's?

2. Are head studs necessary for my goals?

Thanks!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to PSA and 7.3's but not new to diesels. Been reading alot of threads on here over the last year or so.

Bought the wife a 2002 Excursion and have been doing budget mods to it over the last year or so. PHP Hydra, straight pipe, K&N filter, gauges, and necessary suspension mods for safer driving. We put around 30,000 miles on it a year.

At 320,000 miles we were experiencing injector oring failures. And so it began... It started with preparing to install Full Force 180/30 injectors and then I found out the turbo was pretty worn. Then bad uppipes, glow plugs, cups, the list goes on. The good news is that we have 400-440psi of compression in the cylinders. Now I am on a mission to replace anything that will give us issues down the road.

With 320,000 miles is there anything I need to fix or replace other than what I have listed below? Yes, I know the trans will die, at least it will be quick.

Current plan:
Full Force 180/30
Irate Diesel T4 kit
Gaerhead tuning

Questions:

1. With 320,000 miles on the valve train, should I do valve seals and valve springs? Comp 910's?

Thanks!

That sounds like a great list to do... definitely do comp 910s and it wont hurt a bit to do seals. If budget allows then i would recommend head studs too.

And get that k&n filter swapped out of it asap.

I completely agree with sootie and arisley!!

live life full throttle

DieselDC

Reaction score

Current plan:

Full Force 180/30

Irate Diesel T4 kit

Gaerhead tuning

Questions:

Thanks!

I honestly would stick to the stock setup with a ******d pedestal. Tried and true. You’re not making enough power to warrant the “ability” to switch new turbos with the t4 setup, which the t4 setup allows you to do.

Head studs are not necessary and so are comp 910. 160/30 pis injectors would get you to 400+ easily.

You’ e done the major stuff on the top Valley so United good there. Pay attention to the radiator if it’s still oem. You might have a leak soon.

With that all said, if you can afford it, wth not get all the items on your list - after all, you might have the itch for more power.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

DieselDC

Reaction score
Bought my PIS from cncfab só he was my go to guy. I only dealt with him. Even he admits PIS are hard to get a hold of but he does get a hold of
Them. They were sold last year to a new owner IIRC.

My next rebuild will be rosewood or another set of PIS. Really considering swamps 200k warranty.

—————signature—————

dsberman94

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the past quality from PIS before it was sold. But good luck trying to call them or get in touch with them to get anything done now.

dmd

Reaction score
You are forgetting what you need to do before any of this. You need a valve body for
the trans. You will spin it pretty quick with the addded power. Maybe a
TC with more plates too.

If you get gerahead tunes make sure that they ture it so the TC stays locked down to the unlock speed even when you have the brake on.. Mine unlock and I loose any
engine braking even at 70mph.. It isnt much but it helps in the hills.

How about a HPOP, I am sure the original is pretty warn

DieselDC

Reaction score
Negative - nothing wrong with a pmr to live at 500hp with proper build/tuning. 400/425 ain’t chit but only a sneeze.

—————signature—————

jbolen323

Reaction score
ive broken two forged rod motors, my pmr motor is still alive and out running around after 2 constant years of 250/2 of abuse.

pmr vs forged rod ehh none of you will ever get to that point in my opinion, all about luck and maintenance and tuning / abuse.

as stated 400hp is pretty simple, its pretty easy to do 550hp in almost everything drop in wise, which is would push unless you WANT more power or want to spend more money & like the idea if t4.

Hell you can be 400 + with just 160-180cc/30% on a stock turbo, adding a kc38r improves this even more.

Favorite setup for anything below.
238/80 ..........spend extra $500 on injectors vs oil hungry 160/30 (usually needs fresh hpop) 6:1 so i push the hybrids & more on the table to grow.
KC38r
Mb17 hpop (optional depending on health)
Afe Big boost intake (NOT THE 6637)
Hydra + SDK / GH / Jelibuilt tunes
cnc 4 line fuel kit or go all out with 444fab fuel premium kit and ******s

wait till the trans grenades and beef it up

Last edited:

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Ive had two sets of PIS injectors. They were awesome. My recent set **** out a nozzle and they were repaired. That said Id go somewhere else. Not what they used to be. Which is sad. Their 250/200s were stellar.

I personally wouldnt put much more than a 30% nozzled a code injector into a 300k+ mile motor. The op has the correct idea. He wants longevity.

People grenaded low mile pmr motors with stage 2 injectors back in the day. Tuning has come a long way but to say its "nothing" because you have two years experience throwing huge junk into worn out 20 year old junk and it "holds" isnt typical.

I have an overbuilt old piece of shti myself that had 100k miles put on it at over 500hp...so im not making shti up but its not ffor the feint of heart.

My next issue with hp numbers that are thrown around. I had 250t200s from full force. The truck was 100hp underpowered due to the performance of those injectors. But i see quite a few people claiming 500hp out of 160cc worth of fuel. Im not picking on jbolen, i have or had the guys phone number and have text him when looking for parts. But him and Jake were both near 500 on ac inj with 100% nozzles. Those two trucks are an anomaly not the norm.

If you are 410-450 with any 160-170 with a 80 or 100% nozzle you are good. Be happy.

Next point i appreciated made by jbolen was why not just get a damn hybrid and choose the nozzle size you wanted and tune it how you want. Those ac injectors really need lots of oil for what you get out of them. Do a 200 or 238 and put a 30-80% nozzle on it

Orrrrr leave the truck stock and throw a set of 160 30s in and tune it for all it can do and enjoy it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ive had two sets of PIS injectors. They were awesome. My recent set **** out a nozzle and they were repaired. That said Id go somewhere else. Not what they used to be. Which is sad. Their 250/200s were stellar.

I personally wouldnt put much more than a 30% nozzled a code injector into a 300k+ mile motor. The op has the correct idea. He wants longevity.

People grenaded low mile pmr motors with stage 2 injectors back in the day. Tuning has come a long way but to say its "nothing" because you have two years experience throwing huge junk into worn out 20 year old junk and it "holds" isnt typical.

I have an overbuilt old piece of shti myself that had 100k miles put on it at over 500hp...so im not making shti up but its not ffor the feint of heart.

My next issue with hp numbers that are thrown around. I had 250t200s from full force. The truck was 100hp underpowered due to the performance of those injectors. But i see quite a few people claiming 500hp out of 160cc worth of fuel. Im not picking on jbolen, i have or had the guys phone number and have text him when looking for parts. But him and Jake were both near 500 on ac inj with 100% nozzles. Those two trucks are an anomaly not the norm.

If you are 410-450 with any 160-170 with a 80 or 100% nozzle you are good. Be happy.

Next point i appreciated made by jbolen was why not just get a damn hybrid and choose the nozzle size you wanted and tune it how you want. Those ac injectors really need lots of oil for what you get out of them. Do a 200 or 238 and put a 30-80% nozzle on it

Orrrrr leave the truck stock and throw a set of 160 30s in and tune it for all it can do and enjoy it
Good post Ty.

live life full throttle

hucorey

Reaction score
I'd go with the current KC38R. For the HP you're looking for just doesn't justify the ROI on a T4 setup. 550hp and under that charger does extremely well. We've installed many locally with 238cc and smaller injectors and guys are loving the charger.

Pic below is a customer with 230/100 Swamps injectors in the hot street tune pulling his 38' 5'er that weight 14k.
1c0692bcc75e17bae16df1e78ba7934f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'd go with the current KC38R. For the HP you're looking for just doesn't justify the ROI on a T4 setup. 550hp and under that charger does extremely well. We've installed many locally with 238cc and smaller injectors and guys are loving the charger.

Pic below is a customer with 230/100 Swamps injectors in the hot street tune pulling his 38' 5'er that weight 14k.
1c0692bcc75e17bae16df1e78ba7934f.jpg

Pssssshhhhhh, let me know how that setup does at 120mph then we can compare.... lmao. Did that with my dually and 12k fiver on a road trip once. Never broke 1300°

live life full throttle

hucorey

Reaction score
Pssssshhhhhh, let me know how that setup does at 120mph then we can compare.... lmao. Did that with my dually and 12k fiver on a road trip once. Never broke 1300°

live life full throttle
Lmao. I will never pull any trailer at 120mph, let alone a 5'er.

But he did tell me that while pulling hills at 75mph EGT's never got above 1100*. And easily pulled away from his other buddy pulling a tiny single axle pop-up in a suburban heading up to Houghton lake on US127.

Latest posts

Members online