Project Second Strike-----my REDEMPTION build

107stroker

Reaction score
Prior to pulling the converter to the flex plate like sootie said, grab a stud and make sure the converter can turn. It has enough play to thunk thunk against the hole in the flex plate. That will ensure it is not bound up, like not fully seated in the pump. Also, do not pull the case to the engine using power tools. If it doesnt slide together smoothly at first, use something you cant put too much torque on to walk the trans to the motor. Sometimes the dowels are a bitch, but if you force it you can break the trans case, crush the pump, etc. Just go easy and it should be good. I use my 1/4in screw gun with the clutch set on 3...

Should I remove the purple paint off the converter where it fits in the back of he motor? Are the tolerances that tight? And I guess clean the dowels too. Good idea w the small impact driver:thumbsup:

107stroker

Reaction score
Is the dip stick bolted in place? I have an oring to put in it somehow the builder sent

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The dipstick tube has 1 10mm nut holding it to the rh valve cover. The o ring will go on the tube, i usually dont unbolt them, just kinda tetris it in.

107stroker

Reaction score
OK guys I have killed my truck. Got the transmission installed and it went pretty straight forward. Got it all buttoned up, extra ground wires installed w the new trans. put the fluid in and NO CRANK. Turn the key and nothin. The security light is blinking, odometer is just dashes. I had the batteries disconnected like the install sheet said during the install . Well then I hooked my sct to it and it wouldn't communicate. It said ERROR. Any ideas or help would be awesome. I was so looking forward to getting to drive w the new trans cause I've been sorta pampering it for a couple months trying not to totally destroy the stock unit. :fustrate::fustrate:

sootie

Reaction score
OK guys I have killed my truck. Got the transmission installed and it went pretty straight forward. Got it all buttoned up, extra ground wires installed w the new trans. put the fluid in and NO CRANK. Turn the key and nothin. The security light is blinking, odometer is just dashes. I had the batteries disconnected like the install sheet said during the install . Well then I hooked my sct to it and it wouldn't communicate. It said ERROR. Any ideas or help would be awesome. I was so looking forward to getting to drive w the new trans cause I've been sorta pampering it for a couple months trying not to totally destroy the stock unit. :fustrate::fustrate:

To confirm, you did nothing to the truck other than swap the trans and disconnect the batteries?

Sounds like a pats issue. With the truck in park, turn the ignition to the run position. Open the hood and find the small bullet connector on the passenger side positive cable(brown wire iirc). Separate the connection and touch the side that runs down towards the engine, to the positive post on the battery. That should crank the engine over. If it resets the pats, the engine will start.

PS do it at your own risk, I'm not sure why your odometer is showing dashes, thatight be an indication of something else that I'm not aware of.

Also make sure the transmission wiring harness is seated correctly.

107stroker

Reaction score
To confirm, you did nothing to the truck other than swap the trans and disconnect the batteries?

Sounds like a pats issue. With the truck in park, turn the ignition to the run position. Open the hood and find the small bullet connector on the passenger side positive cable(brown wire iirc). Separate the connection and touch the side that runs down towards the engine, to the positive post on the battery. That should crank the engine over. If it resets the pats, the engine will start.

PS do it at your own risk, I'm not sure why your odometer is showing dashes, thatight be an indication of something else that I'm not aware of.

Yes thats all I did besides adding the new ground wires. I will check the bolt in harness on the passenger side of the trans tomorrow just to confirm its nice and snug. Then I will try what you said w the bullet connector. This is just crazy Thanks again SOOTIE

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did you take any of the smaller wires off the battery cables? Make sjre they are all reinstalled. And double check that the pcm connector is fully seated. A lot of times the cknnector is broken, and when the motor tilts back when the trans is removed, it couldve tugged it a little bit, and maybe its not making a good connection.

107stroker

Reaction score
Ok I did the brown wire on the passenger battery and checked all trans con actions. No crank at all. Did the key on till the lock light stopped blinking and no change.

sootie

Reaction score
Ok I did the brown wire on the passenger battery and checked all trans con actions. No crank at all. Did the key on till the lock light stopped blinking and no change.
Wierd that it wouldn't crank that way. That wire is the trigger on the stater solenoid. How much battery voltage do you have?

107stroker

Reaction score
Wierd that it wouldn't crank that way. That wire is the trigger on the stater solenoid. How much battery voltage do you have?

sorry...this did turn the engine over but no start. I have noticed that the fuel pump isnt on either. when I turn the key on I hear a couple things happen but not the normal clicking and buzzing things going on.

107stroker

Reaction score

One thing I did do when I disconnected the batteries was to put the positive and neg cables together w a zip tie per the builder instruction. they stayed this way for the 5 hour job. Do you think i wiped out the ecm or fried it?:cursing:

sootie

Reaction score
If it helps any, i have a 6.4 pcm here with a mild H&S tune flashed on it. From a job 3 truck. Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping...

107stroker

Reaction score
If it helps any, i have a 6.4 pcm here with a mild H&S tune flashed on it. From a job 3 truck. Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping...

Sootie I may take you up on that. I've got it on my trailer and off to the local dealer in the morning. I have a good relationship w them because of my truck accessory business, do almost daily business with them. So I guess I will know more in the morning. I had SCT try a reboot tune and that didnt do anything different. Its just locked out all communication from what I can guess. :fustrate::fustrate:

107stroker

Reaction score
Update....It was sorta my fault with not being able to flash back to stock. I had installed the BD diesel tap shifter and it came w a pass thru cable for the obd port. It clearly stated in the installation sheet NOT to tune or run diagnostics thru this port. It would support my edge insight but thats it. So I had it hidden up behind the dash and forgot about it, and thats why my truck wouldnt allow me to communicate w the ecm. Anyway, I unplugged everything and the truck accepted my tune. To my surprise the truck started.

And now my new problem...when the truck started , the gear indicator showed it to be in park which it was, but the other indicators would randomly flicker. no particular sequence. When it flickered the R light , the reverse lights would flicker too. CRAZY:wtf:

Tried to drive it and as soon as it shifted to second it just stumbled bad....the gear indicators were blinking and I turned right back around and pulled back into my shop. Has anyone ever experienced this??? Thanks in advance

107stroker

Reaction score
I have triple checked all three connections on the trans and even cleaned them and snapped together again. The grounds are new. The new trans had new sensors. Should I take my old sensors and put them in this new one?? After I attempted to drive it I pulled the code p174E...

This is crazy, all I wanted was a new transmission