Project Second Strike-----my REDEMPTION build

sootie

Reaction score
get rid of the tap shifter completely. A: there is absolutely no need for them on a compounded 6.4 B: they are more hassle than they are worth.

107stroker

Reaction score
Are you sure the shift linkage is adjusted properly?

All i did was snap the linkage off the old unit and push it back on the new one. Is there an adjustment process? Looked to be spring loaded and maybe self adjusted initially.

107stroker

Reaction score
get rid of the tap shifter completely. A: there is absolutely no need for them on a compounded 6.4 B: they are more hassle than they are worth.

I removed it today just to rule it out. Still no change. I cant get my video to go to my account or you could see the flickering. PM me a cell and i could text it to get your opinion if thats ok. Thanks again guys:fustrate::fustrate:

107stroker

Reaction score
From what I'm finding its pointing to the range sensor. Builder said he has never heard of one of these failing immediately. Hasnt really done many replacements on the stock units just in for repair. How does the fan harness relate to trans issues.

boggerr

Reaction score
If you still have the range sensor from your old trans try swapping it to the new trans. I have seen non OEM electronics cause some strange problems.
Also on the drivers side inner wheel well there are three connectors, make sure they are snapped together good.

107stroker

Reaction score
If you still have the range sensor from your old trans try swapping it to the new trans. I have seen non OEM electronics cause some strange problems.
Also on the drivers side inner wheel well there are three connectors, make sure they are snapped together good.

Yea thats prob my next move. May try tomorrow if I get time. Bout burnt out with this issue.

107stroker

Reaction score
Got a quick question... Where the heck is the tcm.? I cant find it. Was gonna check the plugs.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Thank u sir. Gonna try that and get it scanned today to see what's up. I believe it's the range sensor but from what I read they don't go out a lot.

Your range sensor connector locking tab isnt broken, is it? Or the weather pack didnt stay in the old trans, lose the pin lock piece of plastic, or pull on the wires to disconnect it from the old trans? Seen quite a few pin fit/broken wires right at the connector. Havent seen really any range sensors on a 5r have issues.

107stroker

Reaction score
Your range sensor connector locking tab isnt broken, is it? Or the weather pack didnt stay in the old trans, lose the pin lock piece of plastic, or pull on the wires to disconnect it from the old trans? Seen quite a few pin fit/broken wires right at the connector. Havent seen really any range sensors on a 5r have issues.

I only disconnected three harnesses. One above/near the shifter arm...one at rear top....and the bolt in harness on right side. I guess I'm gonna drop the pan and visually check the range sensor plugs and harness . My BUDDY didn't show w the IDS scanner so I didn't get anything done to it after work today. Can the IDS check the tcm module?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, ids should be able to pull codes on it, see if it needs updated, etc. I have only seen them damaged when aftermarket programming goes haywire, so you could have an issue there. And my bad, i had my head firmly planted in my ass, there isnt a range sensor connector... The bolt for the main plug wa tight, and connector fully seated though, right?

107stroker

Reaction score
Yeah, ids should be able to pull codes on it, see if it needs updated, etc. I have only seen them damaged when aftermarket programming goes haywire, so you could have an issue there. And my bad, i had my head firmly planted in my ass, there isnt a range sensor connector... The bolt for the main plug wa tight, and connector fully seated though, right?

Yea the bolt in plug went in smooth. And snugged up. I may have screwed myself when I tried to flash back to stock and my tap shifter plugged in w the piggy back OBD 2 port. And I tried to flash thru that port and it clearly stated in the owners manual to never flash or scan thru it. It only supports a monitor like my edge insight.

sootie

Reaction score
This is why I would have paid someone to install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds to me the trans is installed fine. Plus he likely learned a bunch. The tapshifter is probably what screwed him over. Kudos for him for doing it himself. Sorry you are too lazy to do things like that.

C2tuck

Reaction score
Wow. Lazy? Really?

No. It’s called not having the headache. Not bashing anyone for doing there own work. I’m sure he’d much rather be driving his truck right about now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needen$77

Reaction score
Hey hey.. pulling a trans suck.. unless i missing somthing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

107stroker

Reaction score
Pulling and installing the trans went smooth as pie. I had a brain fart when I initially tried to flash the truck with an additional OBD II port in place. (I knew better) The next problem was the internal range sensor was bad and created its own little problem as they do. That part was replaced by the trans builder and all is good. Problems arise sometimes and may make it seem not worth my time but my son (14 year old) and I learned and finished the swap. I would do another swap no questions asked. Not a big deal. Thanks for all the input and I will keep this thread going with the build. :toast:

gwunter

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, but is it up and running? Last post makes it sound like it is, but doesn't specifically say.

Latest posts

Members online