Vibrations

calidies

Reaction score
Got what seems like a rhythmic vibration coming from the gas pedal, but also can feel on passenger side. Rhythmic in the sense that I can almost anticipate when it is going to come. Generally above the 45mph range. Buddy of mine thinks it's from cupped tires. Any ideas?

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever

cpadolf3

Reaction score
Got what seems like a rhythmic vibration coming from the gas pedal, but also can feel on passenger side. Rhythmic in the sense that I can almost anticipate when it is going to come. Generally above the 45mph range. Buddy of mine thinks it's from cupped tires. Any ideas?

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever
Try a rotation and see if it changes anything. Next bet would be a universal joint in the driveshaft

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

calidies

Reaction score
Try a rotation and see if it changes anything. Next bet would be a universal joint in the driveshaft

So you think the rotation first? Kind of on a budget

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever

cpadolf3

Reaction score
So you think the rotation first? Kind of on a budget

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever
I know exactly how you feel haha. Definitely start with a tire rotation. You can do it yourself. Just go front to back, don't cross them. What kind of tires are you running? If there's cupping that's indicative of an alignment problem, which could be worn suspension parts and that's worth looking into sooner rather than later. How many miles does the truck have? And do you know the maintenance history?

calidies

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel haha. Definitely start with a tire rotation. You can do it yourself. Just go front to back, don't cross them. What kind of tires are you running? If there's cupping that's indicative of an alignment problem, which could be worn suspension parts and that's worth looking into sooner rather than later. How many miles does the truck have? And do you know the maintenance history?

I wanna say lt265 75r16. And there's definitely cupping and the truck has 138xxx and yeah I have a book of receipts somewhere. Inherited the truck from my dad about a year ago.

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever

cpadolf3

Reaction score
I wanna say lt265 75r16. And there's definitely cupping and the truck has 138xxx and yeah I have a book of receipts somewhere. Inherited the truck from my dad about a year ago.

97 f250 7.3 xclb E4OD
no experience whatsoever
I meant are they mud tires, all terrain, or street tires?

psduser1

Reaction score

Cupping generally indicates worn out shocks.

cpadolf3

Reaction score
Cupping generally indicates worn out shocks.
Could also be improper air pressure, bad ball joints, etc. Less likely to be tie rods or anything because that would cause improper toe, leading to uneven wearing on one side or the other

psduser1

Reaction score
I assumed air pressure was good, lol.
Ball joints could cause cupping, but they also cause wear on the inner or outer side of the tire, similar to toe problems.
That, and most people have no idea how quickly shocks wear, especially on these trucks.

cpadolf3

Reaction score
I assumed air pressure was good, lol.
Ball joints could cause cupping, but they also cause wear on the inner or outer side of the tire, similar to toe problems.
That, and most people have no idea how quickly shocks wear, especially on these trucks.
Jumping up and down on the front and back of the truck might cause squeaking which could indicate bad shocks. Other than that and rude quality, no good way to tell their condition without replacing them. I just recently had some used mud tires put on my duramax that were cupped real bad so I put them on the back and did a few burnouts and it corrected it pretty quickly and eliminated all vibration. If only the front two on his truck are worn, there might still be time for redemption on the tires. Definitely need to fix the cause though

Countrycar

Reaction score
I like to use this procedure as a good starting point for vibrations problems;
You can do as you like here, but I don't recommend rotating the tires first, because if you've managed to lose a tire weight you haven't solved the issue but just moved it to the rear. Just my opinion on this. And this is just me here. If I'm experiencing vibrations problems, it's going to my tire guy regardless for re-balancing and closer tire inspection.
1. With the truck on a flat surface, install tire blocks so that the truck can't roll forward or backwards. Put the truck in neutral, crawl under the truck. With your hands, grab the DL and move the DL back and forth at both in front of and behind the Center support bearing, taking note of any play in the Ujoints, and up and down noting excessive play in the center support bearing and the slip yoke as well.
If they look ok, look for signs of a missing DL weight here as well.
2. Check tires for problems, bulges cut's separations & missing weights.
3. If everything checks out good to this point, I'll take my truck in and have my tires re-balanced. Loosing a tire weight will throw them off real quick, causing rotational vibrations at varying speeds. Let the tire guy know your having vibration issues. He'll take note and check the tires for defects while re-balancing the tires. Also, ask him to show you the difference in all 4 tires, as far as how out of balance they were. Usually the place you buy your tires will do all of this for free.
If you do have to remove your DL for further repairs, U joints, Center bearing replacement etc.

*** Before you remove your Drive shafts***
MARK YOUR DRIVE LINE FIRST BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT. IT MUST GO BACK IN EXACTLY THE WAY YOU REMOVED IT, FLANGE TO FLANGE. TAKING SOME PICTURES OF THE DL FIRST NEVER HURTS.
Hopefully this helps you get it solved.

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
In step one I forgot to mention. After Chocking the wheels, put the transmission is Neutral to remove any bind. You can now set the PB, then continue checking the DL system.
I might have skipped some steps, but I think most of us on here know how to do this process to check your DL for play and or bad ujoints. Might be a good time to grease the spline too.
:gethim:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online