Head Gaskets

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Any time a valve contacts a piston, valve bends.

Billy T.
[email protected]

it does? I bent 8 pushrods in whitey. when I had it "rebuilt" the first time, all 8 pistons had valve stamps in them.. valves where all still straight... couple guides where sticky is all... 7.3 pistons and valves are perfectly flat and inline with each other...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Got her fired up today, couldn't believe how easily it fired up after all this time and with no smoke. Can't give it a test drive yet, flushing the cooling system right now and have the rear suspension torn apart right now. So far so good though. Before it would instantly build extreme pressure in the overflow after running for just a couple minutes, right now it's building normal pressure while I'm running it flushing the system. So keeping my fingers crossed lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Truck is running well so far. No puking coolant, no overheating, no over pressurizing the over flow tank, and no white exhaust. Heat is working well and truck seams pretty peppy even though I've been too skeerd to try it in anything but the daily driver tune LOL.

Arisley

Reaction score
I have heard that it takes a while for head gaskets to seat really good on a 7.3. Good call in taking it easy for a while.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I have heard that it takes a while for head gaskets to seat really good on a 7.3. Good call in taking it easy for a while.

Yeah I definitely don't wanna be pulling the heads again any time soon lol.

Glad she's back up and running. You're a 1%'er For sure. Head gaskets are such a rare problem on a 7 3!

Yeah I definitely didn't find much in the way of head gasket issues when I was searching when it first happened. I'm sure the neighbors are just thrilled it's running again lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely don't wanna be pulling the heads again any time soon lol.

Yeah I definitely didn't find much in the way of head gasket issues when I was searching when it first happened. I'm sure the neighbors are just thrilled it's running again lol.
take it easy with lots of heat cycles.. like less then 25lbs of boost. studs help a ton but better safe then sorry.

uncool

Reaction score
35 psi on Victor gaskets and ARP's after 15 minutes of run time, the 1 mile drive down the dirt road on a totally fresh rebuild.

Motor is fine, transmission is hating life, 250k on the factory trans.

If it is gonna go, is gonna go.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
35 psi on Victor gaskets and ARP's after 15 minutes of run time, the 1 mile drive down the dirt road on a totally fresh rebuild.

Motor is fine, transmission is hating life, 250k on the factory trans.

If it is gonna go, is gonna go.
i had 8k on my supposedly fresh rebuild and many many heat cycles with the first 5k staying under 30 psi and the rest around or under 38psi and they both popped at once one night.... blame that on the rebuild when put together or is that just dumb luck?

greyford1979

Reaction score
i had 8k on my supposedly fresh rebuild and many many heat cycles with the first 5k staying under 30 psi and the rest around or under 38psi and they both popped at once one night.... blame that on the rebuild when put together or is that just dumb luck?

That's my type of luck right there LOL.

dsberman94

Reaction score

That was your **** engine builder I believe. No way to sugar coat that.

uncool

Reaction score

Hard to say,

Built many a motor, took to the dyno and broke in and tuned. Then in the car/truck/boat right to the track/street/lake.

How many miles do people have on new 7.3's off the lot that got chipped within the first hundred miles? A lot of those trucks are still around today with no issues.

Yours maybe the guy had a bad day during assembly.

I just don't buy the whole assemble the motor then drive it easy for the first 20000 miles under 20 psi so the gaskets can take a set, then crank it up.

Members online

No members online now.