2017 Egr solution

F

Floorboard79

figured out how to upload photos, since i cant figure out the youtube thing apparently

overall it was alot easier than i expected. The passenger side coolant drain is a pain to get opened, drivers side is cake and it seems the drivers side drains the whole system anyway.

I re-used a factory coolant "T" and turned it around, tus eliminating the need for the barbed brass fitting that comes in the kit, and it fits and looks factory this way.

All the bolts are easy to get at, cooler came right out, other than having to work off a ladder it was a pleasure, Almost as easy as my last cummins 6.7.

Bought some 50/50 m coolant just in case, but thus far i still have a little left over from the drain, even after a few hot/cold cycles.

had a de-rate at first, with no CEL, full power thru 1st gear then no more than 8 psi boost. On a hunch i un plugged the re-located egt sensor and she was back to normal. never did get it to throw any codes.

Attachments

• IMG_6407.JPG
    IMG_6407.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6409.JPG
    IMG_6409.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6398.jpg
    IMG_6398.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:

Mts678

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Coming from a 7.3 I've never dealt with this stuff before. So it certainly will help me with my installation. My goodies should be arriving later this week, can't wait to get it installed. So you unplugged the egt sensor and it ran fine?

F

Floorboard79

No prolem at all, i had not seen 2017 instructions anywhere on the net so i wanted to post up what i could to help others.

Yes
I installed the probe from the egr supply pipe into the block off plate as you would with afternarket tunes to read egt's but then i remmebered this is a factory tune and that will not read like it will with an aftermarket tune. *** probe would not fit threads

I would suggest unplugging your egr stuff and driving awhile before you remove the cooler. Some people are apparently having issues throwing codes with egr with these export tunes. Part of the reason i am so curious what application exactly this tune is used for is I would like to find out what emissions parts this application does and does not have

Also you cannot un plug the throttle butterfly valve as with the old trucks with this tune. You will get a cel and de rate. Ask me how i know

sootie

Reaction score
The export tune is likely for export 6.7s-hence the name. They are sold in other countries with no emission laws. Same reason Rudy's can make an egr bypass with Ford oem parts...

F

Floorboard79

Everything i have been able to find set up for export " are low HP like 300 330 ish, this particular tune makes a good bit more more than the 440 trucks as another member here showed us with dyno proof,
thats the part that has me guessing? Maybe a ford engineer did us a favor and leaked something that isnt sold to the public

I have seen that egr bypass and the pictures floating around on the net of it installed like the attached. Also i attached pictures of a mexico truck, that has egr but no ***... I look forward to seeing the 2017 versions since they did away with the two hoses that run into the top of the cooler. Im sure it is very similar to aftermarket kits.

I thought maybe it was a tune like listed in this link for fire and emergency services like someone mentioned in another thread, but my understanding is this exemption package is only to keep the trucks from going into limp mode, not sure if that means they can run without the systems in place, plus they only go to 300hp

Ambulance Prep Package
(available with 300-hp
Power Stroke
®
V8 Turbo Diesel engine) includes special
EPA calibration for emergency vehicles, 357-amp dual
heavy-duty alternators, and three 900 CCA batteries for
2,700 CCA total (n/a on Tractor)

Fire/Rescue Prep Package
(available with 300-hp
Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel engine) includes special
EPA calibration for emergency vehicles, 357-amp dual
heavy-duty alternators, and three 900 CCA batteries for
2,700 CCA total

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2017/17_650_750_Online.pdf

does anyone have a link to an export ford brochure?

Attachments

• 4-P7220255.jpg
    4-P7220255.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 2-P7220258.jpg
    2-P7220258.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 3-P7220259.jpg
    3-P7220259.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 127
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 121

Mts678

Reaction score
Will do man. So is mpg and power still about the same as before deletion?

F

Floorboard79

Mpg about the same as before, noticably more power, especially pulling decent weight
i think the timing on this tune is more emissions driven

The power is noticably better, has low boost fuel limiting then hits realy hard and barks tires in first gear on wot from start. There was a guy on here who dynoed his back to back showed about 30 hp gain but like 100 ft lbs and i believe it

Losing the throttle response off the line is frustrating but everything else makes it worth it

Defintely ready for customs tunes and trans tuning

Yesterdays fillup was 15.4 lots of city some tow and some highway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykj0Swm_xVM

lilthumper

Reaction score
I finally put my "xxxxpipe" on and ezylink. I obviously am off-road and only use it at the farm. That being said, I decided to have a go with my sons 5.9 cummins before and after. I would say it may be a 30hp, 60 ftlbs difference. There is no extra fueling, no transmission or convertor advantages, but I did hang with the slightly modded 2005 cummins slightly better. From a dig, or slow roll, cummins jumps out 2 or 3 trucks, from a 40 roll, the 17 is hanging neck and neck all the way through. ( this is a 5.9 with aftermarket injectors, fuel system, transmission, TST powermax CR. TST turned to zero. I as well, would love some simple transmission tunes to come out.. in order to lock the converter. But all in all, I am happy. Once again, this happened at my farm. Off road situation only.

F

Floorboard79

i think i would agree, trans tuning is the biggest thing im looking forward to,

Let me know how your mpg is on the farm? mine has stayed about the same doing laps on my test track. Im thinking there is some improvement to be had with timing map changes

Mts678

Reaction score
My off-road race truck just lost its weight last night. Definitely have to unplug that EGT sensor from the relocation attachment area or it'll be very laggy if you don't. I will report back with mpg difference after a few tanks this week. So glad to be able here that turbo finally! Definitely has some more pop than before the weight loss program went into effect

Mts678

Reaction score
77ede1b220d7879793572f5a4dee804c.jpg
0fe2905313fea5f339a0e2f345162fee.jpg

Being an off-road truck and all, what are y'all doing about these connectors and sensors? Seems like some of them you can't just disconnect. I was scared to pull any harder on the electrical connection I felt like I'd break it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

Floorboard79

I took the whole assembly off the frame and taped and tied up the connector, both of them

Latest posts

Members online