1997 7.3 Does not seem to be making boost

Chris2590

Reaction score
Even if my manifolds were leaking on my truck I wouldn't touch them just because of how rusty they are lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Well I took off the EBP hose and it was crazy clogged. Tried cleaning it with no luck but picking a new one up tomorrow!

I tried to test for boost leaks and found nothing....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
EBP is only used on automatic trucks to help the PCM shift the transmission. On manual trucks it does nothing.

superpsd

Reaction score
It's been brought up before. I was not talking of the EBPV as although that would be an issue it would be obvious or should be obvious the EBPV is closed. In that case you can unplug the solenoid to the EBPV solenoid and no more working EBPV or unplug the Intake tempature sensor which also will disable the EBPV (actually it will close for about 3-5seconds upon startup and then never actuate again). I was talking about fueling and timing which is responsible for the effect on spooling a turbo up. And the EBP has no effect on the parameters in the calibration that have anything to do with fueling and timing. Also just for information sake the PCM is mostly looking at EOT and RPM as when to operate the valve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Roger that. Sorry I don't spend much time on the forums anymore, but have been working on these things for about 15 years. Your initial response had my antenna up. Occasionally I find facebook mechanics spouting off nonsense.

Nice setup BTW :thumbup:

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Alright so after replacing the EPB hose, coolant sensor, oil pressure sensor, and removing all the turbo rubber hose I am making 11lbs of boost

And if anyone was wondering since I never got an answer a Bluetooth OBD reader will show boost!

Chris2590

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds about right if the truck is a manual. Good deal man glad to hear it.

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds about right if the truck is a manual. Good deal man glad to hear it.

It's an automatic, so do you think this is higher than expected? I'm not 100% sure everything that has been done to this 7.3 but it has an aftermarket intake and I THINK the turbo has been rebuilt

Chris2590

Reaction score
It's an automatic, so do you think this is higher than expected? I'm not 100% sure everything that has been done to this 7.3 but it has an aftermarket intake and I THINK the turbo has been rebuilt

I'm really not sure. Mine hasn't been stock for a while now. Do a search and see what people are getting for stock boost psi with an auto

Chris2590

Reaction score
I'm really not sure. Mine hasn't been stock for a while now. Do a search and see what people are getting for stock boost psi with an auto

If you were getting say 5psi at wot that would be bad but 16 psi I wouldn't worry about that too much.

superpsd

Reaction score
That pressure is normal for a stock truck. Turbo boost will vary depending on load. Put a trailer behind the truck and the boost will be higher or pulling a steep hill. Different Axle ratios also change how it will be loaded etc ecetera. It also varies depending on the alltitude your at. Torque Pro is a great app bit will not read DTCs or do tests. Download Car Gauge Pro to use along With Torque. Car Gauge Pro will read and clear DTCs and run Buzz and CCT tests.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.