Question about main bearing bolts

psdguy95

Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor and i came across a set of ARP main bolts for a good deal. My question is if i put the ARP's in do i have to align bore the mains or can i run them at factory torque specs?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
As long as your crank is straight you should be ok. If you have a chance to line bore it that be good. I believe 125 ft lbs would work. I would use plastiguage to make sure the bearings are flush and flat

psdguy95

Reaction score
I'm not seeing any abnormal wear on any of my bearings so i'm sure its straight. Its going to be balanced soon here anyway so i can always have it checked. So i should be ok running them at ARP specs then? I just wanted to be sure before i messed something up.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just use plenty of the ARP assembly lube. Again, use plastigauge to make sure tolerances are in check

psdguy95

Reaction score
Well the international manuals don't say anything about it and every where I've searched on the internet does t give a clear answer either. I measured my main caps with the arp studs installed and they distort about .0005". I don't have my crank back from the machine shop yet so I don't know how much that's going to effect my oil clearance yet.

golfer

Reaction score
Main studs distort the block enough that it'll need line bored/honed.

Has nothing to do with your crank being straight or not...

Latest posts

Members online