coolant

casarano

Reaction score
OK my head is spinning !! with all the information and opinions so here it goes,
i have recently purchased a 1999 f 350 dually 7.3 low miles one owner nice truck,
the date of manufacture is 2/98 i'm learning about cavitation . it has green coolant in it now and i dont want to deal with test strips or additives , im pretty sure the previouse owner professionally serviced this truck, should i flush and switch to elc? , international said to use rottella purple or blue but not red? ford says to use their gold ? some say to use synthetic ? i am absolutely lost , type of oil is another question but ill wait for another forum

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
Welcome to the army!

As for the coolant. Just run ford gold. Thats what I run in my 99 and I've never had an issue. Ford has formulated it with the additives it needs to prevent all that from what I've been told. But they do recommend to change it at what ever the service interval is.

As for oil. Everybody has their own opinion on what the best is. Personally I run Amsoil full synthetic in everything. With a Amsoil secondary 2 micron filter.

casarano

Reaction score
thanks for your response ,
my concern is the date of manufacture 2/98
ford says gold is safe for late 99s how do i know if it is safe for early 99s

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
Seems a lot of people like the elc coolant.
Personally I run the fleet charge in my OBS. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ged-fully-formulated-antifreeze-coolant-1-gal
Already has the additive.
While you're at it, a thorough flush is a good idea. And a coolant filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

^^ This

Defiantly a flush. A filter is always nice insurance.

As for the build date, to my knowledge the only difference between early and late 99's is the turbo and intake spider. Engine blocks and cooling system changed very little throughout the years. Elc will work in all of them. Hope this helps

rockycreek

Reaction score
Supposedly they changed something with seals or injector cups in the 99 split and the early engines aren't compatible with ELC. I personally would prefer to run ELC, but don't really want to take a chance on leaks, so I stick with green and use the additive. Plenty of people using ELC in the early engines and I haven't heard of any issues. Honestly, the additive and test strips really aren't that difficult.

dmd

Reaction score
As for oil, it is a toss up. Respected mechanics tell me that the only engines they see
with major lubrication issues are ones that run all of the specialty oils out there. They
all recommend just running name brand regular oil at regular intervals. This is for
the 7.3's and before.. I dont know about the newer engines.

I have ran Rotella and Delo. My truck 7.3 uses up several quarts of Rotella between 5000
mile changes, with Delo it uses one quart in the same interval. I have stuck with Delo
with no oil related issues in 250k.

Latest posts

Members online