Something Broke. Extreme Vibration Under Throttle

ToMang07

Reaction score
So Thursday plowing I overheated the transmission. Didn't puke, but when i noticed it I parked it for an hour and let it cool. (Actual temp unknown since GS gauge is broke.) Did pop the "overheated" code.

Fast forward to yesterday, driving to work unloaded truck was driving normal without issues, went to pass somebody, and all of a sudden it started vibrating, bad, gets worse when the torque converter locks in, and it is a low stall TC. (1300 IIRC)

Transmission was "rebuilt" but a bunch of jackasses who supposedly did a mild build on it, ie upgraded clutch packs, shift kit, etc. My brothers F150 is back at the same shop for the 4th time getting it's 3rd transmission, been there for MONTHS, and I have 0 confidence in this shop to fix or honor their warranty, especially not in a speedy manor.

Ran an injector CCT and it never really runs it, pops #1 and stops. Ran the KOER test and 2,7 and 8 popped. When running a buzz test everything sounds normal. I forgot to write codes down (in mostly a rage) and will have to look them up on my laptop tomorrow or tonight.

Idle is VERY rough, whole truck shakes like a cammed out big block, sounds almost like a dead cylinder on the drivers side.

Is this more likely an injector issue or transmission? The vibration smooths out around 2k RPMs, and gets very bad at low RPMs, (Idle-1500)

Shootingstar

Reaction score
Have you checked for excessive blow by? Sounds more like you lost compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
Actually sound like you've got an injector down. Seems like maybe unrelated to the trans overheating.

I actually hope that's all, (hoping it didn't scour the cylinder) because a $300 injector is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the transmission.

Izzybird

Reaction score
Does it struggle to even get up to 2k rpms? I just bought a OBS that has a couple injectors that only fire after it's warms up and it runs kind of crappy till then but not too bad. I went to move it last week and now it loses an entire bank, pretty violent shaking and to the floor will only build about 2k rpms.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Does it struggle to even get up to 2k rpms? I just bought a OBS that has a couple injectors that only fire after it's warms up and it runs kind of crappy till then but not too bad. I went to move it last week and now it loses an entire bank, pretty violent shaking and to the floor will only build about 2k rpms.

It's only bad at low RPM, above 2k it's not nearly as noticeable. Cold or warm, make no difference. And it has plenty or power, after you get the RPMs up, will still accelerate pretty quick (for a 7.3L) just a bad vibration.

Injectors have ~155k miles, btw.

Izzybird

Reaction score
Does sound injector related, you probably have been looking for a excuse to pull valve covers anyway..

ToMang07

Reaction score
Like a injector unplugged

Didn't consider that. Guess time to go digging.

Does sound injector related, you probably have been looking for a excuse to pull valve covers anyway..

Yay...Guess I should be glad they are new. I'll have to pull it into the garage tomorrow or Tues and start digging. Thank God I have a topside creeper and a garage.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Don't be jelly....

Seriously tho....worth every penny.
dude.. I want a topside creeper way bad..

almost sounds like a UVCH is dangling, or a bent push rod, is there a noticeable thump out of the intake or exhaust pipe?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

ToMang07

Reaction score
dude.. I want a topside creeper way bad..

almost sounds like a UVCH is dangling, or a bent push rod, is there a noticeable thump out of the intake or exhaust pipe?

live life full throttle

No, just a slight "miss" sound, but it only gets bad with a load, specifically when the TC locks. I'll shoot a couple videos.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No, just a slight "miss" sound, but it only gets bad with a load, specifically when the TC locks. I'll shoot a couple videos.
does it sound like this at idle? you got out and listened to it both exhaust and intake?

live life full throttle

ToMang07

Reaction score
does it sound like this at idle? you got out and listened to it both exhaust and intake?

live life full throttle

Got out but never actually went to the exhaust, didn't hear anything unusual, only really hear the miss at idle on the driver's side as it is. I'll check tho.

Latest posts

Members online