Shifting seem odd

Twistedsteel

Reaction score
This is my first Ford so maybe it's normal, but it seems to me that the tranny seems to hold gears a little long. I'm speaking on the low end not the high. I drive a lot in the hills and it seems to hold 4 and 5 gears when it should be down shifting. It will lug almost down to 1000 rpm, I gradually press the throttle and eventually will kick down but it seems delayed. I find myself manually tapping down the gear. I dunno probably something I need to get the feel for or get used to. Do any of you feel the same? I don't feel there is anything wrong with my truck, i think it's just the way it is.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Dunno about the 17 in the mountains yet but my 14 has always felt spot on. One thing you can do if you want it to downshift sooner and hold gears longer in the mountains, is turn on your tow/haul.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
That's just the way they are sadly. Factory they seem to lug more and keep the truck in high gear instead of down shifting. Usually aftermarket tuning fixes that lugging issue.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
My 16 and 17 both do it. I kind of trained my self to put my foot in it a little more and surprisingly it hasn't had any effect on fuel mileage. I've always driven diesels like there was an egg under my foot, but for some reason these 6.7 are tuned so you have to stomp on it like a 16 year old to get it to do anything.

I much prefer the pedal feel on my '98 dodge farm truck. Compared to that the 6.7 feel like it has no fuel down low. Come to think of it, it probably doesn't due to emissions.

F

Floorboard79

I like the way my 17' holds gears down low and let some roll into the throttle and pull, apparently I am in the minority, Both unloaded and loaded
I tuned my 12' 6.7 cummins to do this as well. But over about 1/3 throttle the truck downshifts

Last edited by a moderator:

Twistedsteel

Reaction score
Yeah I kinda figured it would be something I'd just have to get used to. If tuning can fix it that would be great. No complaint on overall power, when it gets to goin she pulls hard.

Latest posts

Members online