Resistors for LED lighting

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Vancouver Island B.C. / Grande Prairie, Alberta
So Ive been told I need to run resistors for LED lights to work properly (or at all in my case) but I want to swap every exterior light I have (except headlights) on my 1995 7.3L to LEDs including all my marker lights. Do I need one resister for every bulb or is there an easier cheaper way?

Skanj0

Reaction score
So Ive been told I need to run resistors for LED lights to work properly (or at all in my case) but I want to swap every exterior light I have (except headlights) on my 1995 7.3L to LEDs including all my marker lights. Do I need one resister for every bulb or is there an easier cheaper way?

Yes, there is a better/easier way. Turn signals are the only lights that won't operate correctly when changing to LEDs. Instead of adding resistors in front of every turn signal bulb, get a flasher designed for LED bulbs. Most Napa auto parts will have them, or they can be ordered online.

NHFD175

Reaction score
I had resistors in line for the LED bulbs I installed in brake and front turn. They lasted a week and melted. I went to my federated auto parts and got a new LED rated flasher fir 18 bucks. Works flawless and no hyper flash. I lost 40 on the resistors that failed

2000 Excursion

Ford3544

Reaction score
What brand of bulds are you guys using? I am wanting to start changing out my bulbs to leds. Does any one offer a full replacement kit per specific vehicle?

Thanks

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
I ordered a dual function led bulb for my front turn signals so it will be solid amber and then flash amber when i signal. Well when i plugged them in they don't light up at all and i have the load resistor in there. A while back when i got led reverse bulbs i stuck one in the front to see what it would look like and it lit up fine. Any ideas?

CUZICAN

Reaction score
I have the same freakin' problem on my 2011... I'll try that LED flasher.

The flasher in the newer trucks is BCM controlled, there isn't a flasher module anymore. The dealerahip can reprogram the computer to not read the bulb out, this is what I was gonna do, until I found out the local dealership wanted $100 just to swap this setting in the computer.

Rule12b

Reaction score
The way I got around the flasher problem was to splice the LED front turn signals into my mirror turn signal wires on each side. The voltage is so low that it works perfectly. A pain to reach the wire, but no resistors needed. Nada. It just works.

Latest posts

Members online