Too much smoke, or as the young'uns say... coal

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal, I drive my truck around in the low setting, because I'm sick of seeing a cloud everytime I feed it the juice. I know the smoke/power issue can be a double edge sword sometimes, but here is my question.

My black truck has 160cc/stock nozzle injectors, stock turbo, HV/HF IDM, Efuel, adrenaline HPOP, tymar intake and 5" exhaust. A few other things but they don't play a role in this. Tuning is PHP canned tunes I got through rosewood diesel. All of these mods were done years ago, like 08-09. I would really like to run in my higher settings, but I'd like less of a cloud.The 140hp setting is my highest, and the truck runs great, and actually cleans up good. I'd like less smoke on the low end though. The 60hp setting is my lowest, which is where i keep it normally, and it never smokes, but the performance is blah

I have discussed and debated the d66 or similar, on here even, but I've not found enough reason to yank my stocker which is doing fine. It will happen one day, but its not even something on my mind currently.

I've been wanting to get a reburn from someone else, but just haven't gotten around to it. Does anyone have any good suggestions for tuning, or a setup that burns a little cleaner? The power levels in my chip are 60, 100 and 140. 100 is ok, but I like it on 60 for $$$ reasons. I'm considering something in the 70-80 range and a good tow tune, because also towing and managing EGTs on this truck SUCKS. I don't tow with it much anymore, but it's nice to know its there.

I have a full CAC to go on, I know that will help a little, but not tons.

There is a delicate balance between power/smoke on these older trucks, and I'd love to find it. I had considered at one point taking it back to stock and being done with it. I never acted like a dick, but I know I have looked like one numerous times. I'm just over the whole thing. I'm of the 'less is more' mentality.

In not as many words, I want to scoot along with less evidence.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
My girls truck has 160s, t500 and a riffraff billet wheel and we never take it off gearhead hot tune. Barely ever smokes, even on a very hard take off its a light haze for a second. Look into gearhead

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If you are still running canned tunes, you need to get your tunes fixed first. Canned tunes with larger injectors will smoke. Custom tunes for the injector size you are running will likely clear up or at least help with the issue.

We can get you custom tunes for your TS chip if you are interested.

zilla68

Reaction score
gearhead here also
got them reburning and see they shipped out today.

no limit tunes smoked like CRAZY for me, gearhead not near as much, they are redoing my chip and should be good to go when I get it back.

on another note, shipped it Monday usps, they got them wed, got a call today and shipping notification tonite, not too many places can say that these days!

Reaction score
thanks for the input, gearhead has been recommended before just when I was looking to reburn, but its good to hear they have some cleaned up tunes. Mine was supposedly written for the mods I have, I just refer to it as canned because the truck has not been live tuned

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
Might be worth trying a 1.0 housing or billet compressor wheel. I did both and it cleaned up my hot tune very well and gave me a huge bump in power down low but I am still running stock injectors. O and I'm also running php tunes. You could also just give them a call and see if they'll reburn those tunes. That might fix alot since the tunes are 6 or so years old.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It's all tuning. My custom tony wildman tunes smoke pretty good on the low end. But that's only on my hottest tune. All the other tunes, almost no smoke. That being said, PHP tunes smoke alot... They're also from Georgia (real close to where I grew up)... They don't have altitude tuning experience.

Latest posts

Members online