Im stuck

jngreen

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. got that part off. but now im really stuck. im trying to do ball joints and i cant get the spindle off. i unbolted it and even knocked out the studs. i have beat the crap out of it that im worried about destroying it. am i correct on taking off the spindle? and how do you separate the knuckle?

im gonna search the info web but any help with the dana 50 please go ahead
thanks

I usually take a good flat chisel and sledgehammer and try to pry the spindle off by driving the chisel around the outer edge of the spindle. This usually works if you take your time and have patience. You can destroy the dust shield pretty easily doing it this way. I have also seen someone smack directly on the middle of the spindle with a sledge. His theory was that it is okay to dimple it where the bearings don't ride. I have to admit that it looks terrible but was a much quicker way to get it off. I think I tried it but used a 2x4 to take the impact.

taterthedog

Reaction score
I always kept a few spare spindle nuts in my tool box. One for each size spindle. Screw that over the threads and hit on that instead of damaging the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I never never put hammer or chisel marks on anything I work on. It is a challenge sometimes. Comes from working on antiques from time to time I guess. Just a matter of pride. The D60 under the 96 came from the east coast. Getting the spindles off was tough. Soaking from the back with penetrating oil, using a hardwood block or plastic block and small sledge, and driving the spindle out of the knuckle from the back of the knuckle with a brass drift (with tie rod off and knuckle turned all the way) combined to work with no tool marks. After cleaning and painting all of the components (no paint on the spindle flange or bore areas) I used never seize to be sure next time was a breeze. I just recently discovered spray cosmolene and I would use it next time. I pulled the spindles after 10 years and no fight (granted no salt around here either)

Latest posts

Members online