KC Turbos 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Review

Snake

Reaction score
Not too long ago, I started a thread on another forum asking for recommendations on an aftermarket turbo and the overwhelming feedback was to take a hard look at the Stage 1.5 from KC Turbos. So I did.

Link to KC Turbos 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Turbo ====> 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Turbo - Complete Turbos - 6.0L Powerstroke - Products

I bought my truck brand new / bone stock and I’ve always loved modding it, but I held off on buying an aftermarket turbo because I wasn’t able to find exactly what I was looking for:

1. An “all around” variable geometry turbo (VGT) capable of making more power than stock while also being able to tow better than stock
2. Direct drop-in. I have no desire to find or pay for a new pedestal, clamps, or pipes
3. Spools as well as stock or better. I can change my driving style to accommodate a laggy turbo, but I don’t want to
4. Works flawlessly with stock injectors without revising my aftermarket tune. Let’s face it, it sucks when you get things dialed in and lose the best parts because another mod / upgrade requires a re-write
5. Ability to handle larger injectors in the future. Everyone loves more power, right?
6. Better internals. After 10+ years and 175,000 miles of ownership, I’m tired of cleaning stuck vanes. And billet is sexy
7. The whistle must be neighbor, old lady, and small child friendly. I had a 03 turbo for a couple of years. Nuff said
8. A trustworthy, professional company that offers great products and customer service. Charlie (KC Turbos, for those wondering) doesn’t know this, but I watched his products, conduct, and customer feedback for a while before making my decision to buy a Stage 1.5 from him

My initial impression upon delivery was that the turbo was incredibly well packaged. The only other company I’ve seen take as much care with their shipments is Bulletproof Diesel, which is saying A LOT. Expectedly, there was zero damage and all necessary parts for the installation were included.

The turbo itself is a work of art. Add the polished compressor wheel option and it’s absolutely stunning. Seriously. My diesel tech friends were forwarding pictures of it to each other. Huge pic that doesn't do it justice

IMG_2813_zpsthat30ha.jpg

KC Turbos advertises the Stage 1.5 as “100% drop in (no modifications required),” and this was certainly my experience. In fact, the total time to remove the old turbo and install the new one was only 1.5 hours. Granted, this was an experienced tech but he was working without rushing…..and also without a compressor in the FL heat. His feedback? It was one of the easiest installations he’s ever done. And he’s literally completed thousands.

So it showed up when it was supposed to, without being damaged, had all the hardware, and was easy to install. Big deal, right? Those of you who have been modding for any time know the answer is “HELL YEAH THAT’S A BIG DEAL!” No parts showing up in Rubbermaid totes with pillows for packing material here.

And it gets better. I drove the truck around “normally” without making any adjustments to my aftermarket tune from TSD to give everything a chance to adjust to the new part before really testing things out. The truck was immediately drivable and the only indication that the Stage 1.5 was installed was a more pronounced whistle. Not nearly as bad as when I had the 2003 10 vane turbo on, and nowhere close to as bad as a Powermax. But definitely more whistle than the OEM 2005 turbo it replaced. It was more than I expected, but very tolerable and I barely notice it now after just a few hundred miles.

I was impressed before I ever made it out of my neighborhood, and continued to be after getting out on the road. There wasn’t any of the surging or lag I expected with an aftermarket turbo, and it was quickly apparent that this truly is an awesome replacement. It pulls harder across the entire rpm range, and really shines between 1500-3200 rpms. I’m hitting 34-35 psi max boost before things settle down and hold around 30 lbs. If you just stand on the skinny pedal from a dig, it spools slightly slower than stock……but who does that? If you roll into it and drive your 6.0 like you’re supposed to, the Stage 1.5 outshines the stock turbo in every way.
The real fun for me is on the highway: at 2,000 rpms in OD with the torque converter locked, the Stage 1.5 builds boost instantly and cars quickly disappear in my mirrors. No downshifting, and no smoke. I remember loading TSD’s tunes and thinking my 9,000 lb truck felt nimble (at least accelerating), and the Stage 1.5 gave me that feeling all over again. And I haven’t worked with TSD to dial things in yet.

Worth mentioning but not worrying about: my EGT’s are about 50* higher than with the OEM turbo when cruising / accelerating, but my maximum EGT’s are 100-150* lower than before after a run. For reference, I was seeing 700* at 65 mph and now it’s holding around 750*. Temps would peak at 1400* on a hard pull and now they peak around 1300*.

My expectations were really high, and the Stage 1.5 has met or exceeded all of them. Highly, highly recommend Charlie (KC Turbos) and his products.

Details on the relevant mods

Stock intercooler and exhaust manifolds
Stock fuel pump, HPOP, and injectors
Airaid CAI
No Limit hot and cold side pipes with Riff Raff boots
Rudy’s Diesel Y-pipe with HD bellows
GoGo Diesel ported intake with EGR delete
MBRP 4” turbo back (muffler only)
ARP studs with OEM gaskets
BPD 58v FICM
Last but certainly not least, a custom tune from TSD with early TC lockup

Weighs 9k lbs and rolls on 37” tires with 4.30 gears

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I too decided to go w/ Charlie for similar reasons. He answered all my questions, had a good rep, excellent online demeanor.

After some calls and emails I pulled the trigger and it was at my door just a few days later. Mine had a small dent on the compressor housing as the local delivery companies, UPS, FedEx and USPS all play soccer w/ anything boxed. I've had small boxes from ebay be destroyed and torn and my Ford Hubs arrived in boxes that were litterally falling apart. Wires and other items were falling out.
My KC was boxed pretty d@mn solid but nothing makes it past these yokels.

I installed mine w/ no real issue. I had two weird hiccups but both times I called during the weekend AT NIGHT and Charlie answered his phone and/or returned my call right away. Each time he sent me a replacement out right away and was adamant about making things right.

I recently was worried about the "whistle" and thought it was the turbo. We traded lots of emails, vids and pics and he lead me to the uppipes and sho-nuff that was the prob! He even offered to give everything a once over and update mine to the new style cover AND ship it back free of charge the next day. HTF is that for follow up service :rockon:

Everything OP says is pretty spot on. In stock PCM trim it drives better than stock and I've towed w/ it (stock pcm) and no hiccup, no surge and pulled solid regardless if I was leaving a stop light, cruising at 75 on the flats and it maintained speed and even passed w/o any issue even in the rolling hills of NM.

I second the KC recommendation!

Last edited:

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
This turbo with the smaller housing is WAY easier to install than the factory turbo. The smaller diameter of the compressor cover make for a lot more room maneuvering the turbo in there.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I started a thread on another forum asking for recommendations on an aftermarket turbo and the overwhelming feedback was to take a hard look at the Stage 1.5 from KC Turbos. So I did.

Link to KC Turbos 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Turbo ====> 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Turbo - Complete Turbos - 6.0L Powerstroke - Products

I bought my truck brand new / bone stock and I’ve always loved modding it, but I held off on buying an aftermarket turbo because I wasn’t able to find exactly what I was looking for:

1. An “all around” variable geometry turbo (VGT) capable of making more power than stock while also being able to tow better than stock
2. Direct drop-in. I have no desire to find or pay for a new pedestal, clamps, or pipes
3. Spools as well as stock or better. I can change my driving style to accommodate a laggy turbo, but I don’t want to
4. Works flawlessly with stock injectors without revising my aftermarket tune. Let’s face it, it sucks when you get things dialed in and lose the best parts because another mod / upgrade requires a re-write
5. Ability to handle larger injectors in the future. Everyone loves more power, right?
6. Better internals. After 10+ years and 175,000 miles of ownership, I’m tired of cleaning stuck vanes. And billet is sexy
7. The whistle must be neighbor, old lady, and small child friendly. I had a 03 turbo for a couple of years. Nuff said
8. A trustworthy, professional company that offers great products and customer service. Charlie (KC Turbos, for those wondering) doesn’t know this, but I watched his products, conduct, and customer feedback for a while before making my decision to buy a Stage 1.5 from him

My initial impression upon delivery was that the turbo was incredibly well packaged. The only other company I’ve seen take as much care with their shipments is Bulletproof Diesel, which is saying A LOT. Expectedly, there was zero damage and all necessary parts for the installation were included.

The turbo itself is a work of art. Add the polished compressor wheel option and it’s absolutely stunning. Seriously. My diesel tech friends were forwarding pictures of it to each other. Huge pic that doesn't do it justice

IMG_2813_zpsthat30ha.jpg

KC Turbos advertises the Stage 1.5 as “100% drop in (no modifications required),” and this was certainly my experience. In fact, the total time to remove the old turbo and install the new one was only 1.5 hours. Granted, this was an experienced tech but he was working without rushing…..and also without a compressor in the FL heat. His feedback? It was one of the easiest installations he’s ever done. And he’s literally completed thousands.

So it showed up when it was supposed to, without being damaged, had all the hardware, and was easy to install. Big deal, right? Those of you who have been modding for any time know the answer is “HELL YEAH THAT’S A BIG DEAL!” No parts showing up in Rubbermaid totes with pillows for packing material here.

And it gets better. I drove the truck around “normally” without making any adjustments to my aftermarket tune from TSD to give everything a chance to adjust to the new part before really testing things out. The truck was immediately drivable and the only indication that the Stage 1.5 was installed was a more pronounced whistle. Not nearly as bad as when I had the 2003 10 vane turbo on, and nowhere close to as bad as a Powermax. But definitely more whistle than the OEM 2005 turbo it replaced. It was more than I expected, but very tolerable and I barely notice it now after just a few hundred miles.

I was impressed before I ever made it out of my neighborhood, and continued to be after getting out on the road. There wasn’t any of the surging or lag I expected with an aftermarket turbo, and it was quickly apparent that this truly is an awesome replacement. It pulls harder across the entire rpm range, and really shines between 1500-3200 rpms. I’m hitting 34-35 psi max boost before things settle down and hold around 30 lbs. If you just stand on the skinny pedal from a dig, it spools slightly slower than stock……but who does that? If you roll into it and drive your 6.0 like you’re supposed to, the Stage 1.5 outshines the stock turbo in every way.
The real fun for me is on the highway: at 2,000 rpms in OD with the torque converter locked, the Stage 1.5 builds boost instantly and cars quickly disappear in my mirrors. No downshifting, and no smoke. I remember loading TSD’s tunes and thinking my 9,000 lb truck felt nimble (at least accelerating), and the Stage 1.5 gave me that feeling all over again. And I haven’t worked with TSD to dial things in yet.

Worth mentioning but not worrying about: my EGT’s are about 50* higher than with the OEM turbo when cruising / accelerating, but my maximum EGT’s are 100-150* lower than before after a run. For reference, I was seeing 700* at 65 mph and now it’s holding around 750*. Temps would peak at 1400* on a hard pull and now they peak around 1300*.

My expectations were really high, and the Stage 1.5 has met or exceeded all of them. Highly, highly recommend Charlie (KC Turbos) and his products.

Details on the relevant mods

Stock intercooler and exhaust manifolds
Stock fuel pump, HPOP, and injectors
Airaid CAI
No Limit hot and cold side pipes with Riff Raff boots
Rudy’s Diesel Y-pipe with HD bellows
GoGo Diesel ported intake with EGR delete
MBRP 4” turbo back (muffler only)
ARP studs with OEM gaskets
BPD 58v FICM
Last but certainly not least, a custom tune from TSD with early TC lockup

Weighs 9k lbs and rolls on 37” tires with 4.30 gears

you need an intake dude !!

6speedsd

Reaction score
I have the 1.5 as well, but mine doesn't have the "bullet hole" compressor cover. Guess that change came after I bought mine. Regardless...everything said above is spot on. Night and day over a stock charger, and Charlie is top notch in customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6.0xcursion

Reaction score
Whats the difference between a KC stg1.5 and a regular powermax. I can see the wheel & cover difference but anything other then that??

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Whats the difference between a KC stg1.5 and a regular powermax. I can see the wheel & cover difference but anything other then that??

They are very different turbos. The only thing they share is a similar dimensions on the compressor wheel.

The biggest difference is on the turbine side. The KC stage 1.5 uses the larger 13 blade turbine out of the 2004.5 turbos. It has the smaller 2004 billet vanes and a stainless steel unison ring to avoid sticking. It comes with an upgraded 360 degree thrust bearing. It has a slim nose 11 blade single plane billet wheel that spools up SUPER fast. The upgraded .72ar compressor cover with the drill surge ring helps the turbo to flow more air without surging down low.

The KC stage 1.5 was not meant to compete against the powermax in a HP battle. It was made to outperform the powermax down low, Spool faster tow with ease, still work with existing custom turbo tunes, and be quieter than the pmax.

Last edited:

Snake

Reaction score
I like it more every time I drive. So much so that I left the Procharged Boss in the garage to run errands today.

Snake

Reaction score
I like it more every time I drive. So much so that I left the Procharged Boss in the garage to run errands today.