might be buying a 91 7.3 idi, needs a trans

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
It has a E40D, what can I put in for a manual, will a ZF5 bolt in?

YESSSSSSS!

Sorry, I've been waiting for someone to need one. I'm switching to an older auto so I would love to get rid of mine, it has 30 since rebuild and I have the papers. $500 It's a 95 psd and comes with the adapter if you need it.

PM me.

Racer X

Reaction score
YESSSSSSS!

Sorry, I've been waiting for someone to need one. I'm switching to an older auto so I would love to get rid of mine, it has 30 since rebuild and I have the papers. $500 It's a 95 psd and comes with the adapter if you need it.

PM me.

LOL Sounds like your going to a C6?

An E4OD or 4R100 can be built to hold incredible horsepower and still give you the benefits of overdrive. The main issues with IDI E4ODs is they are weaker designs that need more custom work to upgrade and the electronic control system sensor for throttle position is on the injection pump (FIPL sensor). That makes it prone to signal interference from magnetic fields resulting in inaccurate throttle signal to the PCM. W/O an accurate FIPL reading, the E4OD either won't get enough EPC operating pressure for the actual driving conditions and will slip or the PCM will go into limp mode, sending too much EPC pressure resulting in very hard shifts and eventual burn up if driven long enough in limp mode. Both conditions will result eventually in a burnt E4OD.

For those that want an automatic with overdrive in their IDI diesel truck, there are ways to eliminate the problems. One is to try the revised FIPL sensor which is more accurate, keep your wiring and connectors clean and in good condition as well as maintaining the tachometer in working condition. Another is to use a PCS controller for the transmission. This solution eliminates all electronic control system problems that affect the E4OD on IDI trucks.

If that awesome build thread for IDI's will make extra hp and is not a laughing matter, someone pm me a link please. We have a torque converter for turbo chargered IDI's that is overkill and will hold much more hp than a turbo alone can add.
Thanks,
Racer

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Was.... truck got scrapped and engine sold. Still have the ZF5 and a 90 e4od both 2wd.
I've set my sights on a different level of competition with different truck. This one will be built off the grid.

Latest posts

Members online