2017 6.7 Rod Differences Found

Reaction score
So apparently RCD posted a picture of rod differences in the 2017 rods. The rod on the left is apparently the new 2017 rod, and the right rod is the 2011-2016, and some of earlier 2017 rods. No other info on when they started production of the new rod or if it's stronger/weaker. Will be interesting to see if anyone else knew about this or has any more insight towards the rod differences and when they started putting these rods in the 2017s. They look stronger, but who knows. Anyone seen this yet?

Attachments

• IMG_7651.jpg
    IMG_7651.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 608

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i would be interested to see if its an actual job 2 change or a 2017 change.

Reaction score
Also, apparently a guy that works for the company has been commenting on the Facebook thread (he sets up the powdered metal presses for the new rods on the left in the picture) that makes the rods for Ford said these are stronger rods. That's why this company was asked to make them in the first place cause Ford wanted a stronger made rod. He said their company has been making them for about a year now for the 6.7s and fully went into all 6.7s mid model year 2017s. So possibly job 2 built 2017s may have these rods if that's what's considered mid model year but no clue at this point. Also sounds like it could be hit or miss too with these rods in the 2017s prior to mid year builds when it was fully implemented. Job 2 build dates I read starting Feb 20, 2017. My truck is a job 2 truck so will definitely be interested to find out more info on these rods and specific build dates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i would be interested to see if its an actual job 2 change or a 2017 change.

I completely agree. Jared from Midwest was saying that they've been building these 2017 engines and have not come across these new rods yet. Although I'm not sure if he's saying they've torn down a 2017 yet cause of a failure or if it's a reference to the new long block replacements they get from Ford. Maybe he can jump in and let us know if they've had a 2017 come apart yet there.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I completely agree. Jared from Midwest was saying that they've been building these 2017 engines and have not come across these new rods yet. Although I'm not sure if he's saying they've torn down a 2017 yet cause of a failure or if it's a reference to the new long block replacements they get from Ford. Maybe he can jump in and let us know if they've had a 2017 come apart yet there.

very few of these motors have been torn down, maybe jared can chime in , but i haven't heard of anybody tearing down a 2017 motor yet.

Reaction score
very few of these motors have been torn down, maybe jared can chime in , but i haven't heard of anybody tearing down a 2017 motor yet.

Hopefully he can chime in. Do you remember a while ago when Ford announce The new HP and torque ratings that it was mentioned that they will have different rods all together in the 2017s to help accommodate for a larger wrist pin? I've found some places mentioning this still and wonder if they have had the new rod design all along.

08Monster

Reaction score
It would be sweet if they were a direct replacement for the 11-16 rods for an affordable cost!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
It would be sweet if they were a direct replacement for the 11-16 rods for an affordable cost!

Why bother? The cost and time of opening the motor up to replace rods at that point would just make more sense to put a set of billet Carillos or Wagler rods in at that point

Reaction score
I got you covered
5019c958025cca51884b7603ef28d8a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made need that kit too if youre giving them out LOL

On another note, I didnt realize that the picture was as small as it was with the rod comparisons earlier cause I uploaded from my phone. But here is a larger picture of the one I posted originally. Also, that guy who makes them commented again and said its basically a 6.0 PSD rod (their company made those as well as 7.3 and 6.4 rods). If you look at the link here from Elite where you can buy the 6.0 rod for the 6.7, they look extremely similar in design and size as the comparison picture posted of the new 2017 rod design. If these are the same strength as the 6.0 rods....this should greatly help make some more durable power out of these 6.7s.

https://www.elitedieselengineering....ing-Rod-Set-of-8/?fref=gc&dti=526956614066298

Attachments

• 6.7 Rods.jpg
    6.7 Rods.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
Why bother? The cost and time of opening the motor up to replace rods at that point would just make more sense to put a set of billet Carillos or Wagler rods in at that point
Those carillos and waglers are very spendy. And overkill for most.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Those carillos and waglers are very spendy. And overkill for most.

If you're opening up your motor for replacement or upgrade or building a motor you're already looking at big $.... that was my point

swinky

Reaction score
If they're as strong as a 6.0 rod that really wouldn't help much. You rich folks 6.7s make so much damn torque so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monotalonawd

Reaction score
Hopefully he can chime in. Do you remember a while ago when Ford announce The new HP and torque ratings that it was mentioned that they will have different rods all together in the 2017s to help accommodate for a larger wrist pin? I've found some places mentioning this still and wonder if they have had the new rod design all along.

I remember reading about the larger wrist pin long before i bought my '17 last year. So i would think that ford made the switch right at the beginning of the aluminum body. Woudn't make sense to upgrade the old style rods to a larger wrist pin then make another larger rod with the same upgraded wrist pin... There is a greater probability that some late '16s got some of those newer rods!! At least this is what i would like to think :p

Reaction score
I remember reading about the larger wrist pin long before i bought my '17 last year. So i would think that ford made the switch right at the beginning of the aluminum body. Woudn't make sense to upgrade the old style rods to a larger wrist pin then make another larger rod with the same upgraded wrist pin... There is a greater probability that some late '16s got some of those newer rods!! At least this is what i would like to think :p

Glad someone else also remembers this!! It doesnt make sense to me why all 2017s wouldnt have the different rod design if they knew they were increasing the HP/torque. Still dont have confirmation on if anyone with a factory installed 17 engine has been torn down yet or if a lot of people are just ordering "17" long blocks/short blocks and receiving the old rods in them. Hopefully we can get clarification on this.

Latest posts

Members online