2019 engine temps while towing

kleake

Reaction score
Curious what everyone is seeing for engine & transmission temps while towing. First trip with my new to me 2019 towing 33' 5th wheel and boat behind (~14k total) and it is running hotter than my 2008 did. Granted, outside air temps were about 95-98 degrees, but I was seeing engine temps around 205-210 at 65mph and there is one hill that is about a 4% grade for about a half a mile, and the engine went to about 227 in that short time. Transmission temps were also around the 225ish range most of the time while on the highway. My old 2008 would stay right around 200-205, and climb to about 220 on that same grade, but the transmission always seemed to stay below 200. Is this normal on these newer trucks? Everything seemed to handle it just fine, but i'm concerned if this is how it will react in the mountains.

kleake

Reaction score
Normal unfortunately. Get the spe thermostat and it will be a huge improvement

Thank you, I will definitely look into that.

So if this is normal, what is considered too hot? The rate it was climbing compared to my 2008, I would bet it wouldn't take long to be in the 235-240 range which would definitely be an issue in the higher altitudes.

For example, I just got back from a trip to Silverton (9000ft) pulling a 10k gooseneck in my 2008 6.4, and was able to maintain speeds pretty easily and only eased off a couple of times to keep temps below 225. Tons of power left, just had to watch the temps to keep them under control. Water boils about 15 degrees cooler at that altitude, so getting any hotter would cause major issues. The 6.4 is far from stock, with tons of power, where the 6.7 is 100% stock, with less power, which I would have thought would run cooler than it is.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Ya I don't care at all for the higher temps ford deems normal. I know a few guys who tried the mishimoto thermostat and barley saw any temp drops. The spe opens alot lower temps and should work awesome with a trailer on there. With a 17+ the trans running cooler is alot nicer too. I haven't towed heavy for a while but my trucks both have a decent amount of extra power that I use continuously and I seldom see oil hit 190+ where without the thermostat it would be 225+ and the trucks were making less hp

kleake

Reaction score
Good to know. I will definitely be looking into it because although it may survive at those higher temps, i sure don't like it. I do plan to add some goodies to make it breathe easier. I'm still getting used to the mellow driving of this compared to the hot rod feel of the 6.4. lol

sootie

Reaction score
why are we fixing what isnt broken? Nothing at all alarming about the temps being mentioned.

kleake

Reaction score
why are we fixing what isnt broken? Nothing at all alarming about the temps being mentioned.

Call me old school, but any time I see engine temps above 220, I start watching closely. At 230, I am getting highly concerned, if it keeps climbing from there i'm looking for a spot to pull over and let it cool down.

I just got this 2019 truck and was towing the first trip (about 30 miles total) and was on what I would call a decent "hill" in my area and saw the temps rise rather quickly going up this hill. It wasn't alarming, but got me concerned because towing in the CO mountains always builds more heat than locally here. With my previous 2008 6.4, I would never see over 210-215 on this hill, but in CO I would have to reduce speed to keep it under 230. So if a similar temperature climb happens on the 6.7, I would be pushing the 240 range up in CO, and the speed at which it climbed was much faster too. I know water boils at a lower temp at altitude as well. So this is what makes me wonder.

So what is a "safe" range on these newer 6.7's and at what point should I be concerned?

sootie

Reaction score
not the same risk with these as previous models. 230+ on a six four will melt all kinds of stuff. 250 on a six seven is warm but not unsafe for short bursts..

kleake

Reaction score
250, holy wow!!! That just goes against my brain! haha Definitely good to know they are safe up into that range, but wouldn't that be above the boil point when up in the mountains? The system is under pressure, but even my RZR started boiling antifreeze at 225 while at 11000ft.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.