Anyone had A/C performance problems after installing an intercooler?

chaselee

Reaction score
Most of my AC components are new and it still doesn't perform like it used to. Me and my mechanic buddy were just kicking around the idea of this since most trucks that come intercooled have the AC condenser in front of the intercooler.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Most of my AC components are new and it still doesn't perform like it used to. Me and my mechanic buddy were just kicking around the idea of this since most trucks that come intercooled have the AC condenser in front of the intercooler.
Is the condenser in front?

live life full throttle

Kowboy

Reaction score
I had issues also when I first added an intercooler to my OBS. The air passing across the intercooler will be warmer then the ambient air when under boost. In order for the AC to work properly you need cooler air or more airflow across the condenser. I did not want to relocate the condenser, so I installed a SD water pump pully ( slightly smaller so it spins faster ) and a 6.0 fan. This moves quite a bit more air then the stock fan.
If you are still using the stock fan your high pressure cutout may also be cycling the compressor and lowering your cooling output.
After the fan and pully the cooling is as good as it was when new.
One thing to check is that your radiator is clear on the air side and not restricting flow. I have owned this truck for 25+ years and did the intercooler in 2016, I pulled the radiator due to all the buildup on the fins. Have you looked at the radiator behind the condenser?

chaselee

Reaction score
I had issues also when I first added an intercooler to my OBS. The air passing across the intercooler will be warmer then the ambient air when under boost. In order for the AC to work properly you need cooler air or more airflow across the condenser. I did not want to relocate the condenser, so I installed a SD water pump pully ( slightly smaller so it spins faster ) and a 6.0 fan. This moves quite a bit more air then the stock fan.
If you are still using the stock fan your high pressure cutout may also be cycling the compressor and lowering your cooling output.
After the fan and pully the cooling is as good as it was when new.
One thing to check is that your radiator is clear on the air side and not restricting flow. I have owned this truck for 25+ years and did the intercooler in 2016, I pulled the radiator due to all the buildup on the fins. Have you looked at the radiator behind the condenser?

When you say SD pulley, do you mean a 7.3 SD or what year? Also by what you said..I'm assuming that the 6.0 fan will just bolt right up? Seemed to me like they were quite a bit bigger. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
When you say SD pulley, do you mean a 7.3 SD or what year? Also by what you said..I'm assuming that the 6.0 fan will just bolt right up? Seemed to me like they were quite a bit bigger. Thanks for the info.

Any year SD pulley will work. The 6.0 fan will bolt on the the obs clutch.

Did you replace the evaporator core?

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I have the same problem. If i bump the idle to 1200 sitting still it seems to work correctly.

Otherwise once we get moving even just a little the air is ICE cold.

Have looked for other options as well. The SD pully might be a good solution.

There just isn't room to put the condenser out front on an OBS.
Would love to put a electric fan but there is no room.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have the same problem. If i bump the idle to 1200 sitting still it seems to work correctly.

Put ball valves in your heater core lines to shut off the flow of hot coolant.

live life full throttle

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Put ball valves in your heater core lines to shut off the flow of hot coolant.

live life full throttle

Already have that.

I ordered a 6.0 fan, but then all the sudden I am reading about them coming apart. So not sure if I will install it or not.

My AC is livable but certainly can be better. The intercooler absolutely affected cooling at idle.

Maybe there is a more efficient condenser option. Really hasn't bothered me enough to play with it more.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Already have that.

I ordered a 6.0 fan, but then all the sudden I am reading about them coming apart. So not sure if I will install it or not.

My AC is livable but certainly can be better. The intercooler absolutely affected cooling at idle.

Maybe there is a more efficient condenser option. Really hasn't bothered me enough to play with it more.
Right on

live life full throttle

Kowboy

Reaction score
Already have that.

Tiha,
I have had my 6.0 fan on for years. I would be interested to know if these fans that came apart were on a 6.0 or a used fan installed on a OBS? Do you know?

My Dad has a 6.0 and they will run up to a higher RPM then the 7.3 (Stock) so I was not concerned about the smaller pulley causing an issue with the fan speed. I did do the math and it was not a big jump, I just don't recall what it was, as it was so long ago. Also I don't tend to run mine up over 2500 RPM very often.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Tiha,
I have had my 6.0 fan on for years. I would be interested to know if these fans that came apart were on a 6.0 or a used fan installed on a OBS? Do you know?

I don't know and I have those same questions.

Ordered a brand new motorcraft, it showed up. Just not sure about installing yet.

I tried to read a bunch but I wonder if some people are afraid to admit the real reason for the failure or if they just don't know.

See lots of people report seeing cracks on the blades, also reading that is normal and they should be inspected from time to time.

Reading one thread on FB everything was brand new and it came apart.

But I wonder, did they get the shroud in properly?
What about a rusted out radiator support? that would allow it to move and catch the shroud.
Maybe someone didn't tighten the bolts correctly?

I wish we knew, I only use my truck for vacations and road trips, don't want to end up stranded 1000 miles from home.

Kowboy

Reaction score
I don't know and I have those same questions.

Ordered a brand new motorcraft, it showed up. Just not sure about installing yet.

I tried to read a bunch but I wonder if some people are afraid to admit the real reason for the failure or if they just don't know.

See lots of people report seeing cracks on the blades, also reading that is normal and they should be inspected from time to time.

Reading one thread on FB everything was brand new and it came apart.

But I wonder, did they get the shroud in properly?
What about a rusted out radiator support? that would allow it to move and catch the shroud.
Maybe someone didn't tighten the bolts correctly?

I wish we knew, I only use my truck for vacations and road trips, don't want to end up stranded 1000 miles from home.

I understand your concern. My dads truck is a 05 with over 300K and still the original fan.

I hit an elk a little over three years ago about three hours from home. I was pulling a trailer in the mountains of Idaho at night, going about 60 when I saw them come up on the road. I missed two of them but hit the third, I had slowed down to about 25 on impact. It was not a good feeling, took out the intercooler, and radiator, and pushed the radiator into the fan, I had the old style brass and copper radiator, 4 row it went 3 rows deep and about 12 across if I remember correctly. Thankfully no one was hurt, and no painted parts of the truck were damaged. Looked bad but was a relatively easy fix. I looked all over that fan and could not determine where it contacted the radiator. There were no cracks or worn down parts, they are quite tough. I am still running it today. I do check it every year just in case something shows up, it still looks great though. I say this just to let you know that they are quite durable. Makes me wonder why the others failed. They may have been used, or aftermarket Dorman or something.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score

Maybe something like this would work for you.
Freed up tons of room out front

abc88103b3c4b38bbc8f5c91c2f9aba9.jpg

Latest posts

Members online