‘13 F350 Turning Issue

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Posting this for a friend who has a ‘13 F350 CCLB 4x4 with about 180K miles and every so often, when he leaves the house first thing in the morning, the truck will want to “hold” on to the turn. He says that he has to force the wheel out of the turn. Says that this may happen once or a few times before it goes away and has always happened when cold. Says the dealership has replaced a few rods and ends, including an ABS sensor thinking it is a braking problem but it keeps coming back. Seems like they are starting to shotgun the parts at it now.

I read that some have experienced similar issues when the front axle u-joints have gone bad. I passed that on to him, but he hasn’t made it back in to get checked out yet.

Any thoughts or experiences with something similar? Thank you in advance.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Posting this for a friend who has a ‘13 F350 CCLB 4x4 with about 180K miles and every so often, when he leaves the house first thing in the morning, the truck will want to “hold” on to the turn. He says that he has to force the wheel out of the turn. Says that this may happen once or a few times before it goes away and has always happened when cold. Says the dealership has replaced a few rods and ends, including an ABS sensor thinking it is a braking problem but it keeps coming back. Seems like they are starting to shotgun the parts at it now.

I read that some have experienced similar issues when the front axle u-joints have gone bad. I passed that on to him, but he hasn’t made it back in to get checked out yet.

Any thoughts or experiences with something similar? Thank you in advance.

First thing I thought was axle U-joint, before I read you had suggested it. Ask him if it does it in 4x4. When he says "no," tell him to grease the axle U-joints. Best way is to grease them, run in 4x4 for a few miles, then grease them again.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thank you. It might be a while before he can get off the road first thing in the morning to try it out in 4x4, but I will suggest it. My first thought was the steering box because it only showed up when cold, but then I read about the joints. He said he had the power steering fluid flushed and it didn’t change.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Thank you. It might be a while before he can get off the road first thing in the morning to try it out in 4x4, but I will suggest it. My first thought was the steering box because it only showed up when cold, but then I read about the joints. He said he had the power steering fluid flushed and it didn’t change.

Don't even need to get off the road. Next time it happens, just put it in 4x4 and see if it immediately goes away. Short distance isn't going to hurt it. Depending on the options on the truck, could also just lock the hubs in. If it immediately goes away, you'll know exactly what it is. Really shouldn't even need a mile to figure it out.

When mine was acting like that, I greased them, drove 20 miles to work and back with the hubs locked in, then greased them again as soon as I got home. Haven't given me a problem since.

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thank you. I will run it past him and see if it fixes the issue. I appreciate your help.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ball joints replaced?

Axle ujoints are greaseable in these newer trucks. Regardless of use, they should get greased every oci...

live life full throttle

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
So he greased the joints and the issue remains. Do you guys have any other possible solutions, by chance?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Following up. The issue happened once right after they were greased, but not since. Problem solved! It only cost him around $1500 in replacement parts while troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Members online