Is a 4" exhaust worth it?

bordo380

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a new turbo back exhaust laying around that I can get for 200 bucks.
I've researched that it may not be worth the trouble.
Who has installed the 4" DP with out trouble?

As of now it's stock with what looks like a couple of big glass packs in place of muffler and CAT.

Mods :TS Chip, S&B, DieselSite BRV.

Thank you.

bordo380

Reaction score
Only worth it if it's new, otherwise just buy new buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is new.

I guess I didn't ask my question correctly.
I also meant is it worth it performance wise and is it going to kick my ass getting that DP around my firewall. :)

Bgdiesel

Reaction score
It is new.

I guess I didn't ask my question correctly.
I also meant is it worth it performance wise and is it going to kick my ass getting that DP around my firewall. :)

Ok and if it is an excursion like the section we are in, Then no it won't be hardly all, it is very simple and no clearance issues whatsoever on excursions or superduty's with 4"DP, I like to remove the trans crossmember personally and put a spin jack under the trans, for ease of stock DP removal. But not necessary you could just saw saw the stock one out and slip the new 2 piece one easily just pay attention to clamp position

Bgdiesel

Reaction score
Is a 4" exhaust worth it?

Ok and if it is an excursion like the section we are in, Then no it won't be hardly all, it is very simple and no clearance issues whatsoever on excursions or superduty's with 4"DP, I like to remove the trans crossmember personally and put a spin jack under the trans, for ease of stock DP removal. But not necessary you could just saw saw the stock one out and slip the new 2 piece one easily just pay attention to clamp position

Hard at all*

bordo380

Reaction score

Ok glad to hear it. Thanks so much.
And the performance gain? Is it worth my time?
I think our stock pipe is 3 or 3.5.

I am hoping some excursion guys chime in that's done it and let me know if the straight pipe is too loud as well.

Bgdiesel

Reaction score
Ok glad to hear it. Thanks so much.
And the performance gain? Is it worth my time?
I think our stock pipe is 3 or 3.5.

I am hoping some excursion guys chime in that's done it and let me know if the straight pipe is too loud as well.

One of my vehicles is an Excursion that is 4" straight pipe with a 6" tip I like it, but it is moderately loud from the outside, not too bad inside. most of my customers are fine with a straight pipe, I put mufflers on let's say 5 fords out of what seems like a thousand kits we've installed

ghohouston

Reaction score
A 4" downpipe isn't some ungodly task on a super duty or Excursion. If this was an obs, then yes, you would have your work cut out for you. Cut the stock downpipe out with a sawzall, and you'll have it out in no time. It really doesn't take much time to remove the factory exhaust, iirc, you may have to cut the stock exhaust where it goes over the rear axle as well.

Jomax

Reaction score
You won't feel ANY performance gains. You'll see a minimal EGT drop. And in an excursion, you'll just make it louder inside.

I honestly think the stock exhaust is just fine for a 7.3 that is just chipped.

bordo380

Reaction score
Thank you Jomax that's what I thought as well and needed to hear it from a reputable source.

Thank you BG and Ghohouston as well. Sounds like I can handle the task but I won't be doing it unless I get real bored one day. Lol.
It will still happen but it might be when I upgrade the turbo. It's just not a priority.

Thanks again.

bordo380

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the help. It's great to hear what everyone has.

So I need help for next mod.
Do I get the WW2 or upgrade the housing? I'm reading mixed reviews on the ATS.

Jomax

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the help. It's great to hear what everyone has.

So I need help for next mod.
Do I get the WW2 or upgrade the housing? I'm reading mixed reviews on the ATS.

I'd personally do ported housing, Dennis at strictly diesel sells a good one. Best part is you don't have to remove the turbo. I loved mine.

C_Hallbert

Reaction score
You won't feel ANY performance gains. You'll see a minimal EGT drop. And in an excursion, you'll just make it louder inside.

I honestly think the stock exhaust is just fine for a 7.3 that is just chipped.

After getting an Edge Juice with Attitude installed on my Wife's 2000 Excursion 7.3L 4x4, I immediately discovered EGTs approaching 1300 Deg. F. when going up hills etc. So, I had a 4" SS Exhaust installed with a Low Resistance Muffler and (aside from the fact that it is now louder in the cab) the EGTs rarely reach 900 Deg. F. I believe that the factory exhaust added unnecessary obstruction to flow......resulting in higher EGTs. That's just my opinion based on casual observation. Just saying.

sootie

Reaction score
After getting an Edge Juice with Attitude installed on my Wife's 2000 Excursion 7.3L 4x4, I immediately discovered EGTs approaching 1300 Deg. F. when going up hills etc. So, I had a 4" SS Exhaust installed with a Low Resistance Muffler and (aside from the fact that it is now louder in the cab) the EGTs rarely reach 900 Deg. F. I believe that the factory exhaust added unnecessary obstruction to flow......resulting in higher EGTs. That's just my opinion based on casual observation. Just saying.

The chit tuning you are running doesnt help your truck any either....

C_Hallbert

Reaction score
I use my Chip Tuner basically as a monitor. Predominantly, it remains on Factory Street Level 1. I have used Level 2 when towing a fairly heavy 23 foot boat and trailer. I'm 70 y.o. and retired and I don't put the hammer down. The EGT and Turbo data has helped me troubleshoot a both exhaust and MAP Sensor problems.

dmd

Reaction score
Pipes are not the problem, it is the muffler. Swap that out with a free flowing one and
you are 80% there... I noticed a very large performance difference when getting that
stock muffler out.

As one other mentioned, the X will be louder inside without a muffler.. i.e. drone.

Jomax

Reaction score
Pipes are not the problem, it is the muffler. Swap that out with a free flowing one and
you are 80% there... I noticed a very large performance difference when getting that
stock muffler out.

As one other mentioned, the X will be louder inside without a muffler.. i.e. drone.

That's one thing I didn't want on my parents X drone. I left the stock exhaust alone. Installed a DP tuner, one setting 80hp. No gauges. AIS intake and called it good. Unless you're towing all the time. I didn't care to do anything gauges wise.