No start, everything as it should, head scratcher

BigBad151

Reaction score
Hey folks

So I have a 2000 f450 no start condition.
Icp= 2200 psi
Ipr= 34%
Rpms= 135-140
Voltage= 10.8 while cranking
Fuel psi = 90
Wts= operational
Buzz test= Good

New fuel tank, new pickup screens and foot, new fuel line, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, plunger removed.

Rebuilt turbo, new pedestal Orings, new UVCH, new GPR, new batteries.

The oil pressure takes a couple seconds to register on the dash, while waiting for that the ICP is 0. Once the dash registers psi, the icp begins to climb. Until it reaches 16,000kpa, then IPR drops from 64 to 34. Icp hovers between 15k and 16 k then. At this point voltage is at 10.8, rpms are 135, pulse width is fluctuating between 3-6us. No smoke. The reservoir has been flushed and is up to the top with oil.

Once the icp achieves the 2200 psi, you can hear the labor of the motor to turnover increase, as if it's more difficult.
I've checked oil rails by removing drain plugs, I've removed the fuel lines exiting the fuel bowl, and both have shown oil at rails and fuel exiting bowl. Fuel is not black

Has fresh oil and filter, as well as a jug of archoil 9100.

I have also removed the valve cover to see if the oil spouts were dumping, they are not.

I'm at a loss. Looking for ideas and tests.

Truck originally came to me with an issue of dying over 2000 rpms and slow to build rpm. Replaced all parts and truck fired right up, revved and spooled. Went to move it, it sputtered and died. Hasn't started since. Please help.

ghohouston

Reaction score
64% duty cycle on the ipr seems like there is a high pressure oil leak. Maybe the injector o rings, or something else. Is the 2,200 psi constant, or does it start lower and build up to that temporarily? I had a truck kick my ass once, it would build up to a point, and then die off. Ended up being the high pressure oil pump. How is the solenoid coil on the ipr? Is the tin nut on it tight?

BigBad151

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I was able to get the truck to run finally. I wound up replacing the IPR with genuine Ford, which helped the pressure build quicker, but still no fire. Upon my 20th buzz test it finally kicked a p1219 code, CID stuck low. So I went and took another cps that was known good out of my personal truck and voila.
To help others in the possible future. Just because you show rpms on your dash and computer, does not mean the cps isnt defective. If the clearance between the cps pickup and the crank crank gear are to far apart ( thousandths of an inch), you will get rpm, but the computer wont know where the crank is to initiate injector firing, so it wont fire. Which is what I believe the case to be here.

Thanks again everyone.

Ps. The IDM needs 10.5 volts to fire, some even get away with 9.5v.

BigBad151

Reaction score
By the way. My resting voltage was 12.9, the 10.8 was during the actual continuous cranking, just to clarify.

Latest posts

Members online