08 Widetrack Super 60 in a 2000 Superduty DRW 4x4

565edge

Reaction score
I bought an 08 dana super 60 out of an F-550. This is the widetrack front end. Can I just remove the dually adapters on it and put my 2000 superduty drw front adapters on it? Do I need to change the hubs out? I will buy the PMF 4 link and do the coil swap when I do this. Just not sure about the brakes and the bolt pattern. I also believe this front end is around 6" wider then a f-350 dana 60 out of my truck.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Larger brakes on the F450-550, being the same as the 2015-16 F250-350. Calipers are knuckle specific.

The adapters should bolt on as the new hubs are 8x170 as well, as the parts for rotors are the same as SRW applications of 2015-16 F250-350.

As to the wider track width, you might want to throw a tape measure on and measure from hub face or disc on both. The adapters might be what gives it width. That I don't know.

Last edited:

Towerguy

Reaction score
Wider track width is due to a wider axle, not wider spacers. I've seen photos of the underside of trucks equipped and the lower coil spring perch is clearly separated from the radius arm mounts at least a couple of inches compared to the standard track axle.

Towerguy

Reaction score
Sorry, I misspoke in my last post. The lower spring seat is the same position relative to the radius arm mounts. It is the "C" upright that is spaced farther from the spring seat. Whereas on the F250 and standard width F350 the spring seat is basically cast into the side of the "C", on the widetrack axle the "C" sits outboard of the spring seat by a couple of inches. The lower spring seat appears to be a steel structure welded to the top of the axle tube. The distance between the spring and the upright is where the widetrack gains it's extra width. At least some of it. It is also possible that the adapter are different as well, but judging by the size of the flares that are needed to cover the tires on the widetrack trucks I would guess the axle itself accounts for the difference. I wish I had one laying around to take some measurements and play with. I like the idea of running the wider axle with stock deep backspaced wheels to gain inner clearance for larger tires while keeping scrub radius to a minimum.

565edge

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I am wanting to adapt my 00 f350 brakes to this. Not sure if the bolt pattern for the caliper is in a different location or not. I want to keep my 16" front wheels and I bought the ebc slotted rotors and pads for my axle. I am not sure if I can keep my front wheels with larger brakes.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The whole axle is wider. Lay a passenger axle from a 550 next to a 250. Hubs are also 10 bolt like the wheels. However 05 8x170 hubs will bolt right in then you could use your adapters. But you might need to change the Knuckle too depending on what wheel you run bc of the size of the brakes.

There are other minor differences too.

Jomax

Reaction score
Can’t run 16in wheels.. minimum is 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

565edge

Reaction score
I bought a 08 f250 dana 60 today also. It has 4.10's and matches my rear gears. I want to use the widetrack due to the tighter turning radius. I do believe the 05 an up axles turn sharper then my 00 axle. I know the widetrack does but I think the 05 and up also turn sharper then mine. I don't think my knuckles will work on the bigger super 60 but they might work on the 05 and up dana 60. Ill wait until they come in and compare them all. I do not really need the strength of the super 60 but it would be nice. I am converting to coil spring with PMF 3 link either way. Then I will sale what axles I do not use.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The knuckles will interchange on either. The 05 up axle will turn shorter then yours. On the 250 one you could run your outter knuckle, stub shaft, and then adapter to keep the 16" wheels.

The F550 axle has way bigger axle joints and would require a offset u-joint( if that combo is made) to have the hopes to pull that off. It should simplify things quite a bit to use the 250 one.

blackseven

Reaction score
This is a great thread, I've always wondered about the interchange of axles. I have a 2011 drw f350 and I'd like to swap it out for a wide f450 axle with the bigger brakes. I already have 17 inch wheels, but I'm trying to find one that already has 3.73s to match my rear. I'm guessing a wide front with 3.73 gear doesn't exist. Any advice?

co04cobra

Reaction score
They didn't make the super 60s with 3.73s. I also don't think 17s will clear their brakes.

blackseven

Reaction score
They didn't make the super 60s with 3.73s. I also don't think 17s will clear their brakes.

They did come in the 2014+ trucks, but they never made a wide super 60 housing that came from the factory with the larger 3.73 gears as far as I can tell. There were 2011-206 wide axle DRW F-350's that came from the factory with 17's.

What I'd like to do is find an F-450 front axle from a 2014+ truck, and see what I can swap over. Bonus if I can use the big brakes from the 2014+ trucks, if not, no big deal. The turning radius is the goal.

rhorsers

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me jumping in the thread, but I am trying to get info on my 1999 F350 dually. I definitely want new stock type wheels. Trying to determine if the 08+ wheels can be adapted to the 1999 somewhat "stock".(Such as just swapping hubs). Does anyone know if this is possible without an adapter to change from the 8x170 to 8x200 bolt pattern? How bad is it to swap the coil spring front axle in place of the leaf spring front axle? At the moment I am not too comfortable hauling weight with adapters for the lug pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online