bigger injectors and wmo???

nasty6.6

Reaction score
Has anyone run wmo on bigger injectors like 250/100s without a bunch of smoke at idle??? Does it hurt to go to a single shot injector vs the split shots when running 50-70% wmo?

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I have 235 cc single shots and don't notice any abnormal smoke at all. Maybe a little bit on a cold engine, but after a little running no problem. I have used WMO with mostly ATF in the blend.

bucklee00

Reaction score
I would also like to know.

What tunes are you running with the large injectors? What % WMO are you running to diesel and are the tunes for d2 or WMO specific?

nasty6.6

Reaction score
I have not run wmo in a few weeks. We had 3 of us running w85 w90 w95 trying all different blends of rug but unsuccessful; all of the trucks ran fine but have a solid cloud of smoke all the time @ idle and while driving.
truck one is all stock with DP reg tunes and smokes bad
truck two has stage 2 inj and all else stock and smokes really bad
My truck just smokes bad all the time running it!

Set up filtered to 2 microns and run through a centrifuge. I dont remember the brand but it was not a cheap on I think we paid 2g for the centrifuge. The guy that built the cf says he runs wmo in his 03 and it runs fine on stock tune. But could be sales pitch lol everyone I run into that is attempting has very similar results- lots of smoke!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Waste motor oil huh? I ran it for two years in varying degrees. I approached 80% concentration during hot,summer months. Never had the issues you're speaking of. When it was cold, and egt's were aroumd.300° F it would haze idling. Egts up over 500 and it was gone.

Fuel mileage was excellent
Injector noise (clatter) was reduced
Power was great
It was damn near free too!

bucklee00

Reaction score
^^^ I want to understand what's different from your situation to mine. I have smoke on a stock truck. Not at first, but after a while I do and it's obnoxious

Around how many gallons did you burn?
What percentage?
Mostly highway or city or back roads?
Do you typically drive above 1800rpm ?
Auto or manual?
Mods to engine?
The WMO you used, was it your WMO or did you get it from a shop. Was it WMO or WTO or WHO or what?

We need to figure out what the people with success are doing different than the smokers

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I would burn up to 100 % WMO. With standard tunes I could only see visible smoke on a cold engine. Ran for over 5 years of all percentages tried to stick to waste ATF but would use WMO also. Slightly down on power when towing otherwise couldn't tell the difference. I had sawmps tunes at the time.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I ran 20% WMO and smoked at idle. I didn't like is so I stopped. Tune didn't matter. Just saved a few bucks. On road trips I use it as I don't sit and idle as much. I go up to 30% then. I haul all my fuel with me.

bucklee00

Reaction score
I would burn up to 100 % WMO. With standard tunes I could only see visible smoke on a cold engine. Ran for over 5 years of all percentages tried to stick to waste ATF but would use WMO also. Slightly down on power when towing otherwise couldn't tell the difference. I had sawmps tunes at the time.

I wonder what the key to no smoke was. I'm thinking bigger nozzles to inject the higher viscosity fuel, or because you ran a lot of ATF, which i have heard is good for cleaning. Could guess to your average fuel content per tank? Did you run 100% ATF back to back to back, or was there diesel fuel in there too? Did you ever run back to back tanks of WMO? I'd say I started smoking after running about 100 gallons of my WMO 85 blend. And that is with starting and stopping on D2 for cold shut downs on my obs. The cause of my smoking was coking on the injector nozzles.

How cold does it get in the winter where you are? Also, have you tried any waste oil in that 6.0?

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
^^^ I want to understand what's different from your situation to mine. I have smoke on a stock truck. Not at first, but after a while I do and it's obnoxious

Around how many gallons did you burn?
What percentage?
Mostly highway or city or back roads?
Do you typically drive above 1800rpm ?
Auto or manual?
Mods to engine?
The WMO you used, was it your WMO or did you get it from a shop. Was it WMO or WTO or WHO or what?

We need to figure out what the people with success are doing different than the smokers
My truck WAS stock when I ran it. I cant say without looking at my records but I came home in the summer of 2010 and filled the tank up with filtered, heated atf/wmo. Like I said, haze at idle. Because egt's drop below 500°. At 300° it would haze as you arent burning the oil completely.

No issues.

I burned MY motor oil. I saved it at changes and put it in a 55gal drum. After filtering it was gold colored. Like new 30wt oil. I wouldnt use other peoples as you dont know how clean they are in their practices.

I made bio from some Archer brand oils 60wt oil. I have no idea what it was intended for. It was unused. We actually had a farmer who produces soy bio "cook" it into fuel. It was awesome!! Oil must have many more btu's because power was incredible with 175/80s but much more smoke than the stock ad's. Again, smoke was egt dependent.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Good info tycorr.

Mine ddnt smoke at all driving down the road and very well could have been EGT related. I never noticed more power though. Just wanted to use up a bunch of old oil.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good info tycorr.

Mine ddnt smoke at all driving down the road and very well could have been EGT related. I never noticed more power though. Just wanted to use up a bunch of old oil.

In a higher mileaged 7.3 with injectors it ran good. Nice power.

Im fairly damn sure the smoke is always egt dependent when you are burning oils. I also think.atf burns nicer but you'd be splitting hairs there.

If i ran out of fuel and at home Id filter up a batch and run it. I just was told its not.a.good idea in trucks because it can coke in the injectors. I stopped instead of finding out the hard way.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
In a higher mileaged 7.3 with injectors it ran good. Nice power.

Im fairly damn sure the smoke is always egt dependent when you are burning oils. I also think.atf burns nicer but you'd be splitting hairs there.

If i ran out of fuel and at home Id filter up a batch and run it. I just was told its not.a.good idea in trucks because it can coke in the injectors. I stopped instead of finding out the hard way.

How were you filtering it Ty?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Through a bank of 2mic filters. We had an oil heater that can be used as a preheater for oil burning furnaces. I believe the centrifuge is the preferred method but I didnt want to.shell out the money for one.

Heating it removes entrained moisture. Filtering it removes large particles and finer crap too. Removing the final moisture takes place in the filtering too. Basically the oil was filtered into the storage drum, taken out and heated, filtered again to ensure 12mic before going through three 2mic filters. Then into the tank. Still warm. I usually added it while.the truck.ran.

I also think the truck filtration helps too. If you have a pre/post.pump filtration and a decent fuel.pump Id be even less concerned.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, if you dont have alot of it, put it in a jug and take it to a recycler. If you saved all your oil for a while and have the ability to use it then its a decent idea. I had 185 gal of clean(no water,coolant, or other bs) used oil. Had the ability to scrub it. Had a heater as an extra safeguard. I ran the stuff with abandon. There were times the truck was running on it entirely in the summer months. Hell, even if you fill the tank to half and then go home and top it off with earl!

Free fuel...well, you had to buy it initially but repurposing it in place of.something expensive is a win. Figure your used oil is worth 60-80$ in a half tank scenario.

Latest posts

Members online