Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 94-97 Aftermarket

Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default OBS 05+ axle swap

Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2006 rolling chassis to perform a front and rear axle swap into my 97 OBS F250. Before I do I want to make sure I get my ducks in a row and know what else is needed. I've read on several forums it's mostly bolt on, I've also read it's expensive, also that the brake system will need attention (hydroboost conversion), special adapter fittings to fit the super duty calipers, can't use original OBS hangers in the rear, etc. etc.

So with that said, can anybody share any experiences? I'm budget minded and I want to know what I'll be looking at in a rough total $ amount in extra expenses. The only reason I'm looking into the 05+ swap is because I can get the entire rolling chassis for $900. I was originally just planning on getting an 86-97 D60 and swap the TTB.

Thanks a lot in advance! I can't tell you all how much I've learned already from powerstrokearmy.com and I really appreciate it
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I am also interested, as i have a 96 F350 that i want to convert to 4x4, with the 05+ chassis.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Cool project! Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread. I want to get an OBS for my oldest daughter and it would be cool to swap in the nicer front and rear. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Here is a good thread on it if you haven't seen it yet. I plan to do this to my 95 one day.
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forum...9303&showall=1

Lord help me be the man my son thinks I am.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78f100 View Post
Here is a good thread on it if you haven't seen it yet. I plan to do this to my 95 one day.
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forum...9303&showall=1
That's an epic thread. I remember looking through it before. Thanks for posting it up!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
That's an epic thread. I remember looking through it before. Thanks for posting it up!
It's saved as a favorite on my phone....

Lord help me be the man my son thinks I am.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsalz View Post
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2006 rolling chassis to perform a front and rear axle swap into my 97 OBS F250. Before I do I want to make sure I get my ducks in a row and know what else is needed. I've read on several forums it's mostly bolt on, I've also read it's expensive, also that the brake system will need attention (hydroboost conversion), special adapter fittings to fit the super duty calipers, can't use original OBS hangers in the rear, etc. etc.

So with that said, can anybody share any experiences? I'm budget minded and I want to know what I'll be looking at in a rough total $ amount in extra expenses. The only reason I'm looking into the 05+ swap is because I can get the entire rolling chassis for $900. I was originally just planning on getting an 86-97 D60 and swap the TTB.

Thanks a lot in advance! I can't tell you all how much I've learned already from powerstrokearmy.com and I really appreciate it
Do you have the steering box still on chassis?
David Lott >SDRCM #1<
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination. Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
Do you have the steering box still on chassis?
I do not know for certain if is still on the chassis, from reading the other thread that was linked above it looks like the steering box will also be an issue. Do you think it would be easier to swap in the Super Duty steering box or retrofit the setup to my OBS? Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate this! I haven't bought the chassis yet because I'm pretty much torn right down the middle between doing the 05+ swap or the kingpin D60 front only.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsalz View Post
I do not know for certain if is still on the chassis, from reading the other thread that was linked above it looks like the steering box will also be an issue. Do you think it would be easier to swap in the Super Duty steering box or retrofit the setup to my OBS? Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate this! I haven't bought the chassis yet because I'm pretty much torn right down the middle between doing the 05+ swap or the kingpin D60 front only.
Much easier mechanical wise to use the 05 steering box
David Lott >SDRCM #1<
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination. Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
Much easier mechanical wise to use the 05 steering box
Ok, thanks. I take it you have done this conversion before? Are these newer axles better serviceability-wise or would I be stepping backward in that direction compared to the TTB? I also want to make sure that I'm setting myself up for smooth maintenance