Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket

Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default D-Leted Cold Start Concerns

Hey guys, just about ready to pull the trigger on ******** my 2016 F350.. I just have some concerns regarding cold starts. It often reaches -30C (-22F) where I live and I'm not always able to plug in. My previous truck (2014 Cummins) used to smoke an embarrassing amount while warming up, like hazing out parking lots embarrassing. Pretty certain I'll be using the Ez Lynk for the device, just wanted some opinions on different tuners. Thanks!

-Joe
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM
<How I Fly
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck_joe View Post
Hey guys, just about ready to pull the trigger on ******** my 2016 F350.. I just have some concerns regarding cold starts. It often reaches -30C (-22F) where I live and I'm not always able to plug in. My previous truck (2014 Cummins) used to smoke an embarrassing amount while warming up, like hazing out parking lots embarrassing. Pretty certain I'll be using the Ez Lynk for the device, just wanted some opinions on different tuners. Thanks!

-Joe
won't be an issue. hit me up if i can make you a deal on that EZ Lynk !

6.7 5" Custom Cold Air Intakes Available

H&S Motorsports Authorized Retailer

1-800-581-8986

Click the banner below for all things No Limit Diesel
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I'd have to disagree with Mike on this one...it was single digits here a week or so ago and after sitting at work for 8 hours with no plug in, I was puffing more than a Cheech and Chong scene. My boss even drove over and asked if everything was ok...

Its not just me tho, nearly everyone that is d-leeted asks why their truck is smoking so much. It just boils down to the block being so cold that it can't burn all the fuel injected, hence the bluish smoke. At -20F, I'm positive its gonna smoke but how much you're tolerant of is up to you.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 AM
General
Member's Gallery

just think of when the d p f was intact.. all that smoke was getting collected and clogging it up.. lol

all non emissions diesels smoke.. period.. my 2012 6.7 smokes instantly on startup when it is below freezing till the vgt vanes close.. unless it is in the negative digits then it takes a few..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

If I cold started mine it would let out a haze, but not enough to smoke out a parking lot or anything bad. One trick is to have it on a small tune for cold starts, not performance should fuel a little less so it burns more of it up. Either way you will probably get some smoke, shouldn't get fog cloud around your truck though.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Fair enough, anyone have experiences running different tunes in the cold? Was hoping to get a bit of a comparison between the big names out there.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

You could ask your tuner to raise rail pressure to help? I know on my 6.4 I upped the pressure and increased the pilot injection and that thing barely smokes even at -10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 12:04 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY NOT View Post
If I cold started mine it would let out a haze, but not enough to smoke out a parking lot or anything bad. One trick is to have it on a small tune for cold starts, not performance should fuel a little less so it burns more of it up. Either way you will probably get some smoke, shouldn't get fog cloud around your truck though.
I guess I have always been used to my 7.3s cold starts and never tried different tunes.. mine is in the race tune(not extreme as it wont hold rail) and it still smokes way less then the old dinosaurs.. lol

live life full throttle

Old 12-29-2016, 12:16 PM
<How I Fly
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetExpress_6.7 View Post
I'd have to disagree with Mike on this one...it was single digits here a week or so ago and after sitting at work for 8 hours with no plug in, I was puffing more than a Cheech and Chong scene. My boss even drove over and asked if everything was ok...

Its not just me tho, nearly everyone that is d-leeted asks why their truck is smoking so much. It just boils down to the block being so cold that it can't burn all the fuel injected, hence the bluish smoke. At -20F, I'm positive its gonna smoke but how much you're tolerant of is up to you.
ive yet to have any calls about this , maybe it's due to not being plugged in or the type of tuning ? i'm certainly interested, and would love to work on a solution .

6.7 5" Custom Cold Air Intakes Available

H&S Motorsports Authorized Retailer

1-800-581-8986

Click the banner below for all things No Limit Diesel
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
ive yet to have any calls about this , maybe it's due to not being plugged in or the type of tuning ? i'm certainly interested, and would love to work on a solution .
My 6.7 smoked pretty good when cold also. Anything below 30 degrees and she would haze. Below zero it was embarrassing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk