The Great Debate

danich95

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first bigger gooseneck trailer. Always just had regular bumper pull bobcat trailers. I have plenty of seat time pulling goosenecks so I'm not worried there... the question is how big do i want to go :shrug:
Thinking either 20+5 or 25+5. Would be with mega ramps either way. Will also be tandem, dual 10k pound axles

cbf9703

Reaction score
We get by with a 20+5, but definitely would take a little extra room if we were starting over.

Some will say bigger is always better, but having had a few trailers from 20+ to 36+ (for hauling the trucks and off-road toys), I'm in the balance your needs for length and maneuverability camp.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I had a 28+5 and loved it. I sold it to buy a 30’ load trail with single wheel axles since the dual tandems were too much for what I haul.

08Monster

Reaction score
What are you going to haul and why do you want duals?

Reason I ask, they don't really add much weight capacity for the cost. When I recently bought one, I got a tandem single with a gvwr of 16k, trailer weighs 5k.

The tandem dual had a gvwr of 22k, trailer weighed 8k. Not much difference in weight capacity for double the cost.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Inline6359

Reaction score
I’m not sure what manufacturer you’re using, and I can only compare cornpro 14 to 25k because that’s what I have. But my 25k is 2000 pounds heavier then the 14, and I can legally put over 10k more on the 25k. Trailer weighs in at 6800.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
What will be the primary purpose and are there any restrictions such as tow vehicle, tight driveways/entrances, etc.

My 36' Load Max can be difficult to get into some driveways... doesn't help that tractor bar axles hang out an extra 8" or so. But, as an all around trailer, 27+5 is hard to beat.

danich95

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's primary purpose will be a Bobcat track machine and a couple attachments. Or a mini excavator. Pulling with a 2014 srw f350

java

Reaction score
I have a PJ 27+5 with dual tandem 12k axels and monster ramps. For what I use it for its perfect. Sometimes I wouldn't mind some extra space but for the most part it's perfect, I can get into most places easily with that trailer and my ccsb.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
If you're going to pull anything tracked get a tilt. Better for the tracks.

You can pull tracks on something with ramps but if the main cargo is tracked equipment get the tilt.

C2tuck

Reaction score
If you're going to pull anything tracked get a tilt. Better for the tracks.

You can pull tracks on something with ramps but if the main cargo is tracked equipment get the tilt.

X2

Track crawler cranes on trailers with ramps and it’s harder for it to get traction on them, plus you hit the “tipping point” and I still want to **** myself...at least in a crane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
X2

Track crawler cranes on trailers with ramps and it’s harder for it to get traction on them, plus you hit the “tipping point” and I still want to **** myself...at least in a crane.

As much as we're on and off the lowboy at work, we wish they'd let us side load.

As for ramps vs tilt, folding ramps with angle iron treads aren't bad for minis and skid steers. Worse time I've ever had loading was putting a tracked skid steer (brand new 2017 CAT) onto a tilt deck after running it in snow. Muddy tracks are a similar experience. I've never really had a problem loading with ramps that have angle iron treads, except that one time in the rain with a rubber tired skid steer onto a deck over tag trailer.

C2tuck

Reaction score
As much as we're on and off the lowboy at work, we wish they'd let us side load.

As for ramps vs tilt, folding ramps with angle iron treads aren't bad for minis and skid steers. Worse time I've ever had loading was putting a tracked skid steer (brand new 2017 CAT) onto a tilt deck after running it in snow. Muddy tracks are a similar experience. I've never really had a problem loading with ramps that have angle iron treads, except that one time in the rain with a rubber tired skid steer onto a deck over tag trailer.

Yeah, there usually not bad, but we have some new trailers and the ramps need some attention.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online