364.5 SXE to 366 SXE worthwhile?

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Currently running the "small" 364.5 SXE with 68mm exducer and 76 Turbine wheel with .91AR housing as that's the kit from DP and I didn't know any better at the time which was a year ago. I've been wondering with my injectors and other supporting mods if the 366SXE with 1.0 AR would be worth the upgrade meaning is there some "left on the table" with the small 364.5? It runs a heck of a lot better than the 38R it replaced so no issues with it really.

Truck is DD and Towing either a 34' 5th wheel or a large dump trailer at 10k mostly. with selling the current SXE, wouldn't be out too much.

Should I consider a .91 AR as the exducer/turbine wheel is larger on the 366?

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Did you compare the lb/min? Did you take a look-see out your right mirror when towing at the exhaust? I'm assuming it's running super awesome and rainbows and unicorns are shooting out the exhaust since it's not running one of those degenerate 38r's?

Back to the topic, if it's great why ***k with it? Need chaos in your life?

There's no answer to this really. If you are of good means, try the other one out and then you'll know.

I was privy to use a truck with a 366sxe and some tiny assed 100% nozzles and I couldn't wait to get out of that thing. Not sure if I hated the charger or the the likely culprit the nozzles. To me stock or 200% as trying to control heat with in betweener nozzles sucks.

Alas this wasn't part of your question. So I say do it

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I do not disagree with the leave it alone statement! It is far better than the 38R and work very well! I'm not interested in buying the 366 if it isn't going to clearly improve overall performance over the 364. There may not be enough time with the SXE's yet, but thought I'd put it out there in case there is and folks have experience that says the 366 would be much better...

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
I didn't say that. I made a jab at the 38r comment. We used em for ten years and didnt have trouble. Two years ago everybody new started a "38r turbos don't work" club and I scoff that they are still the reference point for if an sxe is performing well.

I'm hoping you get the drift this time. As stated, if your truck is utilizing the fuel you have going to a larger charger will technically do nothing. Perhaps move the curve a bit one way or the other. Looking at turbo maps will tell you all of this.

So no, I can't see a 366 being worlds of improvement over a 364.5sxe.

Again, if you want an answer on here it would behoove you to explain how the setup is working now.

Edit:to clarify I'm running 250/200s and a 38r that been modified for more flow on both sides and I like smaller quick spooning turbo if you are heavy or towing versus building the rig for topend

jbolen323

Reaction score
7.3s like bigger turbos and run them very well.

id say s369 or even the new s372 has a lot of people talking.

I might have some data end of the summer time, i have a basb aka like a s364 and might get it changed up to a s369, but i can already break 500hp on 160cc/100 in it.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
7.3s like bigger turbos and run them very well.

id say s369 or even the new s372 has a lot of people talking.

I might have some data end of the summer time, i have a basb aka like a s364 and might get it changed up to a s369, but i can already break 500hp on 160cc/100 in it.

Im going to the 369sxe...probably staying with 250/200s...

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Ah yes, sarcasm, I did miss that and thought you were bashing the 38R. I had a 38R and towed a lot with it. Always was unimpressed with low to mid range compared with the modded stock turbo and the noise of it was too much. As it turned out, with about 15k miles it started leaking oil out the exhaust and there was no way I was buying another.

The "small" 364.5 is responsive and a big improvement all around over the 38R. With the 1023 econo tune, there isn't much hazing when getting on the throttle and the truck barks second gear which is fun. Moving up to the street shredder, there is more black smoke until the rpms/boost catches up and a lot more smoke with cummins killer. Truck hauls ass in those two hotter tunes. No noticeable smoking in tow tune.

In the back of my mind, I am playing the engineer role with the setup and am unsure if the turbo I have optimizes all the parts or is there a goodly amount of performance, EGT reduction, etc to be had.

I have a solid quad feed fuel system with the pressure gauge after filter, it is stable and the hpop in prior datalogging with 1023 tunes looks good.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
If the truck is smoking past 10psi in those hotter files you are leaving a lot on the table.....but if it tows well and is clean in that regard you have to decide if you want a clean fun truck or a clean tow rig. Or throw a bigger snail on and hope it will still tow well or you can tow in a hotter file...

TMCCOY

Reaction score
This is the line of thought I had. A bigger turbo includes an element of guessing and it could make towing or stop n' go driving worse. It's a bit of money and effort to take the gamble. Probably leave well enough alone until more 'evidence' is available to support trying it.

Reaction score
I made 750/1350 with a 364.5/74/.91, so if you have the bigger exhaust turbin I doubt you're leaving anything on the table

Last edited:

TMCCOY

Reaction score
The 364.5 I got from DP as part of their pre configured kit is the smaller 68mm version with .91AR housing. I suppose it will spool the fastest of any other combo.

Reaction score
It's funny there's always a non believer

It also went 12.85 with a DA of 6900'

It was in a cclb 6.7 with a dual fueler. Here is the dyno screen shot and the ticket from the track, although I dont know the weight.

Attachments

• 20170318_110043.jpg
    20170318_110043.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170312_194546.jpg
    20170312_194546.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
Duh! A 6.7 is slightly different than a 7.3. That’s like me coming into the 7.3 section of the forum and saying I made 793hp with no turbo....

.....on a 540 Merlin boat engine!

Strokersace

Reaction score
It's funny there's always a non believer

It also went 12.85 with a DA of 6900'

It was in a cclb 6.7 with a dual fueler. Here is the dyno screen shot and the ticket from the track, although I dont know the weight.

This is also the 7.3 section. Not even a comparison! So...

mcnance865

Reaction score
I think the point is that in a 7.3, the 364.5 will not clean up the fuel needed to get to that range. That is why it "won't work" for that power level.

Latest posts

Members online