7.3 HEUI nozzles

V-Ref

Reaction score
I've got to think this has been tried already....but..gonna ask anyhow..

But have any 7.3 HEUI injector builders experimented with 7, 8, 9..10 hole nozzles?

Is the spray dispersion angle effed with from a 100% to a 200% to 400% nozzle or is it usually the same?

I thank the 7.3 smart guys in advance for contributing to the discussion.

Square away my ASSumption that stock/current 7.3 hipo injectors nozzles are 6 hole?

And if this is secret squirrel proprietary skunkwork stuff, I'm ignorant to it...just an honest question.

Thanks.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Tadd at Elite was talking about making some 9 hole nozzles years ago for a set of injectors...

Got lost in all the 6.4 stuff I think...

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thanks. Is it proprietary stuff or old news? Id thought there might be something here to discuss.

Do you know the hole size and spray angle?

GreenF350

Reaction score
I know at one time a lot of the aftermarket nozzles were 5 hole, not sure if they still are. IIRC it was because the DT466 nozzles were 5 holes, but I might be talking out my hind end on that.
-Aaron

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
My guess would be nozzle strength as there honed out.. You hear about 400% nozzles cracking sometimes im assuming with 5 holes so more would make it worse?

V-Ref

Reaction score
Stock is 7 hole.

Thanks stang.

My guess would be nozzle strength as there honed out.. You hear about 400% nozzles cracking sometimes im assuming with 5 holes so more would make it worse?

That's kinda what I'm hoping to bring out....rather unsuccessfully...I might add.:shrug:

So nobody's tried a 5 hole "400% equivalent" or a 9 hole "400% equivalent"?

How about spray angle? Has anyone tried anything other than stock?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I think I see where you are going V-ref. I also think that whether it's 5 hole, or 7 hole etc., the holes will still need to have roughly the same aggregate size to flow the same amount. In turn I think that is limited by the surface area of the nozzle. A larger 5 hole will most likely not use that surface area as efficiently as a 7 hole. I'm not sure about a 9 hole, but I think friction of the sides of the hole may come into play, which leads to thoughts of highly polished holes. I don't have the math for the questions, but HRT certainly would, and of course Charles, if he deigned this thread worthy of reply. LOL

TARM

Reaction score
The only real answer would be to have custom larger thus thicker nozzles made that would then require modification to the cup and port (enlarging the hole). The only other possibility I can think of would be to go to a different alloy that would handle the specific stress nozzles see but that may not be worthwhile.

I would think there certainly has been some work done in the area of spray angle and or pattern as some have done custom piston bowls that I think would dictate this having to be done for performance. It likely is stuff not talked about on the net......

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You really can't change the angle. The piston bowl (Mexican hat design) is designed for an exact angle.